[Help] Wiped my OS while trying to flash a ROM - am I bricked?

dh_90

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
So like an ***** I flashed a ROM without backing anything up and ended up wiping my entire device, OS and all.

I've literally spent days trying to fix it but no luck. Asking here as a last resort.

HTC One M8
Version_bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
Version_main: 6.12.841.4
product: m8_wlv
MID: 0P6B11000
CID: 11111111
*S-OFF (through sunshine, last year)
*RELOCKED (relocked in hopes that HTC Stock RUU program would work, it didn't and now I'm relocked)

Here's the problem:

I can only access bootloader. No recovery (stock nor custom).
From what I understand I have to flash a custom recovery but I can't do that unless I'm unlocked.
I tried unlocking with HTC Dev but I keep getting the "Invalid Token Length" error.

So basically I need to know, am I completely bricked? I don't know any other way to unlock the bootloader. I'll post my identifier token in case someone can get the htcdev site to spit out an unlock code.

Any additional info please ask, thanks for your help in advance!

ID Token:
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>[Token ID removed. Caused error in forum thread]<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You may need to change the CID back, and relock the bootloader. All that can be done with fastboot commands. After that, you can use a Windows machine to reflash the stock RUU file.

dh_90

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
If I change the CID back, would I flash the stock RUU file using HTC's RUU utility .exe ?

Because I tried that and it keeps giving me an error saying I have the wrong model version. I've tried changing the MID to a number of different ones but HTC's RUU utility keeps spitting out that error.

My m8 is a Verizon model, but I was using it on the Telus network in Canada. I would much rather flash the stock RUU under telus's MID/CID. The whole reason I was trying to flash a new ROM in the first place was because my reception kept cutting out and I would have to turn airplane mode on/off to get reception back. It would say I had full service bars, but I wouldn't receive texts/calls/data usage occasionally. I thought it may be a problem with being a Verizon MID/CID and using a Telus SIM card. But that is another issue for another thread, I would just like to be able to flash the stock RUU for telus on my Verizon device; essentially making it a Telus device (if possible).

Thanks

dh_90

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Tried to lock the bootloader so I could then unlock it again and flash a recovery. Unfortunately, adb commands are not working at all, and my m8 is not showing when I type in adb devices. I reinstalled HTC drivers, but still wont recognize my device....

Any ideas?

William James Tech

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
So far i am telling to all my friends that don't root there mobiles so many got bricked there phones we cant restore to original state because of breaking software device hardware also get effected i think you all aware about it so please don't go for stock ROM

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If I change the CID back, would I flash the stock RUU file using HTC's RUU utility .exe ?

Because I tried that and it keeps giving me an error saying I have the wrong model version. I've tried changing the MID to a number of different ones but HTC's RUU utility keeps spitting out that error.

My m8 is a Verizon model, but I was using it on the Telus network in Canada. I would much rather flash the stock RUU under telus's MID/CID. The whole reason I was trying to flash a new ROM in the first place was because my reception kept cutting out and I would have to turn airplane mode on/off to get reception back. It would say I had full service bars, but I wouldn't receive texts/calls/data usage occasionally. I thought it may be a problem with being a Verizon MID/CID and using a Telus SIM card. But that is another issue for another thread, I would just like to be able to flash the stock RUU for telus on my Verizon device; essentially making it a Telus device (if possible).

Thanks

I think the CID is critical for reflashing with the RUU. I did it anyway, when I RUU my M8 back to stock. I am not sure you can flash the Telus RUU on a different model. I think (could very well be wrong here) the program compares both IDs from the phone and the file. If they don't match it won't allow flashing to happen.

Tried to lock the bootloader so I could then unlock it again and flash a recovery. Unfortunately, adb commands are not working at all, and my m8 is not showing when I type in adb devices. I reinstalled HTC drivers, but still wont recognize my device....

Any ideas?

Are you using Windows to do ADB commands?

dh_90

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Yes, windows 7. ADB was working fine before I wiped my OS, now my phone isn't recognized.

edit: I've just learned that the reason ADB isn't working is because I need to be in recovery or have an OS installed for it to recognize my device. If that is true, ADB is useless to me because I have neither a recovery nor an OS. I'm stuck in bootloader/fastboot only.

Last edited:

dh_90

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
That's what my plan was, but I 'relocked' my device because I read that HTC's RUU program would only work if it wasn't unlocked (what I thought at the time to be my last resort).

Tell me if this statement is correct: Now that it's relocked, I can't use fastboot to flash anything, including TWRP ?

dh_90

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
So basically I boned myself by relocking. Since the only way to unlock a Verizon m8 is by entering an ADB command. Htcdev wont work.
Am I officially bricked?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What happens when you try to unlock the bootloader again? You might lose all your data, but you keep the phone.

dh_90

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
How can I unlock it without ADB/recovery? Is there a way only using a fastboot command?

HTCdev website with the identifier token wont work since its a Verizon m8.

Sorry for my ignorance if I'm missing something...