Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Default Any bike riders there?

Hello folks, was wondering if any of you guys use your HTC one m8 as a bike GPS.

I use mine every now and then if I want to try new routes, komoot and Google maps are great to use btw.

My gripe is that when I use it as a GPS, I always have to make sure that where I get to has to have a place where I can charge my phone.

With my HTC one m8, running on LTE T-Mobile Germany ( when it is available) with GPS, will run low to about 50% ~ after 25 km. Brightness set to Auto because when I am in the forest or city, the sun can be a bother if the screen is on low setting.

I want to know if any of you use a battery case like: Vanda®-M8 Case Hülle für HTC ONE M8 integriertem POWER Li-Ion Battery Pack Akku4.500mAh schwarz:Amazon.de:Elektronik
    I haven't found any alternatives yet like this or do you guys use an external battery pack?

To the both above questions, could you show /link me what it is you are using?

Thanks in advance!

Oh and I am planning a 200km trip so I may end up needing the battery case and the external battery pack

Lxi_1em8

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Re: Any bike riders there?

Wow, you're a much more hardcore rider than me! I use the Strava app to track my rides & listen to Spotify as well with the power save mode turned on. I normally only ride about 20 miles/2 hours at a time, so my battery is fine...usually around 75% when I'm done. Good luck with your trip.
    Thanked by:

Sorry, but is it not just easier to just use a Garmin?

I've never seen the utility in using any phone as a cycling computer display, as you've found out, the battery life is just insufficient compared to a dedicated computer

My M8 posted this
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgb77 View Post
    Wow, you're a much more hardcore rider than me! I use the Strava app to track my rides & listen to Spotify as well with the power save mode turned on. I normally only ride about 20 miles/2 hours at a time, so my battery is fine...usually around 75% when I'm done. Good luck with your trip.
    Hmm power saving mode, I never thought of that I will give it a try and post updates this weekend

Lxi_1em8
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whitelunchbag View Post
    Sorry, but is it not just easier to just use a Garmin?

I've never seen the utility in using any phone as a cycling computer display, as you've found out, the battery life is just insufficient compared to a dedicated computer

My M8 posted this
    I thought about that too after writing this post I went to a local bike shop XXL Fahrräder and checked out the bike GPS, they are not cheap D: (a good one that is), it's almost like buying a secondary phone that's low range. This is why I asked for opinions of fellow bike riders thanks for the advice

Lxi_1em8

Quote Originally Posted by lekaelxi View Post
    I thought about that too after writing this post I went to a local bike shop XXL Fahrräder and checked out the bike GPS, they are not cheap D: (a good one that is), it's almost like buying a secondary phone that's low range. This is why I asked for opinions of fellow bike riders thanks for the advice

Lxi_1em8
    But by the time you purchase a battery cover and external battery, you could get a Garmin EDGE 200

My M8 posted this