Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question How durable is the Dot View Case? (Destructive testing needed)

So I got my blue dot view case and I'm really enjoying it. Except I'm worried that the way I'm using it will damage it. So I have a few questions about it's durability. Unfortunately I think the only way to answer these questions is for someone to destroy a perfectly good dot view case.

1. What is the capacitive layer made of? Is it water resistant?
      For example, in a heavy rainstorm if the Dot View case gets wet, do I need to be worried? What if I take my phone on a run and it gets a little sweaty? Not enough to get into the phone, but just enough to get the surface damp.
    2. How much force does it take to punch through the capacitive layer in the "dots"?
      For example, I get dirt, grime, etc, in the little holes, and I'm trying to clean it out with something. Do I need to worry about punching through the capacitive layer?
    3. Do I need to worry about bending the front cover/capacitive layer? Will repeated bending damage it or give it a permanent curve?
      A lot of people have complained that the front cover doesn't lay flat against the back since the back is curved. It's a legitimate complaint, but it hasn't bothered me because the front cover is flexible enough that with a little squeeze, it bends to the contour of the back. This is how I usually hold the phone when typing, gaming, etc. But will doing this hundreds of times damage the capacitive layer or give the plastic a permanent bend?

I don't know if anyone on this board has any info, but it would be great if someone could provide some official answers from HTC (how was it designed and tested) or do some destructive testing and report back the results.

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts

Default Re: How durable is the Dot View Case? (Destructive testing needed)

I cant wait to hear your testing. Please do destructive testing and report back. Thanks.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    I cant wait to hear your testing. Please do destructive testing and report back. Thanks.
    Wait, I wasn't doing testing. I was posing these questions to the community, and saying that to get good answers, someone would probably have to do testing.

I stopped using my Dot View case. The front cover started getting "gummy" just from handling over an extended period of time. I tried cleaning/wiping it down but it didn't help much. I'm guessing it was the oils from my hands. Unless you keep your hands super clean/dry all of the time, the front cover will not maintain its original feel. The back part was fine seeing as it is more of a hard plastic.
    Thanked by:

My everyday case for 3 weeks. I bend the cover back. I wipe it off with a damp cloth when it gets grimey.. And the curve the front dies get after prolonged time being folded back, goes away after a night in the freezer. (let it warm up to room temp in the morning) and you're golden.

These are my personal experiences.

Posted via Android Central App
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
    Thanked by:

Had my Dot View Case for only a week when I had the phone in my trouser pocket and caught the upper back corner on my chair (not sitting down) and the case cracked. Contacted HTC Becausr I thought surely they w

Had my Dot View Case for only a week when I had the phone in my trouser pocket and caught the upper back corner on the back of my chair while walking by (not sitting on it), and the case cracked in half, Contacted HTC because surely they would make amends.... NOT! Was told they don't warrant their accessories.....Really! A $50.00 case that beaks that easily. What if I had actually dropped the phone??
    I love the phone, but this is my first HTC Phone and not too impressed with their customer service.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by mroman1960 View Post
    Had my Dot View Case for only a week when I had the phone in my trouser pocket and caught the upper back corner on the back of my chair while walking by (not sitting on it), and the case cracked in half, Contacted HTC because surely they would make amends.... NOT! Was told they don't warrant their accessories.....Really! A $50.00 case that beaks that easily. What if I had actually dropped the phone??
    I love the phone, but this is my first HTC Phone and not too impressed with their customer service.
    Usually warranties for products like this only cover manufacturer defects, so I'm not surprised that wouldn't be covered. But some companies (like OtterBox) do a lot better. I am kinda surprised that it broke in that way. Mine seems acceptably durable so far.

Question: I keep hearing $50. Are people really paying $50 for the dot view case? It's only $25 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by mroman1960 View Post
    My case has done the same thing but I have had mine for three months now. Has been a great case up to this point. Might still get another one really, but I am rather upset that such an expensive case has no warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    Usually warranties for products like this only cover manufacturer defects, so I'm not surprised that wouldn't be covered. But some companies (like OtterBox) do a lot better. I am kinda surprised that it broke in that way. Mine seems acceptably durable so far.

Question: I keep hearing $50. Are people really paying $50 for the dot view case? It's only $25 on Amazon.
    It was $50 at launch. I bought one at a Verizon store when I got my M8, returned it, and just got a Dotview Case because of how cheap it was on Amazon.
    I'm gonna get flak but I'd rather have Sense over Stock Android for my daily driver.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffleton View Post
    I stopped using my Dot View case. The front cover started getting "gummy" just from handling over an extended period of time. I tried cleaning/wiping it down but it didn't help much. I'm guessing it was the oils from my hands. Unless you keep your hands super clean/dry all of the time, the front cover will not maintain its original feel. The back part was fine seeing as it is more of a hard plastic.
    I have notice that gummy feel start to develop. I'll occasionally wipe down my phone with "touch screen wipes" (they are like wet wipes with some sort of cleaning solvent that seems alcohol based). I've starting wiping the case too and it cleans it nicely. I suspect any rubbing alcohol (isopropyl, ethyl, etc) would clean the case just fine.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

So I got my blue dot view case and I'm really enjoying it. Except I'm worried that the way I'm using it will damage it. So I have a few questions about it's durability. Unfortunately I think the only way to answer these questions is for someone to destroy a perfectly good dot view case.

1. What is the capacitive layer made of? Is it water resistant?
      For example, in a heavy rainstorm if the Dot View case gets wet, do I need to be worried? What if I take my phone on a run and it gets a little sweaty? Not enough to get into the phone, but just enough to get the surface damp.
    2. How much force does it take to punch through the capacitive layer in the "dots"?
      For example, I get dirt, grime, etc, in the little holes, and I'm trying to clean it out with something. Do I need to worry about punching through the capacitive layer?
    3. Do I need to worry about bending the front cover/capacitive layer? Will repeated bending damage it or give it a permanent curve?
      A lot of people have complained that the front cover doesn't lay flat against the back since the back is curved. It's a legitimate complaint, but it hasn't bothered me because the front cover is flexible enough that with a little squeeze, it bends to the contour of the back. This is how I usually hold the phone when typing, gaming, etc. But will doing this hundreds of times damage the capacitive layer or give the plastic a permanent bend?

I don't know if anyone on this board has any info, but it would be great if someone could provide some official answers from HTC (how was it designed and tested) or do some destructive testing and report back the results.
    So I've tried to email the above questions to HTC a couple of times, but I couldn't get their "contact us" website to work and I couldn't find a direct email. I did end up chatting with a customer service/technical support agent through their sites chat feature. He said that he didn't have any direct experience with the dot view case, but he was pretty sure that there is no capacitive layer. The front is just rubber and app capacitive touch is handled by the phones touch screen.

I tend to believe Android Central over a random customer service agent because I've seen customer service get a lot of stuff wrong. But I just thought I'd put that out there to see what everyone thinks.

So I've tried to email the above questions to HTC a couple of times, but I couldn't get their "contact us" website to work and I couldn't find a direct email. I did end up chatting with a customer service/technical support agent through their sites chat feature. He said that he didn't have any direct experience with the dot view case, but he was pretty sure that there is no capacitive layer. The front is just rubber and app capacitive touch is handled by the phones touch screen.

I tend to believe Android Central over a random customer service agent because I've seen customer service get a lot of stuff wrong. But I just thought I'd put that out there to see what everyone thinks.
    I actually believe the customer services representative. I've studied my Dot View and I don't see anything that leads me to believe it's anything more then just rubber. What is key though, is the thickness of the rubber and the holes. Ever used a non conductive material like a glasses cloth or some tissue to clean your screen and been irritated because it's detected your swipe through cloth? Heck I've even used a towel before and the screen has still registered a touch. That's because there is still just enough distance between your finger and the screen for the electrical charge to transfer to your finger (its AC current so it'll make the jump). It's the same when you wear those disposable latex gloves. You can still operate the touch screen, even though they are non conductive. The holes in the Dot View leave enough exposed for the charge to reach your finger and the clever internal stuff register and sort out the how and where of your touch!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    I actually believe the customer services representative. I've studied my Dot View and I don't see anything that leads me to believe it's anything more then just rubber. What is key though, is the thickness of the rubber and the holes. Ever used a non conductive material like a glasses cloth or some tissue to clean your screen and been irritated because it's detected your swipe through cloth? Heck I've even used a towel before and the screen has still registered a touch. That's because there is still just enough distance between your finger and the screen for the electrical charge to transfer to your finger (its AC current so it'll make the jump). It's the same when you wear those disposable latex gloves. You can still operate the touch screen, even though they are non conductive. The holes in the Dot View leave enough exposed for the charge to reach your finger and the clever internal stuff register and sort out the how and where of your touch!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I want Jerry Hildenbrand to tear one apart and look at under the microscope. I'm tempted to try to split one in half myself but (1) I don't want to waste the 30 bucks and (2) I'm not sure I'd be able to tell what was going on.
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Check the ratings and reviews they aren't good

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by vincent thomas1 View Post
    Check the ratings and reviews they aren't good

Yeah, but the reviews are bad because of the way the cover lays when folded back. Which I understand, but it's also something that I was able to get used to.

I haven't found any ratings or reviews that really discuss (or better yet, test) the durability. That's what I'm really interested in.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

I had one not even a week before I returned it. I got tired of messing with the flap when using the camera. And texting was a chore. The last straw came when my Mom was looking at some photos. She started to hand the phone back to me when the phone slipped in the exchange landing on concrete.
    The phone got scratched on the bottom where the phone is exposed.

The case went back to Verizon that very night.

The main problem with the dot view case for me is that it doesn't fold behind the device all the way. Kind of a deal breaker