can't open download files

Mickey Ellch

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I have HTC One Max and just today I can't open any download files. States files not supported. I've installed some software but uninstalled due to this problem. Help!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Do you recall if you tried to open the file before and it gave you an option to select an app, and you also chose to make it the default?

What files are you trying to open?

Mickey Ellch

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I usually open with Kindle, and until I downloaded some software (antivirus) I am unable to open pdf files I got from my banking website, recipes, etc. I've since deleted the software I downloaded and can open new pdf files but still can't open previous files.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You uninstalled the antivirus? I'm glad you got your files working. Just a note about android. If you Google Android viruses you'll find that there really aren't any actual viruses. Android is a sandboxed OS and therefore is at a very low risk for viruses. Antivirus apps really do more harm than good, because they are always running in the background eating up your battery more than protecting you. A lot of times they include app killers and memory or battery managers which also do more to drain your battery than help you. Usually if there is a problem with your device it's a rouge app that has too many permissions or is from a dev that is not on the up and up. Granted some of these apps are found in the Play Store, but as a precaution what works better are these simple rules for adding apps to your device;
1. Do not download apps that are less than 3.5 stars.
This goes hand in hand with "Don't be the first" and "Read the reviews". If an app has just as many 5 star reviews as 1 star it's probably not something you want on your device. Also if the app only has a few hundred downloads it hasn't been vetted enough to have a stable base from which to base a review rating. Don't be the first to test an app, wait and see what others are saying.
2. Read the reviews.
Not the 5 star reviews the 1 and 2 star reviews. Those will be the ones that tell you what is really going on with an app. Those will usually also be the ones that tell you what issues there are with an app.
3. Use apps by the service you want to use.
If you want to use an app for banking who are you going to trust the bank you're with or Joe Smoe?

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You uninstalled the antivirus? I'm glad you got your files working. Just a note about android. If you Google Android viruses you'll find that there really aren't any actual viruses. Android is a sandboxed OS and therefore is at a very low risk for viruses. Antivirus apps really do more harm than good, because they are always running in the background eating up your battery more than protecting you. A lot of times they include app killers and memory or battery managers which also do more to drain your battery than help you. Usually if there is a problem with your device it's a rouge app that has too many permissions or is from a dev that is not on the up and up. Granted some of these apps are found in the Play Store, but as a precaution what works better are these simple rules for adding apps to your device;
1. Do not download apps that are less than 3.5 stars.
This goes hand in hand with "Don't be the first" and "Read the reviews". If an app has just as many 5 star reviews as 1 star it's probably not something you want on your device. Also if the app only has a few hundred downloads it hasn't been vetted enough to have a stable base from which to base a review rating. Don't be the first to test an app, wait and see what others are saying.
2. Read the reviews.
Not the 5 star reviews the 1 and 2 star reviews. Those will be the ones that tell you what is really going on with an app. Those will usually also be the ones that tell you what issues there are with an app.
3. Use apps by the service you want to use.
If you want to use an app for banking who are you going to trust the bank you're with or Joe Smoe?

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Mickey Ellch

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the info. I did uninstall the antivirus app. But a few months ago I installed Mobie360 app. My phone came with Verizon Support & Protection plus viaProtect. Just last week, due to the Russian VPN threat, I installed CyberGhost VPN. Your opinion?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc