Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,925 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC One (M8)?

    Very very happy to see that the new HTC flagship will have SD expansion. Despite google's best efforts it looks like SD just won't die.



    Also happy to see that the new HTC phone is getting rid of hardware buttons. A GPE version might actually be tempting me now...
    tinktink09is likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default

    I really hope they make a comeback Samsung sony htc and blackberry all have it now I like not having to rely on cloud.

    Posted via Android Central App
    tinktink09is likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Very very happy to see that the new HTC flagship will have SD expansion. Despite google's best efforts it looks like SD just won't die.



    Also happy to see that the new HTC phone is getting rid of hardware buttons. A GPE version might actually be tempting me now...
    If only Motorola brought it back :-(

    via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M
  4. #4  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    If only Motorola brought it back :-(

    via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M
    I don't think Lenovo manufacture their own microSD brand like Samsung or Sony, but since they are in the PC business maybe they can get a licensing deal with Microsoft and implement it cheaply for their Android devices. But I still think it won't happen for Moto branded ones.

    sent via tapatalk
  5. #5  
    eggantom's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    I don't believe that they'll bring back SDs. They (mostly Google and MS) tried so hard to force users adopt cloud storage instead of SDs.
  6. #6  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by eggantom View Post
    I don't believe that they'll bring back SDs. They (mostly Google and MS) tried so hard to force users adopt cloud storage instead of SDs.
    While its true that Google is pushing towards losing the sd card slot what you have to also consider is the amount of sales that Htc may have missed out on by not having an sd card. Htc is not in a position where they can afford to lose potential buyers.
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,925 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    While its true that Google is pushing towards losing the sd card slot what you have to also consider is the amount of sales that Htc may have missed out on by not having an sd card. Htc is not in a position where they can afford to lose potential buyers.
    Yeah people have only been telling them that since forever. Better late than never I suppose.

    I am optimistic about Moto changing it's direction too now that Google is no longer the boss of them. I think the anti-SD jihad was really coming mostly from google.
  8. #8  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    I am more of a fan for cloud than SD cards.. They offer nice expansion for maybe movies.. Stuff that's replaceable easily.

    Other things? No thanks. Backing stuff up to them when they can corrupt easily (I've had a few randomly need to be formatted for no reason) or if I dropped my phone in a lake.. Kind of makes me hard to be useful :P.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  9. #9  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    They should have never been taken away in the first place

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    A895 likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    How can you deny the joy and ease of Google plus backing up your pics lol

    I like SD cards for media and Roms that's it. Just because I hate streaming music at the cost of my battery

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    bembol likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Other things? No thanks. Backing stuff up to them when they can corrupt easily (I've had a few randomly need to be formatted for no reason) or if I dropped my phone in a lake.. Kind of makes me hard to be useful :P.
    Who says you have to use them for backup? Why are movies the only thing that are easily replaceable? I find that both using less battery, having access even if I don't have an internet connection and saving on my data plan or saving $150 by getting a 64 GB SD card rather than getting 48GB of internal to be very useful. Backups aren't the only use for extra storage.
    Thanked by 3:
  12. #12  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    Who says you have to use them for backup? Why are movies the only thing that are easily replaceable? I find that both using less battery, having access even if I don't have an internet connection and saving on my data plan or saving $150 by getting a 64 GB SD card rather than getting 48GB of internal to be very useful. Backups aren't the only use for extra storage.
    I never said it was the only thing did I? . I was basically explaining why I'd never use them for things like photos (I've seen some people do this) and they use that as their only backup... It corrupts.. And they can't replace those. Hence why I like the cloud for things like that .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  13. #13  

    Default re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Oh also I understand on using for other things as I've used my storage in general for playlists from Google Play since T-Mobile isn't great in between cities... So I downloaded all my lists and listened to them as I drove... But if I lost those lists they can be replaced easily versus my photos or important documents.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    JeffDenver's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,925 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I am more of a fan for cloud than SD cards..
    SD cards do not mean you can't use the cloud. They are not mutually exclusive.

    I am loving more local storage on my nexus 5. The cloud did not save me on the Nexus 4...I had to delete stuff all the time. it was annoying as hell.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I am more of a fan for cloud than SD cards.. They offer nice expansion for maybe movies.. Stuff that's replaceable easily.

    Other things? No thanks. Backing stuff up to them when they can corrupt easily (I've had a few randomly need to be formatted for no reason) or if I dropped my phone in a lake.. Kind of makes me hard to be useful :P.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    I use it for storage but I do backup frequently. I don't mind to stream but I don't get a solid 80-100mbps connection to stream 4k.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    While its true that Google is pushing towards losing the sd card slot what you have to also consider is the amount of sales that Htc may have missed out on by not having an sd card. Htc is not in a position where they can afford to lose potential buyers.
    I'm one of those potential buyers and they are definitely reeling me in with it available.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I never said it was the only thing did I? .
    Yes you did:

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I am more of a fan for cloud than SD cards.. They offer nice expansion for maybe movies.. Stuff that's replaceable easily.

