Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Love Divine
  • 2 Post By ffejjj
  • 1 Post By NEXUS_HTC_PS
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  • 1 Post By cgardnervt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Current HTC One owners, is the HTC One (M8) enough of an upgrade for you?

Based on the leaks (hardware and design) we've seen, is the M8 enough of an upgrade for you current HTC One owners? Who plans on picking one up when it becomes available?

The HTC One is a fantastic device and has received high remarks globally - it was awarded top smartphone of the year at MWC. I hope the M8 builds on that success and becomes a much like device as it's predecessor.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-28-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Default Re: Current HTC One owners, is the M8 enough of an upgrade for you?

Love my One. The S5 doesn't seem that intriguing to me, as they didn't move forward on a few things I would've liked. My options that I'm considering:

1) Stick with my One for another year. It still does everything I want. Fast, good battery, good screen, speakers... Really just a great device. The camera has gone to **** though. I could spare a week to send it in to get it repaired by HTC.
    2) Go with the "All New One" in the summer. The bigger screen size, CAMERA and hopefully battery upgrades will be a nice boost. A little extra horsepower could come in handy for some apps. Camera and battery life are really the biggest upgrades I'm after hardware-wise.
    3) Wait for the iPhone 6. Actually really considering this. The hardware will be top notch, I'm sure. Again, iOS vs Android is the fundamental question. My priorities have changed - I no longer have time to fiddle with my device, and I appreciate the superior app selection and general polish and usability of iOS. I'm willing to give it a try. If the iPhone gets a bigger screen this year, I think I'll go this route.
    srkmagnus likes this.

My contract is up next year so the M9 is more likely to take my money

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

I'm still enjoying my One. No issues at all. My camera hasn't crapped out on me. No issues what so ever. And with kitkat it feels refreshed. I do have an upgrade that Ive not used. If the new camera is as good as I think its going to be I'm getting it. I don't like the back as much as I do the og One though. The design itself is ok, nothing as stunning as last years though. I do realize HTC is establishing an actual brand and that takes time. If I dont get the M8, the M9 will definitely be the One next year.(pun intended).

I guess we'll find out March 25th Even if i dont get it I still cant wait to see what it brings
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    srkmagnus and bembol like this.

I'm going to have two Ones!

Posted via My Smartphone of the Year HTC One GPe
    Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom
    srkmagnus likes this.

I was one of the fools that waited months for Verizon to get the ONE while trying to hold onto my grandfathered data plan. I got so fed up with them I switched to AT&T so I haven't had my one nearly as long as most. It's an absolute pleasure to own. The camera has well-documented issues but I rarely use it. It's more of a "better to have any camera than none" in certain spontaneous situations but I always carry a real camera/accessories/tripod any time I go somewhere I know I'm planning to take pictures that will provide lasting memories or are worth sharing.

I doubt I'll take a hit to the wallet to switch phones until I qualify for an update based on my current contract. I just can't imagine the M8 being so superior to the ONE that it would make me jump hardware early. Of course, this opinion subject to change quickly once the M8's are in peoples hands and I get to see it in action.

Absolutely. I love my OG One but miss three things from my DNA: the 5" screen, an actual Menu button (still need it sometimes), and the slimmer profile. If the One Plus (my preference) has those, plus a bigger battery (pleeez! There's just no excuse), better BoomSound (yes, I actually use it...amazing stereo separation), faster processor (801, HTC; for bragging rights if nothing else), and an improved camera, this might actually be the first ever phone I purchase off-contract. I'd sell my mint-condition OG One to offset the hit in my wallet.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    7,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    Love my One. The S5 doesn't seem that intriguing to me, as they didn't move forward on a few things I would've liked. My options that I'm considering:

1) Stick with my One for another year. It still does everything I want. Fast, good battery, good screen, speakers... Really just a great device. The camera has gone to **** though. I could spare a week to send it in to get it repaired by HTC.
    2) Go with the "All New One" in the summer. The bigger screen size, CAMERA and hopefully battery upgrades will be a nice boost. A little extra horsepower could come in handy for some apps. Camera and battery life are really the biggest upgrades I'm after hardware-wise.
    3) Wait for the iPhone 6. Actually really considering this. The hardware will be top notch, I'm sure. Again, iOS vs Android is the fundamental question. My priorities have changed - I no longer have time to fiddle with my device, and I appreciate the superior app selection and general polish and usability of iOS. I'm willing to give it a try. If the iPhone gets a bigger screen this year, I think I'll go this route.
    There's nothing wrong with that. My wife has the 4S and is due for an upgrade. She's content with her current device and want to upgrade it at this moment. I can definitely see her upgrading to the next iOS device and enjoying it - I'll have plenty of time to fiddle with it at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by LindtChocolate View Post
    My contract is up next year so the M9 is more likely to take my money
    I'm thinking that may be the case for most current One owners. Given the opportunity and you were able to offset an off contract purchase by selling your current device would you jump on it?

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS_HTC_PS View Post
    I'm going to have two Ones!

Posted via My Smartphone of the Year HTC One GPe
    Which One? The One or All New One, or One of One to go with a One? j/k. Let us know how the All New One compares if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by cadzilla74 View Post
    I doubt I'll take a hit to the wallet to switch phones until I qualify for an update based on my current contract. I just can't imagine the M8 being so superior to the ONE that it would make me jump hardware early. Of course, this opinion subject to change quickly once the M8's are in peoples hands and I get to see it in action.
    I think that's what will sway many people on the fence with a current One. Once it gets into consumer hands and the blogs start posting reviews about the device many may start to take a more serious look at it and not pay too much attention to the dislikes of the device.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I'm thinking that may be the case for most current One owners. Given the opportunity and you were able to offset an off contract purchase by selling your current device would you jump on it?
    Ehh, not with the current design that I'm seeing with the leaks. That black bezel housing the HTC logo, added on with the on-screen buttons, make the phone unreasonably tall just to keep the same screen real estate as the one (and I would think they would want MORE screen real estate as time goes on, not just stick with the One's amount). Also, the power button is on the top according to leaks, which will make one handed use more annoying than it already is. I think a lot of people are going to end up with the same opinion as I have (an opinion that already exists with the One) if the designs we are seeing in the leaks are the real deal.

However, I would like to see how their flagship is like after they possibly botch the M8.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

For me its far to early to tell. Need to see what the phone offers.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com

Like others I'm quite happy with my One now, so it will take a lot to get me to upgrade.

Since we are going strictly off rumors at this point I'm actually a little turned off by one thing so far: memory card support. Yes, I'm one that very much agrees that memory cards hurt performance, not help. Plus, often times companies include a low amount of internal storage when they support them - typically 16GB. If HTC does that consider me uninterested. If it at least has 32GB I'll be fine and just wouldn't put a memory card in it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Currently using:
    HTC One M8 - Gunmetal

I'm leaning towards getting the New ONE 2014 this year.. I love the HTC one 2013 and I will keep mine for back up.. so I'll have 2 ones.. I mainly looking at it for a better camera mostly , everything else HTC upgraded is just a bonus..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    7,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    For me its far to early to tell. Need to see what the phone offers.
    Well, here you go: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...ked-video.html

Scroll down a few post to see it reposted . It's a developer version and some obvious bugs exists (camera, Youtube). But over-all looks to be a nice phone. The bezel is still an issue for many people. Though, that's something that can possibly be overlooked if the device performs well.
    Thanked by:

I don't really have the desire to move from my current HTC One to the upgraded version. It is plenty fast for me. My pictures are good enough for a phone. I actually like having the home and back buttons off the screen. I never understood why that was such an issue for people. I am struggling to come up with a complaint for the phone. I have plenty of storage, and my battery will last me from when I unplug it in the morning at 6 until I plug it back in at 11 with 20%+ to spare. The way it is now, I plan on holding onto the One until until it starts to malfunction.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Well, here you go: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...ked-video.html

Scroll down a few post to see it reposted . It's a developer version and some obvious bugs exists (camera, Youtube). But over-all looks to be a nice phone. The bezel is still an issue for many people. Though, that's something that can possibly be overlooked if the device performs well.
    Great video but this doesn't prove if they will make any changes or not. If they don't its still a 50/50 for me.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    7,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    Great video but this doesn't prove if they will make any changes or not. If they don't its still a 50/50 for me.
    Hardware design should be dialed in by now and the model shown in the video, at least in my opinion, should be close to the final product in terms of design. Software wise there's obvious enhancements that need to be made still and will continue to be made even when the consumer product is released.

There's a few weeks to go, so we'll no soon enough
    Last edited by srkmagnus; 03-03-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typos.
    cgardnervt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Hardware design should be dialed in by now and the model shown in the video, at least in my opinion, should be close to the final product in terms of design. Software wise there's obvious enhancements that need to be made still and will continue to be made even when the consumer product is released.

There's a few weeks to go, so we'll no soon enough
    Agreed! I'm excited but I'm looking at what I really need as well. I'd like the new HTC One if its what I think it will be but money wise depending on its price I may wait it out for a little bit.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    srkmagnus likes this.

It's never enough.

Base on what I've seen, it just knocked it down to three below Apple's 5.5" iPhone 6 and Sony XPERIA Z2.

I bought the OLD One last year twice (regret selling it) so there's no doubt I WILL buy this for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post

I bought the OLD One last year twice (regret selling it) so there's no doubt I WILL buy this for sure.
    I remember you having and leaving the One. Was curious about your opinion here

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    LG G3
    Ambassador

Not really that excited, the Z2 took all that away.

There's really not much to say, like Samsung Galaxy S5 hTc missed the opportunity to shine. Did they even move the Power Button/iR Remote?

This was posted in phandroid and looks much better. Companies need to get over themselves, why have that USELESS hTc logo there again?

Current HTC One owners, is the HTC One (M8) enough of an upgrade for you?-original.jpg

Power button is now on the opposite side where the headphone jack was. Headphone jack at the bottom

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    LG G3
    Ambassador

According to the video that is. And yes that pic would have been great

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    LG G3
    Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    Not really that excited, the Z2 took all that away.

There's really not much to say, like Samsung Galaxy S5 hTc missed the opportunity to shine. Did they even move the Power Button/iR Remote?

This was posted in phandroid and looks much better. Companies need to get over themselves, why have that USELESS hTc logo there again?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	106569
    Without the bezel the phone just looks so much better. That useless HTC logo is just so you're advertising for HTC while using their product. So when people see you browsing on your shiny new phone, they see the shiny HTC logo and want to buy a shiny phone just like yours. I'm hoping the M9 remedies this issue, that's about the time my contract is up.

First. Isn't that why they have a hTc logo on the back.

Second. What are you doing looking over my shoulder? LOL