Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Block updates.

Greetings,
    I have an HTC one mini running Android 4.2.2, Sense 5 and a whole lot of stuff I clearly don't understand. My experience is that updates are not necessarily improvements to my life and make the phone a sluggish waste of time.
    How can I block them? There doesn't seem to be an obvious way of saying "no" to updates.
    I'm not rooting my phone, so don't even go there, I just need to find the stupid option to kill the pop-up and update option.
    Many thanks.
    Banned

Default Re: Block updates.

Quote Originally Posted by agshep View Post
    Greetings,
    I have an HTC one mini running Android 4.2.2, Sense 5 and a whole lot of stuff I clearly don't understand. My experience is that updates are not necessarily improvements to my life and make the phone a sluggish waste of time.
    How can I block them? There doesn't seem to be an obvious way of saying "no" to updates.
    I'm not rooting my phone, so don't even go there, I just need to find the stupid option to kill the pop-up and update option.
    Many thanks.
    Well, here I would say you can't block down the updates until or unless you are a rooted user ! And yes one more thing I don't think updating your device is a bad thing instead of it updating device is good it helps you in improving various performance improvements, battery usage, brings a number of new features etc. Tell you what it sounds weird that you are trying to disable the update, most of the people keep waiting for the update to pops up !

Should be able to turn off automatic updates in settings and then just not update the phone. But you should update the phone

My M8 posted this
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I disagree.
    My wife's Sensation never had an update while mine scooped up everything avainlable to the point that I couldn't make a call.
    Same ensued with my HTC oneV which would restart spontaneously five times and more a day and went back to manufacturer twice..
    Then I got a One mini which scooped everything and was too clever for its own good till it cut calls and announced that "Unfortunately Google+ has stopped" up to ten times a day.
    I need a phone that works.
    The features it came with are fine.
    I'm not here to debate which colour we should prefer or whether chop-X is better than hack-Y.
    I can't have a phone that does what it wants.
    It needs do make calls and keep them active till I cease them, take and send photos from this location to the doctors in the big city and let me email/text with an alarm function to wake me up after forty hours awake with two hours sleep before handover.

So you might understand that this new phone isn't broken yet.

And I want it to stay that way.

Otherwise patients are harmed.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

In Settings is a bit vague..
    I've looked and failed to find the toggle so far.
    Could you be more specific please?
    Many thanks for your help.

Whatever.

Settings>about>software updates

My M8 posted this
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks, this gives me the option to select for updates via WiFi only but not to block them. Accessing this options page triggers the update notification, which is a little annoying. I tried disabling a couple of Apps in Settings>Apps>All might screw the system but it seems to have thwarted my efforts.
    I really don't want the bloaty updates if I can avoid them I don't believe they contribute to my telephone's function and I certainly don't need more features.
    I really don't mean to be rude but I need them to stop to allow my phone some longevity.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Well, good luck

You might want to post the question in the correct forum for your phone too, before you disable the wrong system app and have to update your phone to make it work again

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks for your help.