    Other things? No thanks. Backing stuff up to them when they can corrupt easily (I've had a few randomly need to be formatted for no reason) or if I dropped my phone in a lake.. Kind of makes me hard to be useful :P.
    Right there you said that the only thing they're good for is movies, otherwise they're useless. Your whole argument is that SD cards are useless for anything but movies because SD cards are bad for baking stuff up. I'm pointing out that what you said is a very blatant logical fallacy because you can use your SD card for things other than back ups and using a SD card doesn't prevent you from using any other type of backup, including cloud services.

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I was basically explaining why I'd never use them for things like photos (I've seen some people do this) and they use that as their only backup... It corrupts.. And they can't replace those. Hence why I like the cloud for things like that .
    Saying that SD cards are useless because some people don't back up their data in other places is a straw man. You made up a single scenario where they are useless and then applied that universally. It's also true for internal storage, PC storage or any other type of storage. If you don't back up your data you're always at risk of losing it. That has nothing to do with SD cards.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    Yes you did:

    Right there you said that the only thing they're good for is movies, otherwise they're useless. Your whole argument is that SD cards are useless for anything but movies because SD cards are bad for baking stuff up. I'm pointing out that what you said is a very blatant logical fallacy because you can use your SD card for things other than back ups and using a SD card doesn't prevent you from using any other type of backup, including cloud services.

    Saying that SD cards are useless because some people don't back up their data in other places is a straw man. You made up a single scenario where they are useless and then applied that universally. It's also true for internal storage, PC storage or any other type of storage. If you don't back up your data you're always at risk of losing it. That has nothing to do with SD cards.
    I'll chime in here. I'm not too big on SD cards as far as them being a must have. I've given them a try and was unfortunate enough to have them become corrupt on several occasions (along with random unmount events). With that said, I'm reluctant to use then due to the volatility of data at rest. So I would not use them as a medium for archiving data.

    However, I have found them extremely convenient for storing files (E-books, PDFs, videos, etc), that will allow me to free up more native storage while having access to them that doesn't require a data connection.

    For me, the usage of an SD card is a judgment call. Knowing the pitfalls, I have to decide if I can trust them for content that isn't easily replaceable or that hasn't been stored in an alternate location.

    My personal concern is that with the advent of 4K video recording, SD Cards may serve a critical purpose (since the file size of 4K can add up quickly) and the usage of them may be unavoidable in certain instances. My $0.2.

    Posted via Android Central App
    madlaw1071 likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    It's not for everyone. I like to d/l and swap media on the fly (often travelling) where it's nice to have flexibility independent from wifi etc. Music, movies, and ROMS!
  20. #20  
    BigDinCA's Avatar

    Posts
    882 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    I said it last year and I'll say it again this year, the only thing I missed about losing the microSD slot was the ability to quickly swap everything into another device. I always backed up to the cloud even when i did have a card in my EVOs, but having local copies is great. If I have to swap my phone out with a refurb I don't want to waste 2 hours downloading all of my music and photos from the cloud.

    Not having the storage wasn't a deal breaker for me last year and it wouldn't be this year either. If they put it back that's just a little icing on the cake. But if they do it at the expense of internal storage (like dropping to 16GB from 32GB) that's a problem.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    How can you deny the joy and ease of Google plus backing up your pics lol

    I like SD cards for media and Roms that's it. Just because I hate streaming music at the cost of my battery

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Even if The Big 3 (Bell, Rogers & Telus) offered Unlimited Data, people seem to forget Batteries don't last long and worst takes forever to charge.

    Having said that, I've adapted and learned to deal with what I have/given to me. 32GB nexus 5.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I use it for storage but I do backup frequently. I don't mind to stream but I don't get a solid 80-100mbps connection to stream 4k.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Well understandable.. Note my post didn't say storing the movies in the cloud.. But rather the SD card . I was saying SD cards are great for extra storage like movies, music, etc. Things (to me) that irreplaceable like photos belong directly to the cloud.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Well understandable.. Note my post didn't say storing the movies in the cloud.. But rather the SD card . I was saying SD cards are great for extra storage like movies, music, etc. Things (to me) that irreplaceable like photos belong directly to the cloud.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sure everything important should be backed up.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  24. #24  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,962 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    I apologize ahead of time if this was already said in this thread.

    Kit Kat does have very specific support for SD cards. You can read from them, and apps can create their own folders on them. It is not a universal write type of scenario.

    Also, they can still be done "wrong" like Samsung is doing when they mess with the mount points and stuff like that. If HTC or anyone else (this does include Samsung) do it the way Google wrote it in then how could anyone, including myself, complain? If it's done "the way Google intends" then I won't complain. I probably still won't use it, but I won't say it's the worst thing ever either.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    dmmarck likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Is micro SD making a comeback in the HTC M8?

    On a side note, having an SD card may help speed up the rooting process of this phone also. ;-)

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Desktop Bookmarks will not show up in Chrome on Note 3
    By cwbcpa in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 10:30 AM
  2. What is com.sec.android.app.sbrowser? Battery life on KitKat
    By MichaelGrahamLS in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 05:23 PM
  3. Xperia Z1 Compact: Protective cases on the androidcentralshop?
    By Anders Carlstein in forum Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM
  4. Is anybody else just waiting for a 5 inch or better iPhone??
    By William Mcnulty in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 08:42 PM
  5. Nexus 7 not recognized in Device Manager
    By skeetersf in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 01:50 AM

Posting Permissions