Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Clearing some memory - have questionable files I want to know if I can delete

I'm looking to clear some memory space on my phone, and under Storage it shows 6.30GB of space is taken up by "Other."

So I go into "Make more space" and 7.02 GB of space is taken up by Miscellaneous. Files in this section include "mobile", ".data", "null", ".showme," etc.

What exactly are these files? Can they be safely deleted or are they part of the OS?

Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    1,997 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

Default Re: Clearing some memory - have questionable files I want to know if I can delete

Quote Originally Posted by monkmullen View Post
    I'm looking to clear some memory space on my phone, and under Storage it shows 6.30GB of space is taken up by "Other."

So I go into "Make more space" and 7.02 GB of space is taken up by Miscellaneous. Files in this section include "mobile", ".data", "null", ".showme," etc.

What exactly are these files? Can they be safely deleted or are they part of the OS?

Thanks in advance!
    Unless your phone is rooted you shouldn't have concerns because the system's critical files will not delete. If you have root than obviously you would have to be careful seeing that rooting a device gives you more access to the system files. I delete stuff than when I reboot my phone the file is back. You will be alright.
    Current Device: ‚Äč Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

Current Carrier: Sprint

Default Re: Clearing some memory - have questionable files I want to know if I can delete

If you want to find out more, you should probably use a file manager and find those files. Often they're contained in folders that have the same name as applications, or the company who made an app. This might give you an idea about what the files are and whether you can safely delete them or not.