HTC One (M8): The Bezel

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: The Bezel

Most people are right handed, and tend to hold the phone in their left hand. They will navigate the phone with their left thumb, but for more complex things (pecking around the keyboard, dragging and dropping stuff, etc.) they will use their dominant hand while holding it in their left hand.

Where did you come up with this? The reason why most OEM's put their power/wake buttons on the right edge is because the majority of us are right handed and primarily use our phones with our right hand.

I personally prefer having the back button on the right because I tend to use it more often then menu or recent items.

The black bezel on the One houses internal components. My guess is that HTC could not make the M8 without having that bezel there with respect to internals. I also would prefer no black bezel there but it wouldn't stop me from purchasing the phone, which I'm planning on doing. I'm just thankful the home button is now centered and honestly after using the S4 I welcome a 5" screen with on-screen buttons.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One 2: The Bezel

I pointed the hTc logo in the other thread and how useless it is. Why not turn it into a Sleep/Wake or even a Home Button?

This is why I'm loving Sony, based on the early reviews they LISTENED to the complaints about the Z1 and made the changes/improvements on the Z2.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Where did you come up with this? The reason why most OEM's put their power/wake buttons on the right edge is because the majority of us are right handed and primarily use our phones with our right hand.

I personally prefer having the back button on the right because I tend to use it more often then menu or recent items.

The black bezel on the One houses internal components. My guess is that HTC could not make the M8 without having that bezel there with respect to internals. I also would prefer no black bezel there but it wouldn't stop me from purchasing the phone, which I'm planning on doing. I'm just thankful the home button is now centered and honestly after using the S4 I welcome a 5" screen with on-screen buttons.

Walk around and look at people use devices and see how they use them. No none types one handed on an on screen keyboard with their non dominant hand for example.

There is a whole training facility full of smartphone users in front of me right here and almost none of them are using the phone that way. Right or left hand side for power doesn't matter that much. Most OEMs put the volume rocker on the other side anyways so that really doesn't say much.

The bezel is ugly as sin. I hate on screen buttons. They're an abomination and defeat the purpose of having a larger screen. Not having them means you can have a smaller screen with the same usable real estate but less usability faux pas, I specially if you pull an HTC and keep the thick bezel anyways.

I'm not purchasing it, obviously and the bezels on their phones was a big reason why. It's unsightly.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

Walk around and look at people use devices and see how they use them. No none types one handed on an on screen keyboard with their non dominant hand for example.

There is a whole training facility full of smartphone users in front of me right here and almost none of them are using the phone that way. Right or left hand side for power doesn't matter that much. Most OEMs put the volume rocker on the other side anyways so that really doesn't say much.

The bezel is ugly as sin. I hate on screen buttons. They're an abomination and defeat the purpose of having a larger screen. Not having them means you can have a smaller screen with the same usable real estate but less usability faux pas, I specially if you pull an HTC and keep the thick bezel anyways.

I'm not purchasing it, obviously and the bezels on their phones was a big reason why. It's unsightly.

Yeah I completely disagree with you. I believe OEM's mainly place the power/wake button on the right edge because right handed people, who are the majority, tend to use their phone with their right hand. People tend to type out messages with their right thumb as they hold the phone in that hand.

I prefer on-screen buttons to capacitive. After using the S4 for 6 months I came away wishing it had on-screen buttons as I felt it was just a touch too large for me personally. Also with KitKat you have immersive mode which hides the on-screen buttons for watching videos, games, and the like.

I didn't like the M7 but I really like the M8 and plan on pre-ordering.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

I pointed the hTc logo in the other thread and how useless it is. Why not turn it into a Sleep/Wake or even a Home Button?

This is why I'm loving Sony, based on the early reviews they LISTENED to the complaints about the Z1 and made the changes/improvements on the Z2.

HTC also listened to the complaints of the M7. Hence the SD card slot, on-screen buttons, moving the power button to the right. They also weren't going to make drastic changes to the blueprint created with the M7.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I completely disagree with you. I believe OEM's mainly place the power/wake button on the right edge because right handed people, who are the majority, tend to use their phone with their right hand. People tend to type out messages with their right thumb as they hold the phone in that hand.

I prefer on-screen buttons to capacitive. After using the S4 for 6 months I came away wishing it had on-screen buttons as I felt it was just a touch too large for me personally. Also with KitKat you have immersive mode which hides the on-screen buttons for watching videos, games, and the like.

I didn't like the M7 but I really like the M8 and plan on pre-ordering.

The HTC one is like the same size and heavier. And since the bezel isn't going away the next one won't be any smaller.

Not making much sense.

The S4 is barely bigger than its predecessor largely because Samsung decreased the bezel sizes. Same for Note 3 and the S5 which is coming out.

I almost never hold the phone in my right gand, and neither does hardly any of the right handed people I know.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

The HTC one is like the same size and heavier. And since the bezel isn't going away the next one won't be any smaller.

Not making much sense.

The S4 is barely bigger than its predecessor largely because Samsung decreased the bezel sizes. Same for Note 3 and the S5 which is coming out.

I almost never hold the phone in my right gand, and neither does hardly any of the right handed people I know.

Actually the M8 is equal to or lighter than the M7 because it's thinner. HTC no longer has plastic on the sides and it's clear in the leaked video that the new model is thinner than the M7.

Not only are you wrong on that front but the S5 is actually heavier and larger than the S4.

None of the right handed people you know use their phone with their right hand? That's a pretty curious statement.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Actually the M8 is equal to or lighter than the M7 because it's thinner. HTC no longer has plastic on the sides and it's clear in the leaked video that the new model is thinner than the M7.

Not only are you wrong on that front but the S5 is actually heavier and larger than the S4.

None of the right handed people you know use their phone with their right hand? That's a pretty curious statement.

The size difference is almost negligible. It's about as much bigger than the S4 as the S4 was to the S3.

The HTC will still be about the same size as an S4 or maybe even slightly larger. The size argument doesn't measure up. Pardon the pun.

And we're going off topic. The bezel throws the device out of proportion a d looks bad. That's why I didn't get their phone, and won't consider this one.

Last edited:

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

The size difference is almost negligible. It's about as much bigger than the S4 as the S4 was to the S3.

The HTC will still be about the same size as an S4 or maybe even slightly larger. The size argument doesn't measure up. Pardon the pun.

And we're going off topic. The bezel throws the device out of proportion a d looks bad. That's why I didn't get their phone, and won't consider this one.

So you say the M8 is going to be bigger and heavier, when it isn't, and now you are saying the heavier and larger S5 doesn't matter?

The size argument has nothing to do with HTC vs Samsung. It has to do with with previous and current models. An argument you brought up and has now faltered because it was the opposite of what you originally stated.

I wouldn't be surprised if the M8 is actually roughly equal to or actually a touch smaller than the S5. It will most likely be lighter too.

You clearly hate the bezel of the M7 and M8. And that's your opinion. The bezel of the M8 doesn't bother me one bit. I really value powerful front facing speakers.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

It will be made of metal and heavier, like the One was. Assuming they don't go back to polycarbonate.

The width and height will be largely similar. Like the one even with its smaller screen compared to the S5).

And don't twist my words.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

It will be made of metal and heavier, like the One was. Assuming they don't go back to polycarbonate.

The width and height will be largely similar. Like the one even with its smaller screen compared to the S5).

And don't twist my words.

What words am I twisting? You tried to tell me that the M8 was going to be heavier than the M7 when clearly it isn't. So you are making a point against the One because you thought the newer model was going to be larger and heavier. And now you are completely dismissing the fact that the S5 is larger and heavier than the S4. It's funny to me because you tried to make a point against one phone when in reality it applies to another line.

How heavy to do you think the M8 will be? I already told you it's going to be thinner. It might be a touch taller, we don't know. So I think it's very safe to say at this point that the M8 won't be heavier than the M7. The M7 is 143 grams. The S5 is 145 grams. So in actuality the M8 should at least be equal in weight to the S5. Seeing that the S5 just got larger than the S4 I don't see the M8 being any bigger taller or wider than the S5.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Has this all been over a few millimeters and grams?

Yup! Quite entertaining but not very enlightening. Maybe someone already did this and I missed it but let me throw out an unscientific analysis. Using printed pictures, on the M8 I scale the distance from the bottom of phone to top of menu buttons at 1.04" (18% of device height). On the Sony Z2 I scale the same distance at 0.9" (16% of device height). A grand total difference of 0.14" (about as much as a fingernail that needs trimmed) and 2% of device height. Most if not all of this difference is due to the M8's speaker. Am I missing all the bezel hatin' in the Z2 forums?

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. The silly bickering needs to stop and won't be tolerated.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Not sure personally why this is a big issue to people either
Function over Fashion, not vice versa
Though I do not like the round shape of the phone...they should have kept it more square like the first HTC One
Other than that, I think the phone is not bad at all

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Not sure personally why this is a big issue to people either
Function over Fashion, not vice versa
Though I do not like the round shape of the phone...they should have kept it more square like the first HTC One
Other than that, I think the phone is not bad at all
Hard to use your phone when it just keeps getting taller. One handed use on it was hard enough for most people, and with the on screen buttons the screen real estate left is pretty much the same as the One's but farther from the bottom.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. This is the second time I've had to make this request in this thread.

If you don't care for the thread or a post, then just feel free to move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, you should report it to the moderator team for review.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

OMSNY

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

The problem is that the large bezel + the on screen buttons puts the app drawer towards the middle of the phone which makes it awkward to access. Boils down to personal preference.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Hey...if the big HTC logo on the big bezel means no room for Verizon's logo, I'LL PAY EXTRA for that! I can't tell you how thrilled I am that the front of my OG One is VzW-free!!!

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I wish they'd just leave the front for users and brand the back if they need to

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members