Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One (M8): Kind of Ironic

    By many accounts, the M8 will offer a 16g model with an SD slot a la Samsung. I predict all the same folks, including mods and writers on this site who praised HTC for being truer to Android by eschewing SD support and offering more internal memory with the One will probably now praise HTC for listening to the consumer with the New One. By contrast, these folks slagged the S4 for its lack in internal memory and continued support for the archaic SD cards.

    This will be a fun couple weeks around here.

    FTR, I am in the more likely to buy an M8 than S5 column though all will get a shot to knock the N5 out of the daily driver slot.

    All new HTC One (HTC M8) 'quick review' video surfaces, claims there will be 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models
  2. #2  
    doc31's Avatar

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    IMO I don't think people blasted the S4 for simply having 16gb the problems was it had 16gb and a bloated OS taking up most of it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by doc31 View Post
    IMO I don't think people blasted the S4 for simply having 16gb the problems was it had 16gb and a bloated OS taking up most of it.
    They were blasted for both and for continuing to support SD cards.
  4. #4  
    ibcop's Avatar

    Posts
    3,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,835 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    And which carriers will have the 32gb/64gb version. Probably all will go for the 16gb, but it'll be interesting to see what is left for the end user.
  5. #5  
    ibcop's Avatar

    Posts
    3,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,835 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    They were blasted for both and for continuing to support SD cards.
    You know all hell will break loose once the device is revealed. "Why didn't they do this", and so on. I'll be the first to say I was disappointed with the S5 not moving to 32gb as the minimum. I think some people would argue with telephone poles.
    madlaw1071 and KSDroid01 like this.
  6. #6  
    BigDinCA's Avatar

    Posts
    939 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    They were blasted for both and for continuing to support SD cards.
    I think it's funny that lots of people are saying the same thing you are, that HTC fans will praise them for everything they hated about the S4 last year just because it's an HTC product. Similar things have been posted in the comments on the blogs. The fact was, lots of us were disappointed in the lack of SD support, but having 32GB as a minimum made it more palatable. I was one of them. But the Samsung faithful started blasting the lack of removable battery and SD support as a sign of the apocalypse and that's where it all started. Most people didn't care that Samsung still supported it, they just didn't think it was as big of a deal that HTC didn't. At some point in the conversation it was pointed out that HTC was actually adhering to the Android guidelines more than Samsung by forgoing the SD support. There were a few who blasted Samsung for that and they should absolutely blast HTC as well this year. If they don't they're hypocrites.
    madlaw1071 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Yeah, it will be very interesting. :P

    I used to use SD cards all the time until I started buying Nexus devices. It actually was a pretty hard transition for me, since I was accustomed to putting videos, pictures, music, and app backups on my SD card. Once I got my Nexus 7, I had to get used to fixed internal storage, and my dependence upon the cloud grew sky high. By the time I got my Nexus 5, I was totally used to not using an external SD, and I currently use internal memory and cloud backups on Google for music, pictures, video, ect.

    I'm excited to see the new One have an SD slot; however, that isn't something of a deal breaker to me. If it has one then I'll use it, and if it doesn't, then I'll do what I have been doing without them.

    Posted via Android Central App
    ffejjj likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Well I'd consider myself am HTC fan. Honestly I was a bit worried when the One was announced and there was no sd card. What I found for myself was that 32gb of internal storage was plenty. I like using Google and Dropbox because I can access my files with any device.

    I'm surprised to see sd cards making a bit of a comeback but by no means am I against it. I just see me using it less

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    HTC is doing exactly what they did last year: sticking with Google. This year, Kit Kat reintroduced them and HTC is simply sticking with their guidelines.

    No doubt their implementation will be cleaner than Samsung's. That said, my fears of them releasing a 16 gb version seem to be true. That's a definite negative that's got to be mostly due to the inclusion of the SD.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Kevin OQuinn likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    HTC is doing exactly what they did last year: sticking with Google. This year, Kit Kat reintroduced them and HTC is simply sticking with their guidelines.

    No doubt their implementation will be cleaner than Samsung's. That said, my fears of them releasing a 16 gb version seem to be true. That's a definite negative that's got to be mostly due to the inclusion of the SD.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Your fears are only valid if the standard model isn't the 32GB version. For all we know, they could just be introducing a cheaper version for more sales.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    The important thing to watch will be how well the new One supports the external SD card, especially after updates. We have seen many threads on this site about SD card problems on Samsung devices like the S4, including corrupted cards, lost files, inability to play some MP3 files, etc. If the new One has problems like that, then it will be taken to task, and rightly so. But if it doesn't have similar problems, and demonstrates excellent external SD support, then it will likely be praised, and rightly so.
    Almeuit and Aquila like this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by LindtChocolate View Post
    Your fears are only valid if the standard model isn't the 32GB version. For all we know, they could just be introducing a cheaper version for more sales.
    I actually welcome a 16GB model if it can be sold cheaper than the 32GB of last year. I have no need for 32GB of storage especially if I have an SD. I can't often afford to really pay the huge price increase for storage that a lot of companies charge.

    Posted from my Nexus 5
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The important thing to watch will be how well the new One supports the external SD card, especially after updates. We have seen many threads on this site about SD card problems on Samsung devices like the S4, including corrupted cards, lost files, inability to play some MP3 files, etc. If the new One has problems like that, then it will be taken to task, and rightly so. But if it doesn't have similar problems, and demonstrates excellent external SD support, then it will likely be praised, and rightly so.
    Very true.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  14. #14  
    BigDinCA's Avatar

    Posts
    939 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Well I'd consider myself am HTC fan. Honestly I was a bit worried when the One was announced and there was no sd card. What I found for myself was that 32gb of internal storage was plenty. I like using Google and Dropbox because I can access my files with any device.

