HTC One (M8): Torn between cases - Dot View or Flip?

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I am having trouble making up my mind so hoping for some opinions and experiences in regards to the Dot View and HTC Flip case. I have read through the current threads and the reviews but have not seen a few things I am looking for to make my mind up. I am hoping to prevent the possibility of buying both cases and want to get it right the first time :D I have never been a case persion - the M8 is the first phone I have used a case on, currently have the Diztronic TPU case. Though the idea of having the screen protected and using a flip style case is appealing instead of the TPU - which I use for Gripability only at this time.

Dot View
  • While seeing time, notifications, weather, etc.. would be cool - I use Hangouts and Gmail and it seems there is no notification for either currently so that is neither a plus or minus for this case.
  • I use a car dock quite frequently. From what I have seen the Dor View case would not work in one - how hard is it to get the phone in and out of the case?
  • Does taking the phone in and out of the case look like it would either wreck the case or damage the phone?
  • Does the case seem like it will hold up well in a pocket? Lint in the holes?
HTC Flip Case
  • Does the case flip over enough to put it into a car dock holder?
  • Does the case seem to offer enough protection/grip around the sides of the phone?
  • How hard it is to one hand the phone with the Flip case one?

I am almost set on either of these two - I do not like the leather type cases and the bulk of some of the other flips. Unless there are other slim and well designed and constructed flip style cases I should look at? Any other thoughts or opinions from people who have used either, or both, would be great! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Torn between cases - Dot View or Flip?

Really good questions. I love the idea of the dot view case. (You can read those ideas here, actually.) But it just doesn't lay flat against the phone when you open it up to type. That's the only thing that's kept me from using it. It's just a deal-breaker for me.

So, I'm using the flip case. It's boring. But it's functional. Keeps me from dropping the phone as much, for sure. And it manages to keep the shape of the phone, which is nice.

As for a car dock, I wouldn't even try with dot view, because of that same issue with the front cover always trying to flip back around. The flip case is going to be a better bet. But either way, both cases are easy enough to get on and off. I have to do that several times a day anyway when taking pictures of the phone. So if it were that difficult, I wouldn't bother.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Torn between cases - Dot View or Flip?

Really good questions. I love the idea of the dot view case. (You can read those ideas here, actually.) But it just doesn't lay flat against the phone when you open it up to type. That's the only thing that's kept me from using it. It's just a deal-breaker for me.

So, I'm using the flip case. It's boring. But it's functional. Keeps me from dropping the phone as much, for sure. And it manages to keep the shape of the phone, which is nice.

As for a car dock, I wouldn't even try with dot view, because of that same issue with the front cover always trying to flip back around. The flip case is going to be a better bet. But either way, both cases are easy enough to get on and off. I have to do that several times a day anyway when taking pictures of the phone. So if it were that difficult, I wouldn't bother.

I keep WANTING to get the Dot View and keep trying to find excuses to make it work. Such a cool idea and case...... I did read through your review and still find myself wanting to make it work..... Might suck it up get the HTC Flip and see if they do a 2nd gen Dot View that fixes the issues with the current one.

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Don't get the dot view case. Good idea if it closed and layed down all the way. With a glass screen protector it's even more trouble. Hopefully an aftermarket company makes a better one like it. It's so bad I'm about to sale my dot view case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz