Multiple Issues with new HTC One M7

lavelle72

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I bought a HTC One M7 on eBay last week, which the listing did say was new & unused. I am in the UK and the phone was delivered from the US.

On receipt of the unit, I am having several functionality issues. I am a newbie to HTC (and Android generally), so forgive me for questions that may be basic.

I have a SIM card in the phone and it is picking up my network.

Overview of issues:
  • Camera - when I click the camera app, I get a message that says 'Unable to start the camera'. It will not open.
  • App Sounds - e.g. I have music on the phone, which doesn't come through the speakers or through earphones. I can open the default app and see my music, and pressing play shows the seconds going by, but no sound. No sound on other apps also. I don't get sound either when I try to make calls.
  • Software Updates - when I go to Settings > About > Software Updates, I can download software updates but when I try run them I get a message saying "Variant System version - you are running a modified version of system software". This prevents me from updated the phone software.

Under Software Information, I see the following:
ANDROID VERSION: 4.4.2
HTC SENSE VERSION: 5.5
SOFTWARE NUMBER: 4.19.401.9
HTC SDK API LEVEL: 5.68

I have tried to get into bootloader mode by powering off, holding the volume down key while also pressing and holding the power button, but it doesn't open that information screen like I would expect. Rather, it loops around from a white screen with a HTC logo, to a blank / black screen. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here or if this signifies another issues.

If anyone has any suggestions on what may be causing these issues, or what I can do to try restore full functionality, it would be much appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The seller was most likely being untruthful. It sounds like the phone was rooted and modified at some point. Maybe that caused problems with the camera and/or the music playback, or maybe those were inherent problems with the unit. In any case, I'd contact the seller, let them know about the problem, and ask for a refund. If the seller refuses, eBay will usually help you resolve disputes. Make sure you have the original listing that claims the device was new and unused--what you're describing clearly contradicts this claim. Good luck!

lavelle72

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks B.Diddy. It's a strange one as this eBay seller has a very high volume of positive reviews so I don't feel it was a purposely misleading. I've already contacted them and been offered a refund.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's also certainly possible that the seller was misled when he acquired that "new and unused" phone to sell--i.e., his source gave him the sealed box, saying it had never been used. But it's pretty easy for anyone to seal a box up and make it look like it's brand new.

Jason Wanye

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Uncheck the fast boot box in the power section of your main settings and try that once...lmk if it works or NOT..I'm very interested in the issue...thanks and good luck BRO

Posted via MY HTC ONE!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay