Problem Updating

Chukklz9413

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new this forum and was wondering if you guys could help me out. I recently bought an HTC One off ebay and when I first turned it on it has that red message indicating a build used for development only, which I'm assuming means that the boot loader is unlocked. When I go to update the software to get android 4.4 and the new version of sense the phone restarts and then a Clock Work Mod window pops up saying there was an installation error. Is there any way to get rid of Clock Work or get the original software version back on the phone so that I can update it? I'm new to this whole thing so I don't want to mess around updating it through custom ROMs for fear of bricking it. Any and all help is appreciated!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how to tell what edition of the device you have. Did the seller have anything in their posting about developers edition or Google edition device or mention that the device was rooted? Anyway I'm just asking because that detail may help someone else better guide you to the solution.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure if you are seeing CWM when you start up that your device is rooted. That can be good news or bad news depending on how you look at it. Considering this is your first post at AC it may be more bad than good. With a rooted device you can have any OS you want, with just about any features you want. That's the good news. The not so good news or maybe bad news is you will have to install the ROM to do that, which means you will have to learn a little about rooting. Rooted devices cannot do the OTA updates which I'm guessing is why you get the error.

I believe you options are one of the following if I'm right about you being rooted;

You can unroot the device and go back to stock. Then do the OTA, or

You can stay rooted and load a 4.4 with sense 5.5 ROM

Either way I think you should go over to XDA join that forum and post as you did here. At XDA they are mostly about the ROMs, rooting, and developer type stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance