How to find a good charger

JamesMore

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a number of usb chargers and usb cables is there a good app to show how much much power the charger/usb cable is sending. I am sure some of them are giving a slow charge. Right now I am plugged in to a charger and in the last 5 min I have only charged 1%

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
every quality charger should have the output voltage and current printed on it.
As far as apps go, battery monitor widget by 3c is pretty accurate. I have used it for years with other HTC devices. It will show the current input when charging and current drain when unplugged.

So FYI,
Stock charger has an output current of 1Amp. or 1000mA. Most standard USB ports on computers have 500mA output.
You can also charge it with a 2Amp charger as the device will limit itself from drawing to much current.
If i had to guess id say your using 500mA or 750mA charger now.

JamesMore

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I left the phone charging and in 2 hours it's up to 33% and that's with no phone use at all. Using what appears to be a stock htc charger.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
according to that screen shot your device is charging at a rate of 45mA. Not the 500, 750 or 1000mA that most chargers output.
Remember IF your device is on and theres an app that is malfunctioning and causing heavy usage your device will suffer when its charging.
Its having to divert energy from charging to general usage.
I think you need to take a step back from the charging and answer us this. Is your device draining battery fast? is it running hot?
If so fix that issue first then worry about the charger.
Also, look for some small writing on the wall plug of the charger. It should tell you what the output is.
5V at xxxxmAh

JamesMore

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your input 6-9, I wish the power useage would be able to drill down on the Android os a little more here is a screen shot of the useage

Here is the charger it's meant to be a new htc charger but like most things from eBay , it's not new and maybe it's not outputting what it should eg 5v 1amp

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You could try to put the battery monitor widget on your screen and see the current input when your charging. I use the same app and its pretty accurate.
But i still stand by my statement of checking to see if something isnt draining your device. That will cause it to seem to charge slow because its consuming so much energy while charging.
Also i have one of these Amazon.com : USB Power Meter : Computer Usb Cables : Computers & Accessories
its great for actually testing the voltage and current output of power adapters.

JamesMore

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks 6-9. Ordered a cheap usb power monitor could not justify your one as it's a little pricey. Will look for a app to monitor power usage as well

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I understand. I picked that one based on 2 things. User reviews and the one i wanted was sold out. So that one was my 2nd choice. I also manage a smart phone repair shop and it has come in handy many times when trying to troubleshoot charging issues.
So far i have found 2 bad chargers and a couple of troublesome cables, so its already paid for its self now.
For HTC devices what you have is good, BatteryMonitor Widget Pro by 3c is a great app. Works well on other devices but not all support direct mAh usage statistics. Samsung for one doesnt support it with that app. He explained it a while back but i forget the reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95