Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will updating loose root

Hi,
    I have a rooted HTC One m8 in the uk which is running 4.4.2, if I apply the new update to 1.54.401.10 from 1.54.401.5 will I have to re-root?

Thanks

Default Re: Will updating loose root

Yes, probably and you can brick your device too. People with rooted LG G2's upgraded to kitkat, but many brick their devices.Wait and see more opinions.

Posted from my G2
    Flashoholic!!

Quote Originally Posted by IT-Addicted View Post
    Yes, probably and you can brick your device too. People with rooted LG G2's upgraded to kitkat, but many brick their devices.Wait and see more opinions.

Posted from my G2
    People that brick their device by updating probably shouldn't be messing with their phone. If you follow directions its easy.
    Flashoholic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Bruton View Post
    Hi,
    I have a rooted HTC One m8 in the uk which is running 4.4.2, if I apply the new update to 1.54.401.10 from 1.54.401.5 will I have to re-root?

Thanks
    Is it a major update like a new radio? If not just find a rom based off the new software and go with that.

I'd also like to know this, I rooted a while back and now the damn thing keeps bugging me to update. Anyone know how to make the notification go away? Incidentally... is this why you make your phone "S-Off"?

(Sorry, bit of a noob at this. I rooted my old S3 no problem, this phone seems a bit more complicated)
    Flashoholic!!

Quote Originally Posted by realJxY View Post
    I'd also like to know this, I rooted a while back and now the damn thing keeps bugging me to update. Anyone know how to make the notification go away? Incidentally... is this why you make your phone "S-Off"?

(Sorry, bit of a noob at this. I rooted my old S3 no problem, this phone seems a bit more complicated)
    Yes with s off you can flash just the firmware and not have to do lose anything or redo anything. What rom are you on and what carrier?

I'm on EE and I can't remember which ROM I used... pretty certain it was TWRP 2.7.0.2

Basically, I followed everything it said here: How to Root the HTC One M8 and it worked.

I'll try and make it "S-Off" next time I have a free day, any suggestions for good "how-to" guides?

For anyone else who has the same issue, a temporary fix to get rid of the stupid update (that won't update if you try to), is to download it then delete the downloaded .zip. It gets rid of the notification for a couple of days until it checks for updates again.
    Flashoholic!!

Quote Originally Posted by realJxY View Post
    I'm on EE and I can't remember which ROM I used... pretty certain it was TWRP 2.7.0.2

Basically, I followed everything it said here: How to Root the HTC One M8 and it worked.

I'll try and make it "S-Off" next time I have a free day, any suggestions for good "how-to" guides?

For anyone else who has the same issue, a temporary fix to get rid of the stupid update (that won't update if you try to), is to download it then delete the downloaded .zip. It gets rid of the notification for a couple of days until it checks for updates again.
    Im not sure what EE is but you can edit the system/customize/ACC/default.xml. If you can use a file explorer or adb and pull the customize folder zip it up and post it or send it to me i will give it a look and edit it for you

EE is my carrier. It's the UK version of Orange/T-Mobile. I'll try and do that tomorrow.

I thought I bricked my phone by overclocking it too high. I was dead certain I killed the thing because it wouldn't turn on no matter what (volume up and power weren't working) but I kept at it and eventually it turned on. I'm pretty sure others who think they have bricked their phones just haven't tried hard enough to get it started again.

There should definitely be a warning to people not to mess around rooting or flashing kernels etc unless they are certain what they are doing and most these forums do a good job of that.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Hi,
    How do I know if my phone is S-Off? Its rooted but does that mean its S-OFF'ed

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Bruton View Post
    Hi,
    How do I know if my phone is S-Off? Its rooted but does that mean its S-OFF'ed
    No.

Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom.
    Gigantic Member

Carrier
    ARHD 8.0

reboot your phone into bootloader mode...at the top it will show you s-on or s-off