help needed. htc one m8 still running on 4.4.2

md suhail

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi forum members. This is my first post and and i am an infant in unlocking and rooting stuff. The reason I am researching these things is because of my HTC one m8. I got this phone used from a seller 6 months ago. I Hi forum members. This is my first post and and i am an infant in unlocking and rooting stuff. The reason I am researching these things is because of my HTC one m8. I got this phone used from a seller 6 months ago. I was expecting OTA updates but did not receive any till date. I am still running on 4.4.2 . So, after a bit of searching on forums, I learned about a thing called boot loader. And checked mine. To my surprise it was TAMPERED , UNLOCKED AND S-ON. Now I really don't know what that means. Some suggested to check if it's rooted, installed root checker and it said "device is not rooted" .
Can anyone pLease help me And explain me what all this means as it will be greatly appreciated.I only want to have OTA updates And need stock android. Thanks in advancewas expecting OTA updates but did not receive any till date. I am still running on 4.4.2 . So, after a bit of searching on forums, I learned about a thing called boot loader. And checked mine. To my surprise it was TAMPERED , UNLOCKED AND S-ON. Now I really don't know what that means. Some suggested to check if it's rooted, installed root checker and it said "device is not rooted" .
Can anyone pLease help me And explain me what all this means as it will be greatly appreciated.I only want to have OTA updates And need stock android. Thanks in advance

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The tampered message indicates that your bootloader is unlocked; unlocking this is usually a first step for someone to start flashing custom ROMs on their phone. OTA updates will not run on modified software, which I think even the unlocked bootloader qualifies, though there is likely root and/or a custom recovery there too (other things required for custom roms) that will cause the OTA to fail.

If you just wanted to go back to stock, you could run the RUU for the current build on your phone, which should return (and wipe it, so copy your stuff off) it back to an out of the box condition except for the bootloader. You can re-lock that however, so you can get it back to completely stock, and then you should be able to accept the updates. To get started, you will need to know exactly what version of the phone you have...

Otherwise, you will have to flash custom software yourself; essentially, once you hack your phone, the software updates are up to you after that.

md suhail

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
thanks for your advice. so, if i want ots updates, i need to run RUU. i have htc__622. build number is 1.54.401.10
is there a video to run RUU which i can follow.

md suhail

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
thanks for your reply. these are details of my device

version : 0.5
version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
version baseband: 1.16.21331031.a160
version-cpld: none
version-microp:none
version-main: 1.60.708.2
version-misc: pvt ship s-on
meid: 0000000000000000
product: m8_ul
platform: HTCBmsm8974
model id: 0p6b63000
cidnum:htc__622
partition layout: generic
security: on
build mode : ship
boot mode: fastboot
commitno-bootloader: c3d94491
hbootpreupdate: 11
genericchkpt: 0

hope that gives all the required info. what is RUU and how to get it

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Edit- Disregard... links were for TWRP backup files not RUU. I will try looking again.

First link above is the link found in the second link above. to the RUU that shows the CID and version you mention. From what I understand, you will need to FIRST re-lock your bootloader using a fastboot command "fastboot oem lock" ([GUIDE] How to apply RUU to HTC unlocked bootloader devices - Post #1 - XDA Forums). You will need a working fastboot environment on your PC to do that. Once locked, you can then run the RUU to restore to stock.

RUU is the recovery software HTC provides, normally used to restore or upgrade to a certain version. You run it from a computer while that computer is connected to your phone. It WILL wipe it. The above RUU is for your phone, it should return to stock. Your phone appears to be the Hong Kong version?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
How To | M8 Hong Kong | Downgrade with S-ON … | HTC One (M8) | XDA Forums

I think steps 1-3 on the link above is what you need to do. That link, that guy has your software levels, and is trying to revert to older version... but steps 1-3 are returning to a stock setup. I cannot find the RUU for your software- if you did a search for HTC RUU 1.60.708.2 htc__622, I found numerous links in a language I could not understand that perhaps you could... might be an actual RUU that you can find, which would make this process easier. Otherwise, you will have to do it with the 1-3 steps above, and flashing recoveries and backups is not easy the first time. Normally at this point, had you done the work to get your phone where you are at now, this would not seem so daunting.

md suhail

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
thanks for your advice, the problem is solved. i appreciate your courtesy to reply. have a good day.
is there a way to ask moderators to delete this post?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon