External Battery Packs/Power Chargers

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has one and what they are using? My little 2300 Anker I used on my other phones broke and my phone does pretty good now but there are times every so often when I need one. Reason I loved the Anker is it had a mini cord built in that folded back inside but it doesn't put out enough 2300 won't do it. I want at least 3000 or more. Something small that charges fast. Any recommendations and nothing real expensive. Thanks!

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I use two. Both Anker I got from Amazon. The first one is a Anker 2nd Gen Astro 6000 mAh. It's small and easy to carry around. In fact I I think it's smaller than my old 2500 mAh one.

The second is the larger Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12000 mAh. A bit larger so I don't carry that one often. More for trips, etc..

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 104348.jpg
    104348.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 104349.jpg
    104349.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 99

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Anker told me about this black one cause we like not having to carry an extra cord but she said it doesn't work with a lot of cases. It comes in 4500 and 6000.My old Anker 2300 had a little cord on the side that was coiled and it folded back up in there. This one is in the front. I don't think I want to take my case off and on all the time cause changing from my commuter to this kickstand case from Amazon kind of messed up my screen protector on the side a little. But this other one the white one is kind of nice too and it's 20 bucks for 5000 but there is a 1000 one for 30. I don't want one too big 5000 is plenty and it's 1/2 the size of the 1000 one. And your Anker 6000 seems nioe and small and says 5v/1amp ande I see 2amp on there too somewhere does that mean it will charge faster cause our phone supports 2amp doesn't it? As long as it does 1 AMP I guess I'm good right? My husband likes are old Anker but I didn't see it anymore on Amazon and it's only 2300 I don't want that. I want to be able to charge my phone 2 times at least or more and he may need to use it also when were out of town. Thanks!

Attachments

• Anker.jpg
    Anker.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 198
  • EasyAcc.jpg
    EasyAcc.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I know what u mean wanting to be able to recharge the phone twice at lease and I wish the new ones had a built in cable but I think their getting away from that style, mostly it seems. The 6000mAh one can charge up to 2A output so yes our M8's will charge at the faster rate. Actually the USB port is what Anker calls a Smart USB so a device like ours that can handle the higher charge rate it'll charge at that faster rate and if you were to hook up a older device that can't handle 2A it'll detect that and charge it slower.

It is small I usually put the external battery in my right front jeans pocket and the phone in my front left using a 3 foot cable so I can take my phone out and use it while it's charging without taking the charger out. It is small enough there's room to put the charger and phone in one pocket and it's not jammed in or anything lol but then I'd use a short 3 Inch USB cable.

Amazon had USB cables at okay prices but I highly recommend getting your USB cable from Monoprice. A really short USB cable like a 3 to 6 inch will be under a dollar each and 3 foot to 6 foot ones are around $1.50 each last time I ordered some. Their good quality cables despite their low price. In fact you'll spend like $4 on shipping so I always order like 6 cables or so to make the $4 shipping feel like a better price.

I will tell you this if you do ever order any cables from Monoprice. I don't now why but last time I ordered a bunch of USB cables the white cables had a thin end on the Micro USB side that goes in our phones vs the black cables were thicker end and wouldn't fit in one of my cases opening where you plug it in. Maybe they changed that but to be safe I'd say order them in white.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I know Monoprice had cheap cables my husband buys from them. But I do want one that is going to charge the phone fast. I am used to my old Anker where I could fit it behind my phone and hold it while I used the phone. Guess I'll decide here soon which one. I like that the 6000 one is a 2A and that it will charge out phone faster. I think our phone now with the phone charger that came with the phone it charges faster than our old M7. I love this phone. But anyway thank you and i'll pick one out here soon.

Edit: I just found one I think I like now but it only has a 1.2 output but it has the built in cord. If it works with my case on I'll be getting this one. http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Exte...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3648365

I know what u mean wanting to be able to recharge the phone twice at lease and I wish the new ones had a built in cable but I think their getting away from that style, mostly it seems. The 6000mAh one can charge up to 2A output so yes our M8's will charge at the faster rate. Actually the USB port is what Anker calls a Smart USB so a device like ours that can handle the higher charge rate it'll charge at that faster rate and if you were to hook up a older device that can't handle 2A it'll detect that and charge it slower.

It is small I usually put the external battery in my right front jeans pocket and the phone in my front left using a 3 foot cable so I can take my phone out and use it while it's charging without taking the charger out. It is small enough there's room to put the charger and phone in one pocket and it's not jammed in or anything lol but then I'd use a short 3 Inch USB cable.

