Microphone repair??

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
My microphone on my phone has started to act up on me. During a live chat with HTC they had me do something called a partition reset and then a factory reset to no avail. Basically the microphone cuts in and out during calls, but the weird part is it works perfectly fine on speakerphone or when I use my zello app.
HTC said I could send it in, what really grinds my gears is that this phone is out of it's factory warranty by 4 or 5 weeks. Never fails. Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with sending their phone into HTC for repairs.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure it is a repairable problem. If you do a quick search you'll find that the M7 has a known issue with fade in fade out while on calls. Mine for instance is not with the mic mine is with hearing the caller, but other have reported the opposite problem. I've never heard of a solution for this either by replacement or otherwise. However, exactly as you have stated the mic seems to work fine with apps. Since there are 2 mics something you can do to test weather it is a mic issue is take a call on speaker phone and see if the problem persists. Speaker phone calls, and recording turns on both mics, so you could also record something and play it back someplace where you can separate the channels and fade the left and right out to see if there is a difference. If you find as I suspect that there is no difference between the left and right channels you may want to reconsider your repair. Mics are located on the bottom and the back of the device.

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. It works fine on speakerphone, those I am talking to while on speakerphone can hear fine, but when I turn the speakerphone off they say I sound "like I'm underwater". What do mean when you say I may want to reconsider having repaired? Is HTC unable to repair the microphone or whatever is causing this issue? I really hate having a phone I really like and not being able to use its most basic function. What really upsets me is how this happened right after the warranty went out.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the recoding and checking channels left and right? As far as the repair thing, I was just saying if it isn't broke paying to not fix it doesn't make sense to me.

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Well after two weeks, due the to the 4th of July holiday, I got my phone back. HTC repaired my phone for $58. All seems to be working fine. I was expecting some sort of repair order with my phone showing what had been repaired but nothing came back with it. For me it was worth it, as the phone is barely over a year old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995