Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aarsyl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Default Why s-off if the bootloader is unlocked and the phone is rooted?

Do I still need to s-off if I already unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone? What benefit is there to turning the security off? I have already flashed Venom and the phone is working great.
    Thanks in advance for this novice question.
    Tom

Default Re: Why s-off if the bootloader is unlocked and the phone is rooted?

being s-off enables you do much more with phone, you can flash firmwares with s-off, where as with s-on you can not

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

You're fine, there's no real need for s-off in your case.

I'm running ARHD and elementalX, don't need s-off

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)
    Gigantic Member

Carrier
    ARHD 8.0

also being s-off allows more ways to brick the phone as well. If you dont feel comfortable with it, or dont see a need for it and are happy with what ya have, dont do it
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Thanks all for your input. I don't plan on s-off at the moment.

Does anyone know of any links to pages that go into great detail about the benefits of S-off, or can go into a good amount of detail of the pros and cons of doing it?
    Flashoholic!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgreg101 View Post
    Does anyone know of any links to pages that go into great detail about the benefits of S-off, or can go into a good amount of detail of the pros and cons of doing it?
    I dont think you will find anything in great detail, i suggest searching XDA or a Google search

A Google Search with be your best bet to find more information about the benefits of S-Off.

But, in a nutshell, S-Off is the ultimate anti-brick status that you can get for your phone. It is really for those who are looking for more than just root. Being able to flash firmwares and run any RUU can prove to be a real life saver. It saved me several times when I was using my EVO LTE as my main phone.
    NEXUS_HTC_PS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aarsyl View Post
    A Google Search with be your best bet to find more information about the benefits of S-Off.

But, in a nutshell, S-Off is the ultimate anti-brick status that you can get for your phone. It is really for those who are looking for more than just root. Being able to flash firmwares and run any RUU can prove to be a real life saver. It saved me several times when I was using my EVO LTE as my main phone.
    ^this is exactly it. For me, flashing firmware is key.

Posted via Android Central App