Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Reddit thread states the M8 has always on listening like the Moto X.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on here so I thought I'd share this. It's in the first couple comments.

My initial HTC One M8 Impressions : Android

If this is true I'm much more interested in this phone now. What do you guys think? Believable?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Reddit thread states the M8 has always on listening like the Moto X.

Reddit isn't the most credible source. Lots of users doing it only for the karma, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    My thoughts? It's not true

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Default Re: Reddit thread states the M8 has always on listening like the Moto X.

"EDIT 1: Our rep didn't provide us with any internal specs, other than that the main camera is still a 4 ultra pixel. The phone didn't have any slowdown and felt fast while I was using it"
    Boo.

Dang. That will be a deal killer for me. No excuse for the same measly 4 "ultra" pixels. Not acceptable in my book. If true, would suck, as this is shaping up to be a killer phone.

Global Posts
    8,081 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye16qb View Post
    Dang. That will be a deal killer for me. No excuse for the same measly 4 "ultra" pixels. Not acceptable in my book. If true, would suck, as this is shaping up to be a killer phone.
    I don't think we've seen any leaks discussing the spec's of the camera(s). A post this morning on the blog sheds a little light as to how the camera(s) will function: Aussie leak seems to explain HTC One's new 'Duo Camera,' outs Sense 6.0 | Android Central
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I don't think we've seen any leaks discussing the spec's of the camera(s). A post this morning on the blog sheds a little light as to how the camera(s) will function: Aussie leak seems to explain HTC One's new 'Duo Camera,' outs Sense 6.0 | Android Central
    Nothing official, and I hope its not the case. Just seen a couple mentions now that the camera will remain at 4 ultra pixels. Not acceptable IMO. Hope that rumor is false.

ROM
    Stock

Nothing official, and I hope its not the case. Just seen a couple mentions now that the camera will remain at 4 ultra pixels. Not acceptable IMO. Hope that rumor is false.
    I'm fine w/ 4MP. It's a smaller file. But they really, REALLY, REALLY need to fix the over-processing the software was doing. That and the heat shield issue are my only two gripes. I know it isn't 13MP, but if they can clean up the 4MPs they have it could be great.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    I'm fine w/ 4MP. It's a smaller file. But they really, REALLY, REALLY need to fix the over-processing the software was doing. That and the heat shield issue are my only two gripes. I know it isn't 13MP, but if they can clean up the 4MPs they have it could be great.
    I don't need 13, but at least give me 8.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,297 Global Posts

I don't need 13, but at least give me 8.
    I'll take a good 4MP photo over a poor 8MP photo any day.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The competition usually has great 8MP cameras. iPhone 5S, Nexus 5, GS3 all have great cameras. Probably better than the One in most situations
    Hopefully they improve the sensor noticeably this time around

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,297 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ttrimmer View Post
    I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on here so I thought I'd share this. It's in the first couple comments.

My initial HTC One M8 Impressions : Android

If this is true I'm much more interested in this phone now. What do you guys think? Believable?
    I hope this person isn't confusing Google Now's "listening" feature with Motorola's Touchless Control.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I hope this person isn't confusing Google Now's "listening" feature with Motorola's Touchless Control.
    The way the Reddit post explains it, it sounds exactly like Motorola's Touchless Control. It was asked several times if the poster meant the screen was off and he said yes.

Posted via Android Central App

Ok. Your point?
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,297 Global Posts

Ok. Your point?
    Higher MP count doesn't automatically make for a better photo.

UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by ttrimmer View Post
    The way the Reddit post explains it, it sounds exactly like Motorola's Touchless Control. It was asked several times if the poster meant the screen was off and he said yes.

Reddit users lie a lot

Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Higher MP count doesn't automatically make for a better photo.

Which flagship cameras out there take "bad" photos? The One camera is average, 4 MP this generation is almost laughable

Global Posts
    8,653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Which flagship cameras out there take "bad" photos? The One camera is average, 4 MP this generation is almost laughable

The Moto X takes decent pictures at best, and that has 10MP. The One didn't take the best pictures, but they were pretty good.

Ry

Global Posts
    8,297 Global Posts

Are you saying the HTC One takes "bad" photos?

