Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    There are very good reasons why Google moved away from the medium.
    Could Google make the decision that all Android devices will not have removable storage -- no exceptions? Maybe they could block Google services (e.g. Search, Gmail, Maps, Play Store, etc.) on devices that did not comply.

Google may make the OS incapable of seeing any external storage all together, in which case I would likely no longer buy Android devices unless OEM's offered 128GB phones. I need storage, and cloud storage is NOT the answer for me. I am not going to pay a boat load of money to the carrier or hunt for Wi-Fi just so I can access information or store images to the cloud when I could do both locally on my device. I have never had a card fail in my phones ever. I have had microSD fail when used with a card reader on my windows desktops which is likely due to Windows. No external storage, no reason to stay unless internal storage pics up the slack.
    A895 and Jay Sacks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    If the M8 truly has an SD card slot, then HTC has made a determination that the benefits outweigh the risks.
    Well...to be more accurate, I'd guess that HTC has decided that the MARKETING benefit of an SD card outweighs whatever inherent risks are associated with an SD card.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

Quote Originally Posted by KSDroid01 View Post
    Well...to be more accurate, I'd guess that HTC has decided that the MARKETING benefit of an SD card outweighs whatever inherent risks are associated with an SD card.
    Exactly. I believe that HTC's marketing has determined that including an SD card slot is more likely to result in increased sales of the M8. Since HTC is in the business of selling phones, this strategy will benefit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    No external storage, no reason to stay unless internal storage pics up the slack.
    Even if Android phones came with more internal storage, they would be copying the Apple model. iPhones have up to 64 GB of storage, and iPads can go up to 128 GB. However, none of these devices from Apple have a built-in SD card slot. If your phone has an SD card slot, that's just one more feature that differentiates your phone from an iPhone. That, in turn, makes it less likely that a jury will believe that you are copying Apple's design. In the grand scheme of things, I think having a slot is better than not having one, if only for legal purposes.
    A895 likes this.

So all of the current Android phones with no microSD slot are copying Apple, I don't think so. They did it for whatever reasons they had, cost, technology, whatever. Bottom line is if Google wants microSD to go away the internal storage needs to go UP. I want more internal storage (plus my microSD) and of course removable battery.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    So all of the current Android phones with no microSD slot are copying Apple, I don't think so.
    So let's compare the phones in terms of storage:

HTC One (M8) - has a microSD card slot

iPhone 5s - does not have a microSD card slot

If lawyers wanted to convince a jury that the M8 is not copying the iPhone, they would simply insert a microSD card into the M8 in front of them. They would also demonstrate that the same procedure would not be possible with an iPhone because an iPhone doesn't have a slot at all. So having a microSD card slot is an extra point of differentiation that helps protect the M8 (and other Android phones) from lawsuits.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123