Not getting automatic APN settings from network when switching SIMs

Nomaed

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, hive.

My phone (HTC One, T-Mobile edition, unlocked) doesn't seem to get APN settings from network when I am switching SIM cards.
I recently traveled abroad with a friend (who also has HTC One, although international), and once he put the local SIM in, he got the local APN settings automatically (Vodafone P), while I had to go back to the store so they input my settings manually.

When I got back home, and insert my local SIM card (Orange IL), I had to re-enter the local APNs manually, while my friend got his local APNs from the network.

In the past, when I was using Samsung's Galaxy Note and Galaxy S1, I got the APNs automatically as well.

What could be the reason for that, and how can I "fix" this?

Thanks!

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, hive.

My phone (HTC One, T-Mobile edition, unlocked) doesn't seem to get APN settings from network when I am switching SIM cards.
I recently traveled abroad with a friend (who also has HTC One, although international), and once he put the local SIM in, he got the local APN settings automatically (Vodafone P), while I had to go back to the store so they input my settings manually.

When I got back home, and insert my local SIM card (Orange IL), I had to re-enter the local APNs manually, while my friend got his local APNs from the network.

In the past, when I was using Samsung's Galaxy Note and Galaxy S1, I got the APNs automatically as well.

What could be the reason for that, and how can I "fix" this?

Thanks!

Well, I would say try calling your service provider seeking the the setting I am sure they will help you with manually configuring the VPN server to access the data services.

Nomaed

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I don't need help with manually configuring the APNs (not VPNs). I can configure it manually.
I just want to know why one phone might get the settings automatically, and another wouldn't.
It has nothing to do with the service provider, since it happens with all service providers.
It's phone-specific.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Branded phones come with the branded carriers APN settings. So your TMO device will only have TMOs APNs.
If you got a developer edition, or a google play edition it would have more APNs loaded.
I doubt it would have the APNs you need as your traveling abroad and most phones are sold within specific regions or countries. Also some manufacturers can add or remove APNs based on carrier request or simply because they dont want to put them in the ROM.

Nomaed

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I am certain that HTC Ones can add APNs based on carrier request. I am wondering now if I can enable it on my device or not.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to add your own APN. But thats different from the device coming pre-loaded OR having one sent to your phone via OTA.

Nomaed

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I can add my own APNs manually. Try to get APNs OTA results in an error message from the carrier, saying "dear client, automatic settings cannot be sent to your phone" or something of that sort. And it's annoying.