Amazon had USB cables at okay prices but I highly recommend getting your USB cable from Monoprice. A really short USB cable like a 3 to 6 inch will be under a dollar each and 3 foot to 6 foot ones are around $1.50 each last time I ordered some. Their good quality cables despite their low price. In fact you'll spend like $4 on shipping so I always order like 6 cables or so to make the $4 shipping feel like a better price.

I will tell you this if you do ever order any cables from Monoprice. I don't now why but last time I ordered a bunch of USB cables the white cables had a thin end on the Micro USB side that goes in our phones vs the black cables were thicker end and wouldn't fit in one of my cases opening where you plug it in. Maybe they changed that but to be safe I'd say order them in white.

Last edited:

redndead

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
If it wasnt so tragic it would be funny. Why the hell do all manufacturers insist on sacrificing power to gain a couple of MMs on size ? I wouldnt buy a BMW 7 series with an 800cc engine, but phone manufacturers seem to think we should be happy carrying around battery bars, power cables and plugs to make up for their obsession with size.

It wouldnt be so bad if the manufacturers made these add ons themselves (as HTC did with the One Max power case). The weakest point of all andriod phones (in my opinion) is the micro USB socket - having an extended battery power case protects that as well as letting you get through the day without a recharge.

Definitely a case of form getting in the way of function

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
A charging case would be nice. Seidio should make one LOL! I love the external battery that I got it's called Plemo and it's 5200mah. Got it off Amazon and it has a built in plug and it charges pretty fast. I've only had to use it a couple times but I'm going to LA next month and it will come in handy. I love the built in cord which is what my old Anker had that broke and it was only a 2300mah. My anker you just plugged in and it started working this new one no big deal but you have to hit a power button to turn in on and I forget sometimes and am like why is it draining and not charging? LOL! But here is what I got Amazon.com: PLEMO Magic Bean 5200mAh Portable External Battery Pack Power Bank Backup Charger with Embedded Cable for iPhones, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Motorola, Droid, Google Smartphones, Android & Windows Cell Phones & MP3 Players, Black: Electronics

snowfree52

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If it wasnt so tragic it would be funny. Why the hell do all manufacturers insist on sacrificing power to gain a couple of MMs on size ? I wouldnt buy a BMW 7 series with an 800cc engine, but phone manufacturers seem to think we should be happy carrying around battery bars, power cables and plugs to make up for their obsession with size.

It wouldnt be so bad if the manufacturers made these add ons themselves (as HTC did with the One Max power case). The weakest point of all andriod phones (in my opinion) is the micro USB socket - having an extended battery power case protects that as well as letting you get through the day without a recharge.

Definitely a case of form getting in the way of function

I couldn't agree much

This obsession with size and weigth is stupid, would be glad to have a 4000mah battery with a phone a bit bigger !
It's like the mass storage problem we are in 2014, 16Gb ? Really ?

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I picked up an Omaker 10,000mAh(2.1Amp+2.1Amp Output) Dual USB Portable Charger External Battery Pack Power bank with 1W Flashlight a while ago on special for 15 bucks, and to be honest the only reason I got it at the time was because of the price. I finally used it and it is a beast, charged my M8, my Father In Law's S4 and my daughter's S5 and isn't even down half. With the 2.1 output it charges faster than using the wall wart. The only drawback is the darn thing is huge and heavy, but it does work great.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought this one with a built in cord for like 20 - 25 bucks and dropped it but it still worked a piece came off so I got another but now bith aren't working good it starts to charge than goes off. I even use the little cord that came with them and I'm having problems. They were 5200MAH. Oh they are called Plemo I got off Amazon. But a couple weeks ago they had a deal of the day 10 bucks off it was like 30 bucks and it's big and a little heavy but works so great. It's called jockey and it's a 12000 MAH my phone is like 2600 so this is all I need I love it! My co-workers borrow it all the time. I keep my other cord from my Plemo in my purse cause it has an iphone connecter on their.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My OEM charger broke and I'm waiting for my HTC Quick Charge 2.0 charger so I usually bring my PNY T7800 with me. Priced at $18, it's not too shabby and has two ports: one of them outputting only 1A and the other 2.4A.The battery is a bit on the thick side but it isn't as wide as other battery tanks I've used but thw capacity is only 7,800mah so the overall size isn't gonna kill your pocket or wherever you place your extra batteries . No hard wired cable means you have to bring your own but I usually stray away from those as those cables eventually wear out and leave the battery useless if there's no way to output it's power to a device via another cable.

U WOT M8