Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default to root or not to root

Hi im quite new to rooting and just purchaced a new m8. (That i love ) my only problem is that i would like to have root access to my sd card so 3rd party apps can write to my card. I beleve i need to root for this but dont want to mess with the phone to much. Is there a way to get root access and still be able to return my phone to full stock as if it hadnt been touched just in case. Thanks

Global Posts
    18,548 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: to root or not to root

You should be able to return to stock. I believe the method would be to push the stock image with ADB (Android Debug Bridge) set up on your PC to push the files when the phone is in the bootloader.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ok thanks for the reply unfortunately u lost me and most of. What u said I didn't understand.
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    Ok thanks for the reply unfortunately u lost me and most of. What u said I didn't understand.
    Yes you can root and not touch the stock software you are on. You need to (1) unlock your bootloader (2) install a custom recovery (3) flash the SuperSu app through recovery (4) install busybox from the playstore.

1- go here for unlocking the bootloader....https://www.htcdev.com/

2- Custom recovery...TeamWin. Make sure you download the right recovery img for your device

3- SuperSU...SuperSU Download

4- Busybox...https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ricson.busybox Or here, either one works....https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ybox.installer

Here are some videos. Josh makes videos to help out with about everything android. sometimes its easier for some to have a visual on what they are doing and he does a great job.

For GPe version...

For sense versions....

I just found this so check it out ...http://blog.laptopmag.com/root-htc-one-m8

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hi will I be able to return it back to factory and put s_off back on ,change the tampered flag and relock the bootloader. I don't want to do all that just to get access to my sd for something to go wrong and not beable to exchange it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Hi is rooting my only choice or is there aniter option. thanks

You can just root with weak sauce.. It's very simple.. Just look up some videos.. There is no need to unlock the bootloader if you want to stay stock

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    Hi is rooting my only choice or is there aniter option. thanks
    What are you trying to achieve? As in move whole apps to the SD card? The biggest storage is photos and music and most apps support storing them on your SD card.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk