WiFi automatically connects

unitedflow

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm having major issues with WiFi after the kit Kat update. I've turned off WiFi optimization and my WiFi still automatically turns itself on even though I have WiFi off. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Settings -> Mobile Data -> Automatic Connections. Uncheck the box. At least that's how it works on sprint.

Snapdragon Battery Guru will do this as well, but if you didn't change any battery guru settings and it only showed up post 4.4, it's probably the former.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Just to be sure we are on the same page, you have WiFi turned off, and you've gone into the settings and chose not to be notified when a WiFi connection is available, but WiFi is still turning on? Are you also getting the notification that WiFi is available or no? Settings>WiFi>Menu (3 Dots)>Notify me (when launching apps, notify me when WiFi is available) unchecked

If this is the case then my feeling is that you have an app that is turning on your WiFi and trying to connect. When you notice it you can do two things that may tell you which one it is or help you figure it out. When it appears you can go to Settings>Apps>Running apps and skim through the list to see if you notice anything running that might turn on your WiFi by its self. It probably won't be screaming "here I am", but you know your apps better than anyone and may see one that stands out. Alternately if something is running enough to turn on your WiFi it is probably consuming battery as well so you could also check Settings>Power>Usage for anything unusual there also.

Other options that may help identify if something is turning on your WiFi for you are answering the following questions;
Has this been an ongoing issue, or can you say it started around X time? This could be an indicator of an app that was installed and may help you narrow down the cause.

Have you installed any apps that have a lower rating? My rule is nothing goes on my device under 3 stars, but that's me. Anyway to this end go to your installed apps through the Play Store app and look at the app ratings and consider what the app is, for each app that may look for or want a WiFi connection. Then read the bad reviews. The one and two star reviews look for any that mention WiFi, because if it's annoying to you it's annoying to someone else and they'll post their feelings in the reviews.

unitedflow

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
And I forgot to say that it only turns on when I'm close to a WiFi connection even though my WiFi on the phone is off.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
And I forgot to say that it only turns on when I'm close to a WiFi connection even though my WiFi on the phone is off.

Well it sounds like something is causing it to check for Wi-Fi periodically and actually turn on when it sees one. I'm not sure if "Air Push" could detect something like that or not? You might try it just for S&G.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
If it is a wifi icon with a !, I believe that is just telling you there is a wifi connection available. When you say it is off are you sure that the wifi tab is not blue?

pdubb4866

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I deleted the htc dot view app and it seemed to do the trick. This problem had me going crazy for a week, but as I was going through some of the permissions on some apps that we're running when I noticed wifi turning on I saw that htc dot view app connects to wifi by itself. Easy for me to delete it because I don't have that case and probably shouldn't have downloaded it anyway

pdubb4866

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I thought I found the problem, but I didn't. The problem turned out to be that I had a WiFi manager checking my saved WiFi networks from tmobile's account manager app. I took that off and WiFi hasn't come up again. That drove me crazy.

Sandra Mesa

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I deleted the HTC Dot View by accident because I do have that case, but I haven't been able to install it again. The latest version, when downloaded shows a message of "Incompatible with other applications(s) using the same shared user ID". I have no Idea what to do and I already restored my phone to fabric mode. Do you have any idea of how to recover it?

Sandra Mesa

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I thought I found the problem, but I didn't. The problem turned out to be that I had a WiFi manager checking my saved WiFi networks from tmobile's account manager app. I took that off and WiFi hasn't come up again. That drove me crazy.

I deleted the HTC Dot View by accident because I do have that case, but I haven't been able to install it again. The latest version, when downloaded shows a message of "Incompatible with other applications(s) using the same shared user ID". I have no Idea what to do and I already restored my phone to fabric mode. Do you have any idea of how to recover it?