Newbie error

andrewndy

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey, pretty new to rooting an android phone having had an iphone previously but got fed up with it.

I was following this guide How to Root the HTC One M8 (All-in-One Toolkit Method)(Video) | TheUnlockr

at part IV instead of doing highlight perm root I accidentally flashed a kernel and now seem to be stuck on Philz Touch 6 and can't really seem to do anything with my phone, it just has reboot system now, install zip, advanced etc

I don't really know what i've done, how to sort it, and go back to just the standard OS and start over again and do it properly :/

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Hey, pretty new to rooting an android phone having had an iphone previously but got fed up with it.

I was following this guide How to Root the HTC One M8 (All-in-One Toolkit Method)(Video) | TheUnlockr

at part IV instead of doing highlight perm root I accidentally flashed a kernel and now seem to be stuck on Philz Touch 6 and can't really seem to do anything with my phone, it just has reboot system now, install zip, advanced etc

I don't really know what i've done, how to sort it, and go back to just the standard OS and start over again and do it properly :/

After reading through the process, it looks like you flashed a custom recovery. Did you happen to make a nandroid backup? If so, then you should be able to reboot into recovery and restore from your nandroid.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

andrewndy

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
After reading through the process, it looks like you flashed a custom recovery. Did you happen to make a nandroid backup? If so, then you should be able to reboot into recovery and restore from your nandroid.

I actually skipped flashing a custom recovery, and flashed a kernel which turns out to be philz touch 6 but at the bottom of the screen it also says clockworkmod v6. I made a full backup using htc sync but can't find the file location of any of it on windows 8, and even if I did find it i'm not entirely sure what to then do with it.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Philz Touch is a version of Clockworkmod (CWM) which is a CUSTOM RECOVERY.

I think you must have wiped the phone so now you'll either have to restore a stock firmware OR load a custom rom (my preferred choice)

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Since Philz Touch 6 is actually a Recovery, then you should be at step In of your guide.

andrewndy

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Philz Touch is a version of Clockworkmod (CWM) which is a CUSTOM RECOVERY.

I think you must have wiped the phone so now you'll either have to restore a stock firmware OR load a custom rom (my preferred choice)

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

I'm not quite sure how to restore it to stock firmware or load a custom rom now.

andrewndy

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Since Philz Touch 6 is actually a Recovery, then you should be at step In of your guide.

Basically at step III it says flash a recovery and instead in the program it says flash a kernel so I did and selected TWRP. I then rebooted and it came up with this screen:

htc phone.jpg

So I now can't seem to get out of this area apart from going into power options and booting it into bootloader where it looks like this:

securedownload.jpg

So I tried, with the phone in bootloader as above, using the program to flash a recovery and perm root however I get an error saying that a device cannot be found in the cmd prompt that shows up

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
OK, Philz Touch 6 and TWRP are both recoveries. You are done with the recovery part. Question is which one is still on your phone, Philz or TWRP? If you power off your phone and then press Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously it should boot into bootloader. Then use the volume buttons to highlight recovery then press power to select. The phone should go into recovery. In that screen it should say whether you have Philz or TWRP. They both do basically the same thing. What you need to do now is download a ROM and flash it from recovery. A good solid performing ROM is CleanROM 1.0

andrewndy

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
OK, Philz Touch 6 and TWRP are both recoveries. You are done with the recovery part. Question is which one is still on your phone, Philz or TWRP? If you power off your phone and then press Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously it should boot into bootloader. Then use the volume buttons to highlight recovery then press power to select. The phone should go into recovery. In that screen it should say whether you have Philz or TWRP. They both do basically the same thing. What you need to do now is download a ROM and flash it from recovery. A good solid performing ROM is CleanROM 1.0

In recovery and it's TWRP. I've downloaded this Stock Rooted - VZW OTA 1.55.506.2 - Downloads - Scott's ROMS sorry if i'm not supposed to link to other forums. I'm on Three uk model if that makes any difference. But now what? I know this must be infuriating as I basically feel out of my depth for this which is annoying as it's not often that happens.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
In recovery and it's TWRP. I've downloaded this Stock Rooted - VZW OTA 1.55.506.2 - Downloads - Scott's ROMS sorry if i'm not supposed to link to other forums. I'm on Three uk model if that makes any difference. But now what? I know this must be infuriating as I basically feel out of my depth for this which is annoying as it's not often that happens.

Hmmm you're in UK, I don't know if CleanROM will work for you. Now the I think about it CleanROM may be specific to Verizon. I would look for a ROM that will work for you.

andrewndy

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm you're in UK, I don't know if CleanROM will work for you. Now the I think about it CleanROM may be specific to Verizon. I would look for a ROM that will work for you.

Seem to have found this after reading that someone on UK 3 network was using it. So I assume I pop it onto an sdcard and install from zip?

andrewndy

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Seem to have found this after reading that someone on UK 3 network was using it. So I assume I pop it onto an sdcard and install from zip?

So I tried installing android revolution 6.1 from the sdcard but it just gave me a black screen after installing. Managed to get it back to recovery and installed this stock odexed 1.54.4015 which I found from the same download link [ROM] Android Revolution HD 6.1 | ART | 1.54.401.9 | High Quality & Performance | Android 4.4.2 KitKat | HTC Sense 6.0 | Tweaks app - Sense 6 Toolbox 1.2 is live! | THEMES | Support for all M8 variants - xda-developers so that's given me back what looks like my stock phone apart from it says I have SU installed. So i'm stuck again, what next in terms of how do I start fresh and do the whole process again? All I wanted it to be able to install things of my sdcard and customise my phone more haha

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So I tried installing android revolution 6.1 from the sdcard but it just gave me a black screen after installing. Managed to get it back to recovery and installed this stock odexed 1.54.4015 which I found from the same download link [ROM] Android Revolution HD 6.1 | ART | 1.54.401.9 | High Quality & Performance | Android 4.4.2 KitKat | HTC Sense 6.0 | Tweaks app - Sense 6 Toolbox 1.2 is live! | THEMES | Support for all M8 variants - xda-developers so that's given me back what looks like my stock phone apart from it says I have SU installed. So i'm stuck again, what next in terms of how do I start fresh and do the whole process again? All I wanted it to be able to install things of my sdcard and customise my phone more haha

At this point your phone should have an unlocked bootloader, have S-off, installed a custom recovery, and flashed your first custom ROM. If this is the ROM you want to start with, then I would set it up and check functionality (email, text, voice calls, etc.). Once you are functional then I would boot into recovery and make a backup aka Nandroid to your external SD card. After that you can look for other mods or roms to install.

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
back what looks like my stock phone apart from it says I have SU installed. So i'm stuck again, what next in terms of how do I start fresh and do the whole process again? All I wanted it to be able to install things of my sdcard and customise my phone more haha

You need SU (or an equivalent) to allow access to apps that require root access for whatever their purpose

My M8 posted this

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar