Help Unrooting my One M8

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey All

Im wanting to unroot my O2 UK M8. I was in process of going from O2 to 100% unbranded stock, when I was halted by needing SunShine 3, but Ive decided to pass this M8 onto my mum and ill buy an factory unlocked one, but I want to return it to an out-of-the-Box state so she can get OTAs and not have any hassles.

My Phone is CID; O2_001 / Software v LP 501 (4.20.201.6)

So far Ive:

Unlocked Bootloader with HTCDev
Installed SuperSU 275
Installed TWRP 2840.

Im trying to find a guide, but theres so many on the web and XDA forums, its too confusing and I dont know where to go from here

Can anyone help plz

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey All

Im wanting to unroot my O2 UK M8. I was in process of going from O2 to 100% unbranded stock, when I was halted by needing SunShine 3, but Ive decided to pass this M8 onto my mum and ill buy an factory unlocked one, but I want to return it to an out-of-the-Box state so she can get OTAs and not have any hassles.

My Phone is CID; O2_001 / Software v LP 501 (4.20.201.6)

So far Ive:

Unlocked Bootloader with HTCDev
Installed SuperSU 275
Installed TWRP 2840.

Im trying to find a guide, but theres so many on the web and XDA forums, its too confusing and I dont know where to go from here

Can anyone help plz

You can't go back to 100% stock, but it is easy to unroot. If you have SuperSU, it has a built in unroot option. Just click it and let it do its thing. If you still want to go back to stock as much as possible, you'll need to flash the correct RUU for your phone. Even after that, I'm not sure if you will get OTA's as HTC's updates can detect if your device has been tampered with or not.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but from what I can gather from reading all these confusing and contradicting guides that

Im still S-ON, so it looks like I have to find the O2 Recovery for 4.20.201.6 for my rom and flash it to replace TWRP, then remove SuperSU in order to get OTAs

Where ill find the recovery i dont know... there is a 1.54 "O2 recovery" on XDA but apparently, if i install that, my M8 will brick, it has to match the current rom..

Please correct me if im wrong anyone...

not_important

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently in the same situation. OP your problem is you used HTCDev to unlock your bootloader, which leaves you S-ON. You can't take OTAs with S-ON so you have to go find your phone's RUU and flash that via fastboot. THIS HAS TO BE DONE FROM UNMODIFIED (stock-ish) SYSTEM FILES. You have to revert your recovery to stock, relock your bootloader, S-ON, unroot, then flash your RUU through adb.

Head to xda, there's a page with all you need but I can't link to it.
MAKE SURE HTC SYNC IS INSTALLED it has your phone's drivers.
Download adb and fastboot, or the android SDK, whatever, unzip/install the files.
Make sure they are in the same folder (adb and fastboot), doesn't matter where. Anything you flash to your phone has to be in this folder.

Open the new folder, hold shift and rclick the empty space in it and open a command window there.
Power off your M8. Hold the Vol down key and press and hold the power key until a white screen pops up. It'll have three androids on skateboards. Use the Vol keys to select FASTBOOT and press the power button. Plug your phone into your PC. *Avoid Win 8.1, also avoid USB 3.0 ports. They are known to cause issues. It'll probably install drivers. When it's finished, into the cmd window you opened, enter

Code:
fastboot devices

Your device's serial number should be displayed. If not, Start over. In the cmd line enter

Code:
fastboot getvar all

This will return a lot of required information and make sure you don't nuke your phone. From there, match your versions to the files on the xda site. Be sure you have the correct ones. You can relock your bootloader with the cmd

Code:
fastboot oem lock

This will relock the bootloader as well as remove your custom recovery (it did for me).

This is where I am now, lol. I have a rooted phone I can't unroot for some reason, a locked bootloader, S-ON, stock recovery... Every time I try to boot into recovery it goes straight to fastboot.

I'm seriously about to chuck it in the toilet, it's still under warranty....

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
You really should flash sock recovery before locking the bootloader. Go through the HTCdev and unlock your bootloader again. Flash stock recovery, then do the RUU.

Posted via the Android Central App

not_important

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
My recovery was already stock. I unrooted the phone and ran the RUU and it worked like a charm. Bootloader still has the RELOCKED flag but the software status is official.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You really should flash sock recovery before locking the bootloader. Go through the HTCdev and unlock your bootloader again. Flash stock recovery, then do the RUU.

I'm curious - if the person already has the RUU on-hand, why would you want to waste the time to flash stock recovery? The RUU is just going to overwrite it anyway. And the RUU can be run while the device is in fastboot, so it's not like that's an issue.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, that post is a little confusing, I was replying to not_important. He stated that relocking the bootloader will remove custom recovery.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
And yes, you shouldn't need anything but the fastboot screen because the RUU runs through fastboot.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000