How to get / make a stock backup before trying CyanogenMod

Ckoonz32

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to android so be gentle when I sound like an *****. I have an AT&T HTC One M8 with Sense and am not liking it. Wishing I had gotten the GPE version. I'm planning on trying CyanogenMod but don't know how to make a backup copy of my stock rom should something go wrong or if I need to reinstall the device to its factory version. I've done some checking but every site I check seems to say something slightly different and none of them give a clear and easy to follow process to accomplish what I need. If anyone can give me some links and or help that would rock.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You need to make a nandroid backup. That means installing Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM) or TWRP. I used to use CWM, I use TWRP now and prefer it because of the interface. (They both make usable backups - but I've restored ROMs a few dozen times with TWRP and I feel comfortable that it will work if there's enough free space to make the backup.) You have to choose one or the other, though - one can't read the other's backups.

Then you just back up the ROM, flash Cyanogen, if you don't like it, try flashing some other ROMs and, if you decide that the stock ROM is still the best, restore it from the backup. If not, keep the backup somewhere anyway. You may change your mind, or you may want to sell the phone, and the buyer prefers the stock ROM.

I'd also, after making the backup, but before flashing anything new, back up all my apps and data. Email and contacts (if they're entered as Google contacts - they all should be) are backed up on your Google account. I use Helium for app data backup (if the phone isn't rooted, it'll tell you to download a file to your PC - do it. That file lets Helium work on a non-rooted phone), App Backup & Restore to back up apps (you can install an individual app from its backup, even without AB&R installed - which makes it easy - you back AB&R up with your other apps, restore that first, then use it to mass restore whatever you want. SMS Backup & Restore for my texts. Everything else I drag&drop to my computer. (And, of course, all the backup folders from the above apps. BTW, Helium's folder is named carbon, for the old name of the app.) Then I drag that folder to 2 cloud accounts. (It's not paranoia - having too many backups is like having too much money. In order for me to lose all my backups, about half the world would have to be destroyed. Remember, a computer or phone can be replaced - some data can't. [Your first child will never take his/her first steps again, so that video is worth more than mere money.])

BTW, all you sound like is an intelligent person who would like some advice to do something he doesn't know how to do. Now, while those of us who were born knowing everything can't understand that ... seriously, about all I can think of to fit that *** is "newcomer" or "noob".

Oh - if all you don't like is Sense, try Nova Launcher. It's just installing an app, so you don't have to do all the above. It basically replaces Sense. (Let it get its data from the original launcher when it installs - your choices are to install with nothing on the desktop or install with the apps and widgets you had on the original desktop.)

Ckoonz32

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Rukbat, I'm starting to understand this stuff a little bit the more I ready. I was figuring out that TWRP is what I need to create a backup of my ROM. One other question, sounds like I need to unlock my bootloader to install TWRP. Is that the same thing as saying root your phone?

Ckoonz32

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
O.K. Nexus_HTC_PS, I followed the guide you linked to. Everything worked fine until I got to the part where I need to flash the twrp image. I used the latest file from twrp website (openrecovery-twrp-2.8.4.0-m8.img).
Looks like it installed correctly according to the guide. When I restart and enter recovery I get the white HTC screen and in pink at the top it says Entering Recovery . . . . . That's it. Never enters the TWRP menue screen. Any thoughts?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Use the volume rocker to change selection, and use the power button to select. Try "selecting" Recovery.

You can also let the phone boot up and use adb to reboot into recovery.

Ckoonz32

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you are missing the question. That is what I'm doing. After making that selection all I get is the HTC screen with Entering Recovery displayed at the top. It never enters TWRP recovery

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85