Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 194
Like Tree88Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    7,395 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default What about the HTC One (M8) DON'T you like?

    There have been several leaks lately including a video of the device walking through the hardware and software included with it. Considering what we've already seen, what don't you like about the M8 that you wish could be changed?

    Let's take it a step further and assume that HTC called you directly and said, "What's the 1 thing you want us to change or include in the M8?" I know it's hard to come up with that One thing since there may be many. But considering that, what would you say?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-02-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    UJ95x likes this.
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,476 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    I think I as well as many others (although I won't be getting the phone) would get rid of the black bezel on the front of the phone. So much wasted space that just adds to the size of the phone, and all just to get their logo on the front of the phone. Like we didn't already know what phone it was

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. #3  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Bezel
    LindtChocolate likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Everybody's going to say bezel, but another think that stands out to me is the build design. It's too curvy in my opinion. Plus the finish on the metal makes it look a tad garish if you ask me.

    Posted via Android Central App
    jackoceanz likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Reports that with the SD card, internal memory will be reduced to 16. Hate that idea. Let me have 32 for everything but media (music, audio books, movies) which I can put on the SD card.

    Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Bezel.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Let's assume that none of us like the bezel (we don't). What else?

    In the video he said it was 4.7" yet again, I'd like 5" which could be achieved without the black bezel lol

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,476 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Let's assume that none of us like the bezel (we don't). What else?

    In the video he said it was 4.7" yet again, I'd like 5" which could be achieved without the black bezel lol

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    I don't like the design of the phone either. The One (M7) looked a lot better

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    ffejjj likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I don't like the design of the phone either. The One (M7) looked a lot better

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    I tend to agree.

    On the plus side I did like the look of the camera interface

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,476 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    I tend to agree.

    On the plus side I did like the look of the camera interface

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    I didn't see much of the video that got uploaded so I'm not sure how that looked.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  11. #11  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    The only thing I won't like is if they are still using microusb 2.0 instead of 3.0.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    The whole HTC scheme of bootloader security and S-On. How long it is. And Sense UI, although its more bearable than Touchwiz.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    No wireless charging
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    The gimmicky camera. HTC swung and missed (big time) with their Ultra Pixel gambit. Not only did the camera under perform its competition in virtually every known professional comparison but the modules themselves were defective. Just see the various threads on AutoFocus issues and the dreaded purple tint. I own 3 Ones and the issues have occurred on 1 so far. If 33% of their cameras are defective that's a major problem.

    Fast forward to 2014 and HTC is even more dire straights financially. Rather than play it safe and put a standard 13-16mp camera in there they seem to have come up with a new gimmick, the double lens. It can either be spectacularly bad or good. Seems like quite a risk for them.
    blackdogAC likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Fast forward to 2014 and HTC is even more dire straights financially. Rather than play it safe and put a standard 13-16mp camera in there they seem to have come up with a new gimmick, the double lens. It can either be spectacularly bad or good. Seems like quite a risk for them.
    You're joking right? The only reason Samsung has gotten this big is because they spent so much money on taking risks and advertising them to no end. There was no way to properly physically showcase that ultrapixel camera, it just had nothing going for it, but two cameras on the back of your phone get people talking about it. All HTC needs is to market themselves as the only phone with a dual camera lens for -insert whatever the hell it does here-. If you want "standard" there is the galaxy S line that holds that word hostage now. Only way to beat your competition is to make something that isn't standard (ie. the metal casing on the HTC that made it so popular, competing with the popular metal design of the iPhone) and to then flaunt it.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    What? The metal casing did nothing for HTC except win over a handful of tech sites and bloggers. The phone was a commercial flop. HTC can't beat samsung and they can only hope to become viable again. If the dual camera flops as bad as ultra pixel did it could be sionara for HTC.
    thegrants82 likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    What? The metal casing did nothing for HTC except win over a handful of tech sites and bloggers. The phone was a commercial flop. HTC can't beat samsung and they can only hope to become viable again. If the dual camera flops as bad as ultra pixel did it could be sionara for HTC.
    The only reason it won over those people was because of the anaemic marketing on the part of HTC, if people actually knew about it, then the metal casing would make it a success

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    BldyIdt likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    What? The metal casing did nothing for HTC except win over a handful of tech sites and bloggers. The phone was a commercial flop. HTC can't beat samsung and they can only hope to become viable again. If the dual camera flops as bad as ultra pixel did it could be sionara for HTC.
    A handful of tech sites? More like every mobile site, because they all praised it. Also, the phone won phone of the year/best smartphone at things like MWC and phonedog. That, honestly, is probably what put the phone at the top of many people's lists (obviously not enough). That unique android design was very important for the limited success of that phone, without it it probably wouldn't have sold much at all.
    Beating Samsung isn't a battle of phones btw, it is a battle of advertising. That's why I said the dual-camera is a much better advertising point than a 4MP camera. You also TOTALLY ignored the point of my post which is to tell you that putting a 13-16MP on the camera isn't enough, and that it HAS to take risks to get over on competition.
    JasonF, BldyIdt and ErnstMach like this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by LindtChocolate View Post
    A handful of tech sites? More like every mobile site, because they all praised it. Also, the phone won phone of the year/best smartphone at things like MWC and phonedog. That, honestly, is probably what put the phone at the top of many people's lists (obviously not enough). That unique android design was very important for the limited success of that phone, without it it probably wouldn't have sold much at all.
    Beating Samsung isn't a battle of phones btw, it is a battle of advertising. That's why I said the dual-camera is a much better advertising point than a 4MP camera. You also TOTALLY ignored the point of my post which is to tell you that putting a 13-16MP on the camera isn't enough, and that it HAS to take risks to get over on competition.
    +1

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
    No wireless charging
    Don't think it's easy to implement with the metal back.

    I'm hoping this time the camera have a little more than 4MP, I hope the 5MP rumor is wrong. Regardless of pixel quality it needs higher res.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by LindtChocolate View Post
    A handful of tech sites? More like every mobile site, because they all praised it. Also, the phone won phone of the year/best smartphone at things like MWC and phonedog. That, honestly, is probably what put the phone at the top of many people's lists (obviously not enough). That unique android design was very important for the limited success of that phone, without it it probably wouldn't have sold much at all.
    Beating Samsung isn't a battle of phones btw, it is a battle of advertising. That's why I said the dual-camera is a much better advertising point than a 4MP camera. You also TOTALLY ignored the point of my post which is to tell you that putting a 13-16MP on the camera isn't enough, and that it HAS to take risks to get over on competition.
    So we agree the One was a commercial flop?

    Also, do you have any facts to support your claim that the only reason why the S4 outsold the One by huge margins is because of advertising? I will review any such evidence with an open mind. HTC had HIGH PROFILE ad campaigns featuring one of the biggest stars in the world (Robert Downey, Jr) and it didnt move the needle for the One.

    IMO, HTC focused on all the wrong gimmicks with the One. Metal? most people use cases. UltraPixel? The pics lacked detail and the cameras were defective. Boomsound? Most folks use headphones. Blinkfeed? Wasn't customizable and not nearly as good as Flipboard.

    Hey, I own three Ones. I enjoy the hell out of it and will prolly have a New One but I think it's an exercise in oversimplification to solely blame advertising for the lack of success for HTC.
    thegrants82 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by ErnstMach View Post
    The only reason it won over those people was because of the anaemic marketing on the part of HTC, if people actually knew about it, then the metal casing would make it a success

    Posted via Android Central App
    Huh? HTC had a HUGE marketing campaign featuring Iron Man himself, Robert Downey Jr. They spent millions and the phone didn't sell. Maybe the purchasing public just doesnt care about metal since they put cases on their phones.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    So we agree the One was a commercial flop?

    Also, do you have any facts to support your claim that the only reason why the S4 outsold the One by huge margins is because of advertising? I will review any such evidence with an open mind. HTC had HIGH PROFILE ad campaigns featuring one of the biggest stars in the world (Robert Downey, Jr) and it didnt move the needle for the One.

    IMO, HTC focused on all the wrong gimmicks with the One. Metal? most people use cases. UltraPixel? The pics lacked detail and the cameras were defective. Boomsound? Most folks use headphones. Blinkfeed? Wasn't customizable and not nearly as good as Flipboard.

    Hey, I own three Ones. I enjoy the hell out of it and will prolly have a New One but I think it's an exercise in oversimplification to solely blame advertising for the lack of success for HTC.
    Haha.. where do I being on this one? Fallacy much?

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Huh? HTC had a HUGE marketing campaign featuring Iron Man himself, Robert Downey Jr. They spent millions and the phone didn't sell. Maybe the purchasing public just doesnt care about metal since they put cases on their phones.
    "Huge marketing campaign" that flopped. They're spending millions in the wrong places, thus people don't know about the phone in the first place. I didnt see a single one of their ads and the only reason I learned of it is because I read tech blogs. The point here is that the phone was a commercial disappointment, not because it was unpopular or bad, but because HTC's marketing was abysmal, regardless of the millions they paid for RDJ.

    Posted via Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: What about the M8 DON'T you like?

    Quote Originally Posted by ErnstMach View Post
    "Huge marketing campaign" that flopped. They're spending millions in the wrong places, thus people don't know about the phone in the first place. I didnt see a single one of their ads and the only reason I learned of it is because I read tech blogs. The point here is that the phone was a commercial disappointment, not because it was unpopular or bad, but because HTC's marketing was abysmal, regardless of the millions they paid for RDJ.

    Posted via Android Central App
    It's your opinion that they spent millions in the wrong places but maybe they did the ads right but the phone just didn't hit the sweet spot for the purchasing public. We simply don't know.
    thegrants82 likes this.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The psychology of non-subsidized phones . . .
    By pcguys in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 07:55 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2014, 04:17 PM
  3. Get the S4 or wait for S5??
    By jcochran1977 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 04:20 PM
  4. Galaxy S4 GP Edition : Which apps do you have disabled?
    By rob damiani in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 04:18 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions