OMG,I'm lost!

stlsports

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
tried to get OTA 5.0.1 today. woudn't take. I have (had)rooted,s-off,bootloader unlocked. Now i somehow wiped everything off.No OS, no recovery. No idea how to begin again. Screen is on white with HTC logo and Powered by android showing. won't power down. Any ideas?
:'(

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
OTA updates usually fail on modified devices. Put it back to stock, out-of-the-box condition and try the OTA again. Should be trouble-free.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you hack your phone even a little, like getting root, NEVER accept an OTA. That said...

Since you are SOFF, this is what I would do-
Fastboot flash TWRP (recovery) back onto your device. Need working ADB/Fastboot on a PC
Once you do that, you can either restore a backup if you have one, or use USB mounting in TWRP to copy over a custom ROM of your choice and install it.
One (M8) Android Development - XDA Forums (not verizon or sprint)

To get the M8 from 4.4 to 5.01 you do need to upgrade the firmware to avoid wifi issues (probably other things too). You could run an RUU which would upgrade everything to latest and flash your firmware, or use the firmware packages at the above link for whatever custom ROM you like. There are a few ways you could go. But you just need to get a Recovery back on there, and with that, you can get a working phone again.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok, first of all, the only thing that will hold you back from updating is custom recovery or modification of system files. I have had my M8 rooted since day one and I have never had a problem accepting an OTA. Know what you're talking about before giving people information. I have a Dev Edition M8 that is unlocked, s-off'd and rooted. The only thing accepting an OTA with root does is break root and you will have to reroot.
Download this on pc⬇⬇⬇
http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_...G_20.68.4196.01_F_release_411207_signed_2.exe
Power you phone off.
Hold the power and vol- buttons simultaneously until you are greeted by the fastboot screen.
Plug your phone in to your pc and run the RUU.
Hopefully you already are bootloader unlocked and s-off'd.

Posted via the Android Central App

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Powering down, hold down all three(power, vol+, vol-) buttons at the same time until the screen goes blank.

Posted via the Android Central App