Rooting on 5.0.2?

ThatsDirty

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey all, just updated my M8 to the latest AT&T 5.0.2 update and was wondering if you can root. I seen on hasoon2000's post at XDA that you can't root 5.0.2 with his all in one toolkit since he has to update the files. So anyone out there can confirm you can root on 5.0.2 and is there an easy way to root like hasoon2000's all in one toolkit. Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
XDA is a much better source of rooting information than we are. The people who do the actual slave labor of finding rooting exploits (trust me - reading a few million lines of someone else's code makes digging ditches in 100 degree swamps a vacation) are mostly on XDA (when they're not looking for an exploit for a particular phone, or all phones using that version of Android - sometimes you can, sometimes different phones have different exploits available).

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure if you put the latest version of superSU on the main storage of your phone then flash the latest version of TWRP manually you shouldn't have a problem obtaining root.

From my fingers to you on the M8, M9 or the Chromebook! :D

ThatsDirty

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
XDA is a much better source of rooting information than we are. The people who do the actual slave labor of finding rooting exploits (trust me - reading a few million lines of someone else's code makes digging ditches in 100 degree swamps a vacation) are mostly on XDA (when they're not looking for an exploit for a particular phone, or all phones using that version of Android - sometimes you can, sometimes different phones have different exploits available).
Okay thanks, definitely will hit up XDA.

ThatsDirty

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure if you put the latest version of superSU on the main storage of your phone then flash the latest version of TWRP manually you shouldn't have a problem obtaining root.

Yeah? Definitely will try that, I should have an unlocked bootloader though right?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
At&t is a gsm variant, which shares the same model number as the unlocked edition, so you shouldn't have a problem ever with obtaining root. Sprint and Verizon are the models that will have problems when new OS versions come out.

ThatsDirty

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
At&t is a gsm variant, which shares the same model number as the unlocked edition, so you shouldn't have a problem ever with obtaining root. Sprint and Verizon are the models that will have problems when new OS versions come out.

Finally after four hours manage to get all my apps and everything set up. Had no issues rooting it, was very simple. Thanks for all the info, now it's time to get S-Off so I can remove all these bloatware apps.