On average, it doesn't. It's quite good, in fact. Not the best. But they're good. It doesn't matter if they're only 4MP - unless you judge on specs alone.

Are you saying the HTC One takes "bad" photos?

On average, it doesn't. It's quite good, in fact. Not the best. But they're good. It doesn't matter if they're only 4MP - unless you judge on specs alone.

You said that you would rather have a good 4 MP than a bad 8 MP. What higher megapixel shooter that is a "flagship" phone takes "bad" pictures for comparison? In a vacuum your statement sounds great. Until you realize that the competition takes better photos outside of possibly the Moto X, and were are talking last generation!

I did not say the One takes "bad" photos. I think the camera is however average, and if the quality and MP count is the same on this generation as the previous it borders on embarrassing. That to me will be a shame because otherwise it seems like a dynamite choice.

Also the "specs" do matter when you try to look at the photos on something other than a phone screen. Even a picture that looks great on the phone looks poor and pixelated/fuzzy when viewed on a larger screen. It's quite disappointing.

Hope I'm wrong about the camera.

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

My photos look great on screen too, so no problem there.
    Yes, there can be better cameras, but for most people's use the One camera was just fine.
    The problem was the purple tint, nothing more.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    My photos look great on screen too, so no problem there.
    Yes, there can be better cameras, but for most people's use the One camera was just fine.
    The problem was the purple tint, nothing more.
    Nothing more? Try cropping a photo. There is no reason this should not have a minimum of 8 MP this time around.

To each his own. It will keep me from purchase possibly. For others? No big deal. There are always compromises.

Ry

Global Posts
    8,297 Global Posts

You said that you would rather have a good 4 MP than a bad 8 MP. What higher megapixel shooter that is a "flagship" phone takes "bad" pictures for comparison? In a vacuum your statement sounds great. Until you realize that the competition takes better photos outside of possibly the Moto X, and were are talking last generation!

I did not say the One takes "bad" photos. I think the camera is however average, and if the quality and MP count is the same on this generation as the previous it borders on embarrassing. That to me will be a shame because otherwise it seems like a dynamite choice.

Also the "specs" do matter when you try to look at the photos on something other than a phone screen. Even a picture that looks great on the phone looks poor and pixelated/fuzzy when viewed on a larger screen. It's quite disappointing.

Hope I'm wrong about the camera.
    So what if the quality is better but the MP count stays the same? Embarrassing? lol.

TheLibertarian likes this.

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Nothing more? Try cropping a photo. There is no reason this should not have a minimum of 8 MP this time around.

To each his own. It will keep me from purchase possibly. For others? No big deal. There are always compromises.

I don't crop my phone camera pictures, I tend to take care of what I shoot and the quality gets worse always no matter the MP count.
    The only phone that I could crop with was the Nokia Pureview 808. It doesn't matter if it's 4 or 8MP, these phone cameras lose much of their quality.
    It's like zooming, I never zoom with any phone camera. Digital zoom is worthless. When I use my DSLR I tend to crop some images, but then again we are talking about 20+ MP and different lenses and sensors.

The One's camera was not the best one around, but it was more than decent for regular use. I've had it as my main camera this summer and the results were extremely good.
    Yes it would be nice if it was 8MP or even 20MP but then the sensor would be huge.
    Of course I'd like it to be improved. Let's see if the 2nd camera improves the overall image quality. Being satisfied with the first One, doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some improvement.
    Having a "selfie" mode is not an improvement for me for example. But let's see the duo thing in action.

So what if the quality is better but the MP count stays the same? Embarrassing? lol.
    Seriously 4 MP, oops sorry "ultra pixels" is not acceptable for me. If it's good for you, good for you. I find it sad on a flagship phone to rival an iPhone.

You're probably one of those who will tell me I should carry a dedicated camera, lol.

Ry

Global Posts
    8,297 Global Posts

Seriously 4 MP, oops sorry "ultra pixels" is not acceptable for me. If it's good for you, good for you. I find it sad on a flagship phone to rival an iPhone.

You're probably one of those who will tell me I should carry a dedicated camera, lol.

Same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry

TheLibertarian likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast