Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 139
Like Tree84Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,515 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Galaxy S5 or HTC One (M8) - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Well, we know what Samsung has brought to the table with the Galaxy S5 and we'll know on March 25th what HTC is going to offer in the M8. With that, who is waiting to see what HTC announces before making a decision between the S5 or M8? If these don't stack up what other devices are you looking to purchase?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 09:49 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Well, we know what Samsung has brought to the table with the Galaxy S5 and we'll know on March 25th what HTC is going to offer in the M8. With that, who is waiting to see what HTC announces before making a decision between the S5 or M8? If these don't stack up what other devices are you looking to purchase?
    Well being that the Samsung S5 is the same piece of 5h1t as the S4, I can't really see anyone with any true knowledge of smartphones choosing it over the M8. That being said, they'll still sell millions to unintelligent buyers on the shoulders of Samsung's marketing budget.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
  3. #3  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,948 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,445 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Given those two choices I'd be more likely to choose the M8.


    Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32
    Live long and prosper.


  4. #4  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    That's the thing. People just don't have a clue apart from the few tech heads. I'm just happy I managed to convert one friend who tried my htc one and bought one instead of the s4. His brother got the s4 and is jealous every time we use our phones in front of him. He says it just has loads of gimmicks he doesn't use. For me the speakers are a massage selling point. I'm an estate agent and watch sky go in my car waiting for people to turn up. I also play darts in my garage with friends round having a beer and play music through YouTube or whatever and sounds really good. I will be upgrading to m8 soon as is released.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    I'm coming from a line of Htc phones Hero, Diamond, OG Evo, Evo lte, and now my One. The thing I've always loved about Htc is the lcd screen. I love the bright display and most always run at 100% brightness. The oled screen's feel like they have cartoon colors to my eyes, very over saturated, exaggerated colors. For this reason alone i've always leaned towards lcd displays.

    Now with the release of the One last year we received 2 front facing speakers with amazing sound. That and the One is the smoothest running phone i've ever owned. So if i were given the choice between the 2 i would choose the M8, but will I....

    There is another phone coming that has peaked my interest. Even if i do buy the M8 i wont do so until i see the G3. The Optimus caught my eye and the G2 even more so. For this i'll wait till the G3 is released before i make any real decision
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    Well being that the Samsung S5 is the same piece of 5h1t as the S4, I can't really see anyone with any true knowledge of smartphones choosing it over the M8. That being said, they'll still sell millions to unintelligent buyers on the shoulders of Samsung's marketing budget.
    OK I'll bite, how exactly is the S4 a POS? Do you have durability stats to support your claim? Of course not. Exactly where did you acquire this "true knowledge" of smartphones and where has it been shown that those with such "true knowledge" by HTC Ones? Seems to me to be a matter of personal preference with each phone having its own pluses and minuses but I guess I'm wrong based on this "true knowledge".
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    I have to admit this is the first Samsung phone ever that has caught my eye. I like the design and the additions they came with this year
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  8. #8  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,948 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,445 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    I have to admit this is the first Samsung phone ever that has caught my eye. I like the design and the additions they came with this year
    "Different strokes" really does apply here.


    Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32
    Live long and prosper.


    ffejjj likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    I'm going to have two Ones!

    Posted via My Smartphone of the Year HTC One GPe
    Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom
    Maria Gabriela likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Well, we know what Samsung has brought to the table with the Galaxy S5 and we'll know on March 25th what HTC is going to offer in the M8. With that, who is waiting to see what HTC announces before making a decision between the S5 or M8? If these don't stack up what other devices are you looking to purchase?
    I'm blessed, I'll probably have both to go with my N5
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    OK I'll bite, how exactly is the S4 a POS? Do you have durability stats to support your claim? Of course not. Exactly where did you acquire this "true knowledge" of smartphones and where has it been shown that those with such "true knowledge" by HTC Ones? Seems to me to be a matter of personal preference with each phone having its own pluses and minuses but I guess I'm wrong based on this "true knowledge".
    Plastic crap with an awful OS that takes up more than half of it's internal storage (16GB addition). Throw in their bloatware applications that reminds me of what carriers do and the phone is nothing short of a POS. If it looks like one. And it behaves like one. It is one.
    Mr.Willie and elmacho like this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    Plastic crap with an awful OS that takes up more than half of it's internal storage (16GB addition). Throw in their bloatware applications that reminds me of what carriers do and the phone is nothing short of a POS. If it looks like one. And it behaves like one. It is one.
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But that doesn't give you "true knowledge" and everyone else an ***** for liking the S4.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But that doesn't give you "true knowledge" and everyone else an ***** for liking the S4.
    It's not really an opinion that the device is made out of slimy plastic while competing devices like the HTC One & iPhone are made out of aluminum and glass. It's also not an opinion that the OS takes up more than 8 GB of storage. It's also not opinion that Samsung services such as S-Voice are complete bloatware that are far inferior to built in services like Google Now. In fact, I didn't state any opinion at all. I called it a POS and backed it up with facts.
  14. #14  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,948 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,445 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    It's not really an opinion that the device is made out of slimy plastic while competing devices like the HTC One & iPhone are made out of aluminum and glass. It's also not an opinion that the OS takes up more than 8 GB of storage. It's also not opinion that Samsung services such as S-Voice are complete bloatware that are far inferior to built in services like Google Now. In fact, I didn't state any opinion at all. I called it a POS and backed it up with facts.
    While, for the most part, I agree with your opinion it is, in fact, an opinion that the plastic is slimy and that S-voice is bloatware and that overall the phone is a POS. You know all of this clearly but wanted to have it pointed out just as clearly so I'm doing so.


    Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    Live long and prosper.


    madlaw1071 and Mac58 like this.
  15. #15  
    wtherrell's Avatar

    Posts
    389 Posts
    ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    Well being that the Samsung S5 is the same piece of 5h1t as the S4, I can't really see anyone with any true knowledge of smartphones choosing it over the M8. That being said, they'll still sell millions to unintelligent buyers on the shoulders of Samsung's marketing budget.
    Your snobbery amounts to lunatic proportions. Your post, like this one, contributes nothing to an intelligent discussion. Anyone who has an opinion different from your own is automatically unintelligent.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
  16. #16  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,948 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,445 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Your snobbery amount to lunatic proportions. Your post, like this one, contributes nothing to an intelligent discussion. Anyone who has an opinion different from your own is automatically unintelligent.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Give the guy a break, we were all teenagers, like him, once.


    Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    Live long and prosper.


    madlaw1071 likes this.
  17. #17  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,653 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    Plastic crap with an awful OS that takes up more than half of it's internal storage (16GB addition). Throw in their bloatware applications that reminds me of what carriers do and the phone is nothing short of a POS. If it looks like one. And it behaves like one. It is one.
    The S4 has 9.7 GB available out of the box, not less than 8. While 6.3 is still a lot for the OS to take up, it's not more than the half that you claimed. Preferring aluminum over plastic is subjective, so yes, it is an opinion that the One is better than the S4.
    I do agree that TouchWiz isn't very good, but I wouldn't say it's a POS either.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Probably the M8. I don't like that the base version is just 16 gb for the S5 especially with the TouchWiz bloat taking up so much. I'll wait to see how the camera and battery life reviews for both. Will also be interested to see if a Prime version of the S5 surfaces.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    There are lots of sites saying that s4 does come with half available storage Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Another ROM Hog, Uses Nearly 8GB Of Internal Storage
  20. #20  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,653 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fergout View Post
    There are lots of sites saying that s4 does come with half available storage Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Another ROM Hog, Uses Nearly 8GB Of Internal Storage
    That's the S5


    Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by UJ95x; 03-01-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Or shockingly if space is an issue you can buy a 32gb S5.
    Premium1 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    You're saying I can get more space and not have to complain about half the 16gb being used?

    Galaxy S5 or HTC One (M8) - Which are you more likely to buy?-1393692314956.jpg

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,515 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    I'm blessed, I'll probably have both to go with my N5
    Nothing wrong with that Let us know how the S5 and M8 compare to the N5 when you get your hands on the devices.
    madlaw1071 likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,515 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Given those two choices I'd be more likely to choose the M8.

    Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32
    What about outside those choices? Anything you see worth getting over these two devices?
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Galaxy S5 or M8 - Which are you more likely to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    Well being that the Samsung S5 is the same piece of 5h1t as the S4, I can't really see anyone with any true knowledge of smartphones choosing it over the M8. That being said, they'll still sell millions to unintelligent buyers on the shoulders of Samsung's marketing budget.
    Actually I think they will sell lots because they fixed many of the things people complained about with the s4 and also made it water resistant. Plus for those who like removable batteries and SD cards, that appeals to them. Not everyone is unintelligent because they buy a phone you Dont like. And to the OP, I'd pass over both of these and go with the g3 most likely because it will be better than the s5/one once again

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by fergout View Post
    There are lots of sites saying that s4 does come with half available storage Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Another ROM Hog, Uses Nearly 8GB Of Internal Storage
    http://androidspin.com/2014/03/01/record-samsung-galaxy-s5-actually-10-7gb-free-16gb-version/
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung releases KitKat source code for Tmo Galaxy Note 3
    By Deke218 in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM
  2. WTS: WTS Samsung Galaxy S3 screen glass
    By Tony2255 in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 05:49 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 10:12 AM
  4. Samsung Galaxy S3 Cannot Communicate
    By brian1childs in forum Google Chromecast
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2014, 10:57 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions