S OFF Firewater help

Mason Sell

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to S-off my AT&T HTC One m8 but I keep getting the "whelp" error... I first tried with the completely stock software (bloatware and all) but that did not work. So then I tried it with an older ARHD rom but that did not work either... Should I use a different ROM? My boot loader is still the original one on AT&T phones so it should work but like I said it did not. Does anyone have a clue?

Posted via the Android Central App

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to S-off my AT&T HTC One m8 but I keep getting the "whelp" error... I first tried with the completely stock software (bloatware and all) but that did not work. So then I tried it with an older ARHD rom but that did not work either... Should I use a different ROM? My boot loader is still the original one on AT&T phones so it should work but like I said it did not. Does anyone have a clue?

Hello. What is your HBOOT version?

Mason Sell

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So I will have to install a 4.4.2 ROM?

I can check what version it is. I believe it is 1.54... AT&T, if I'm not mistaken, has never sent out an OTA for HBOOT

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
So I will have to install a 4.4.2 ROM?

I can check what version it is. I believe it is 1.54... AT&T, if I'm not mistaken, has never sent out an OTA for HBOOT

I would try a Sense ROM. Not a stock ROM. It usually doesn't work with stock ROMs.

Mason Sell

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It is a Sense rom. Are there any recommendations for a particular rom? Like do certain roms and or kernels work better?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I've seen people say this and have always wondered why. I'm legitimately curious because, aside from the $25, I haven't seen or heard of any issues with it. Am I mistaken?
It's not that it comes with issues, it's just that there are other free alternatives you should try before you pay.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
It's not that it comes with issues, it's just that there are other free alternatives you should try before you pay.

I guess that all depends on how you value your time. I spent several hours and a couple of sleepnless nights trying different methods to get s-off, finally I caved and paid the $25 and within a half hour had s-off and was able to convert my at&t one to GPE. I wish I would've spent the $25 earlier, would've saved me a lot of time.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess that all depends on how you value your time. I spent several hours and a couple of sleepnless nights trying different methods to get s-off, finally I caved and paid the $25 and within a half hour had s-off and was able to convert my at&t one to GPE. I wish I would've spent the $25 earlier, would've saved me a lot of time.

This. I used Sunshine. Works like a charm. Remember, you cannot use the free alternatives on devices with 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 firmware.

You're free to keep wasting your time, but......

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I had the same experience. Tried for hours. Tried loading previous ROMs and everything. Finally just used Sunshine and it worked perfectly and a lot quicker than I thought.

Still, I understand the argument to try everything else first. If there's a working free alternative, use it. But for me, I could not find one that worked.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the same experience. Tried for hours. Tried loading previous ROMs and everything. Finally just used Sunshine and it worked perfectly and a lot quicker than I thought.

Still, I understand the argument to try everything else first. If there's a working free alternative, use it. But for me, I could not find one that worked.
That's really all I meant. Try free alternatives before you go ahead and pay for something premium.