    I'm surprised to see sd cards making a bit of a comeback but by no means am I against it. I just see me using it less
    I'm the same. It actually pushed me to Dropbox more, which I love now. But I really missed being able to pull everything off one device and have it on another within 20 seconds. I like to have backups of everything. Lots of them. Then again, I have 3 external drives that are nothing but redundancy backups of all my PC files as well, so maybe I have issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The important thing to watch will be how well the new One supports the external SD card, especially after updates. We have seen many threads on this site about SD card problems on Samsung devices like the S4, including corrupted cards, lost files, inability to play some MP3 files, etc...
    I never understood why people don't remove those damn cards when they perform updates. But they don't and that's a huge part of those issues. I bet instances of corrupted cards would be cut by 90% if people removed them during the update process.

    Quote Originally Posted by antw081 View Post
    Come on. I seriously doubt HTC (or any other Android OEM) has a 'philosophical' position on SD cards.

    HTC has been making phones with and without SD cards for years.
    I'm sure they would all love to get rid of them for good to save money, what with the added components and the royalties to Microsoft.
  15. #15  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,480 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,691 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    HTC is doing exactly what they did last year: sticking with Google. This year, Kit Kat reintroduced them and HTC is simply sticking with their guidelines.

    No doubt their implementation will be cleaner than Samsung's. That said, my fears of them releasing a 16 gb version seem to be true. That's a definite negative that's got to be mostly due to the inclusion of the SD.

    Posted via Android Central App
    This. I agree whole heartedly.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  16. #16  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,480 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,691 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The important thing to watch will be how well the new One supports the external SD card, especially after updates. We have seen many threads on this site about SD card problems on Samsung devices like the S4, including corrupted cards, lost files, inability to play some MP3 files, etc. If the new One has problems like that, then it will be taken to task, and rightly so. But if it doesn't have similar problems, and demonstrates excellent external SD support, then it will likely be praised, and rightly so.
    That's a different issue. Starting with Kit Kat won't allow that to happen unless Google decides to change they're mind about how they handle SD cards again.

    The issue was how Samsung chose to do SD cards (and others) vs how Google is doing them now.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  17. #17  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,480 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,691 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    I'm also not convinced that this device in a 16gb version will sell for less than the 32gb version did last year.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Ry likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Here's what I think may have happened.

    32GB with no expandable storage vs. the S4 with 16GB + expandable storage showed HTC that the "normals" still think 16GB is good enough.
  19. #19  
    Aquila's Avatar

    Posts
    11,430 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,665 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    I would say a bad decision is bad regardless of who does it and a good decision is good in the same line. Thinking something is a good idea or a bad idea ought to be based on the merits of the decision, not the company doing it. In my opinion, if an OEM has a decision at the same cost to them to make a 64GB (internal) device or a 16GB with an SD card, choosing the latter is the wrong decision, every time. Other devices, that eschew SD cards and pass those savings along to the customer (Motorola, Nexus, etc) are making a totally different decision.

    Including external SD card functionality alone is not a good or bad decision by itself, it has to do with how, why and at the cost of what else to determine the value, and then the value has to be valued by someone (the market or an individual consumer) to be judged as a positive or negative value add.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Here's what I think may have happened.

    32GB with no expandable storage vs. the S4 with 16GB + expandable storage showed HTC that the "normals" still think 16GB is good enough.
    Ugh, but I hate the normies. By now, 32gb should be the standard. It's been 16GB for like 4 years now! Obviously a way to increase their profit margins over time without ever changing components.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by LindtChocolate View Post
    Ugh, but I hate the normies. By now, 32gb should be the standard. It's been 16GB for like 4 years now! Obviously a way to increase their profit margins over time without ever changing components.
    The normals still get by on 16GB. OEMs should follow what the "normies" wants. This is where they make their money.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The normals still get by on 16GB. OEMs should follow what the "normies" wants. This is where they make their money.
    As long as they offer the rest of us an option for more...with a REASONABLE price differential.

    Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by KSDroid01 View Post
    As long as they offer the rest of us an option for more...with a REASONABLE price differential.

    Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One
    It's gonna be a $50 to $100 price difference. That's been deemed "normal".
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Based on the recent sale on eBay Verizon appears to be going the 32GB route w/ microSD. So the question is will AT&T or any others offer a 32/64GB option or is 16/32GB the only choices. The battery part is really what is holding me back. I dislike Sense UI more than TW UI but in both cases I usually add a different launcher.
  25. #25  
    ibcop's Avatar

    Posts
    3,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,835 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Kind of Ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    Based on the recent sale on eBay Verizon appears to be going the 32GB route w/ microSD. So the question is will AT&T or any others offer a 32/64GB option or is 16/32GB the only choices. The battery part is really what is holding me back. I dislike Sense UI more than TW UI but in both cases I usually add a different launcher.
    Wait until it drops and see how you like it....I'm hesitant too because of the non-removable battery but I may snatch up a 32gb version.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Game of Gravity - Gravity Master
    By Antonis Lambrou in forum Android Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 07:34 PM
  2. Is KitKat the end of FoxFi?
    By Rithisak in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
  4. Game of Balance - Balance Stack
    By Antonis Lambrou in forum Android Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM

Posting Permissions