Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wi-Fi help please.

Can somebody please tell me how to make this phone stop automatically turning the wi-fi on. I got my phone back from repair and now its automatically turning wi-fi on when I do not want it to. Here is a screen shot of the settings I have checked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wi-Fi help please.-screenshot_2014-07-09-07-53-23.jpg  
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

Default Re: Wi-Fi help please.

i leave my WIFI on 24/7. battery usage is insignificant. but if you insist - try toggling the wifi widget toggle off.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i leave my WIFI on 24/7. battery usage is insignificant. but if you insist - try toggling the wifi widget toggle off.
    I've done that under the quick settings menu, I'll turn it off and the next time I check my phone the wi-fi is back on by its self. Its not instant, but usually within 15-30 minutes. I would have thought leaving the wi-fi on all the time would have been a drain if there is no wi-fi around to hook up to.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygramps1 View Post
    I've done that under the quick settings menu, I'll turn it off and the next time I check my phone the wi-fi is back on by its self. Its not instant, but usually within 15-30 minutes. I would have thought leaving the wi-fi on all the time would have been a drain if there is no wi-fi around to hook up to.
    just leave it on. no big battery drain at all. it just does a little low power sniff to look for saved WIFI networks. i just leave it on 24/7. it's good to use WIFI when possible - WIFI uses less battery than cellular, WIFI is free, WIFI is fast.
    grumpygramps1 likes this.

Let me guess, Your with Sprint?
    IF you answered YES then you need to disable the Sprint Network Optimization crap they put on the phone.
    This forces WiFi on all the time to get you off their network.
    If your NOT on sprint im out of suggestions.
    grumpygramps1 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes I'm with Sprint, didn't think to mention that. I will try that here shortly. THANK YOU.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    Let me guess, Your with Sprint?
    IF you answered YES then you need to disable the Sprint Network Optimization crap they put on the phone.
    This forces WiFi on all the time to get you off their network.
    If your NOT on sprint im out of suggestions.
    This solved the problem, thank you!!!

I remember fighting with that software prior to leaving Sprint for TMO.
    It seemed like every time i rebooted my phone the software magically turned its self back on. I hated it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    I remember fighting with that software prior to leaving Sprint for TMO.
    It seemed like every time i rebooted my phone the software magically turned its self back on. I hated it.
    I went into apps menu and disabled the Sprint Optimization and now I longer have the issue with wi-fi turning on by itself. THANKS AGAIN.

Global Posts
    31,632 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygramps1 View Post
    I went into apps menu and disabled the Sprint Optimization and now I longer have the issue with wi-fi turning on by itself. THANKS AGAIN.
    Future reference, don't go into that app again. It is defaulted to reenable that when you even go to look. I hated it with a passion when I had devices with it.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Future reference, don't go into that app again. It is defaulted to reenable that when you even go to look. I hated it with a passion when I had devices with it.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
    Thanks, I haven't looked back it since, but will keep that in mind if I happen to open it.