Reddit thread states the M8 has always on listening like the Moto X.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My photos look great on screen too, so no problem there.
Yes, there can be better cameras, but for most people's use the One camera was just fine.
The problem was the purple tint, nothing more.

Nothing more? Try cropping a photo. There is no reason this should not have a minimum of 8 MP this time around.

To each his own. It will keep me from purchase possibly. For others? No big deal. There are always compromises.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You said that you would rather have a good 4 MP than a bad 8 MP. What higher megapixel shooter that is a "flagship" phone takes "bad" pictures for comparison? In a vacuum your statement sounds great. Until you realize that the competition takes better photos outside of possibly the Moto X, and were are talking last generation!

I did not say the One takes "bad" photos. I think the camera is however average, and if the quality and MP count is the same on this generation as the previous it borders on embarrassing. That to me will be a shame because otherwise it seems like a dynamite choice.

Also the "specs" do matter when you try to look at the photos on something other than a phone screen. Even a picture that looks great on the phone looks poor and pixelated/fuzzy when viewed on a larger screen. It's quite disappointing.

Hope I'm wrong about the camera.

So what if the quality is better but the MP count stays the same? Embarrassing? lol.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Nothing more? Try cropping a photo. There is no reason this should not have a minimum of 8 MP this time around.

To each his own. It will keep me from purchase possibly. For others? No big deal. There are always compromises.

I don't crop my phone camera pictures, I tend to take care of what I shoot and the quality gets worse always no matter the MP count.
The only phone that I could crop with was the Nokia Pureview 808. It doesn't matter if it's 4 or 8MP, these phone cameras lose much of their quality.
It's like zooming, I never zoom with any phone camera. Digital zoom is worthless. When I use my DSLR I tend to crop some images, but then again we are talking about 20+ MP and different lenses and sensors.

The One's camera was not the best one around, but it was more than decent for regular use. I've had it as my main camera this summer and the results were extremely good.
Yes it would be nice if it was 8MP or even 20MP but then the sensor would be huge.
Of course I'd like it to be improved. Let's see if the 2nd camera improves the overall image quality. Being satisfied with the first One, doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some improvement.
Having a "selfie" mode is not an improvement for me for example. But let's see the duo thing in action.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
So what if the quality is better but the MP count stays the same? Embarrassing? lol.

Seriously 4 MP, oops sorry "ultra pixels" is not acceptable for me. If it's good for you, good for you. I find it sad on a flagship phone to rival an iPhone.

You're probably one of those who will tell me I should carry a dedicated camera, lol.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Seriously 4 MP, oops sorry "ultra pixels" is not acceptable for me. If it's good for you, good for you. I find it sad on a flagship phone to rival an iPhone.

You're probably one of those who will tell me I should carry a dedicated camera, lol.

Same question.

Ry said:

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Same question.

I answered. Same answer, still. Not acceptable. Too grainy when enlarged to cropped. It seems they've went nearly all in with the phone, yet still managed to somewhat gimp the camera. Tis a shame.

If its good enough for you, well, good for you. I'm sure you will enjoy it. As I said before, all phones are a compromise. I will sacrifice something else to have a better camera.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and it can compete with the likes of the iphone in the camera dept.

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I might as well jump in on this one. I prefer a higher res image as well since I need to crop photos on occasion. As much as we'd all like to get up close to our subjects it doesn't always work out that way. The ability to crop is a must for me. We still don't know for sure what resolution the rear cameras will be. I'm just guessing that they'll be better than 5. I just can't see them putting anything less on the rear with 5 on the front. Total speculation on my part.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Does the dual camera add any value, can't it improve the overall image quality?

I did a little research on what HTC may be doing with the dual camera. The dual camera may give you 3X or up to 5X optical zoom. With that much optical zoom you don't need any more than 4 MP. Just pull out the camera zoom in to your shot, focus and snap picture. Results should be better than a high MP camera with no optical zoom. This is just one thing they may be doing with the dual cam but I have no idea what they did with it.

Here are a couple of links to other dual cameras:

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/press_releases/2014/assp_14_698.jsp

http://www.corephotonics.com/problem

Last edited: