The new HTC One (M8) vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

nedia_r

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I was looking at a comparison between the new HTC One and the Galaxy S5. They've got a mockup I guess and all the rumoured specs - here's the link.

Screenshot from the site above:
screensh.png

They list 10 reasons for the One and 15 for the S5. To me they seem evenly matched. Personally I would rather have the better camera and the better materials/build quality of the HTC One, without a doubt! But I'm a bit disappointed in a way.. I think considering Samsung's marketing budget HTC really had to do something impressive with their new flagship to compensate, but it just seems like a minor update, not that it's a bad update at all. But I think maybe not enough.

What do you guys think? Does that comparison seem accurate to you? Do you think HTC is on the way out? I hope not, they are my favourite OEM. The Hero was my first device and I've always had a soft spot for them since then!

Nedia

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: The new HTC One vs the Galaxy S5 - HTC on the way out?

I'd say you really need to go through that list though. First of all they seem to be user submitted.

On the S5's side there is one listed as "Dust and water resistant" then further down the list is "weather sealed". Those are the exact same thing. Plus one of the things is screen size. 5.1" to 5"? pointless comparison, they should be comparing screen quality not size.

The HTC One specs are not 100% confirmed yet so doing any comparison before the HTC One is officially announced is pointless. And i don't think this one comparison means HTC is on their way out at all.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I'd say you really need to go through that list though. First of all they seem to be user submitted.

On the S5's side there is one listed as "Dust and water resistant" then further down the list is "weather sealed". Those are the exact same thing. Plus one of the things is screen size. 5.1" to 5"? pointless comparison, they should be comparing screen quality not size.

The HTC One specs are not 100% confirmed yet so doing any comparison before the HTC One is officially announced is pointless. And i don't think this one comparison means HTC is on their way out at all.
Agreed. That list is ridiculous, to say the least. I would be surprised if they were not user-submitted.

Ignoring the fact that the 2014 HTC One's specs are not officially confirmed by the company, the list is outdated when you look at the more recent leaks.

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Don't be disappointed with one or the other until you've tried them out in person. A lot of these lists are just for generating web traffic. I for one will do my best to hold off until my local ATT has both to demo.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I am sorry but that list is WORTHLESS for both the HTC One and the S4. You can't have a comparison until you have something to compare and the HTC One has not been announced yet.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I was gonna say, they are just listing features of each phone, not really a true comparison

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

OP this link is absolute trash. 441ppi vs 432ppi? Seriously? The front camera alone is totally off. Expect a 5 MP front camera for the M8.

It's normal to compare both phones now but I would wait until the M8 keynote to make a decision.

You brought up the camera. If HTC continues with a 4 MP main shooter it will most likely have the same issue it had last year which is poor results for cropping or blowing up photos. You need to determine if that is important to you.

Personally I prefer the M8 because of BoomSound but you may not care about the speaker on a phone.

I do think HTC will be around 2 years from now. By then you'll probably want a new phone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

The OP simply posted a link to generate a conversation not an attack (IMO). So based on the conversation and that the site the OP used its is not the best comparison and many of those Pro's/Con's are subjective at best. .1" difference .1MP difference. Now as to the point of higher build quality and camera being an HTC advantage that is again subjective. I don't see the plastic phones as poor quality and I certainly didn't see last years HTC One as a great camera, quite the opposite and I had owned one.

I am still open about both phones and can cancel my accessories that are on pre-order anytime. But I don't see my getting the HTC One, I just don't like sealed batteries. I know whatever phone I get will be traded in by fall to get the next hot phone and again next spring for that hot phone. Simply trading every 6 months.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

OP this link is absolute trash. 441ppi vs 432ppi? Seriously? The front camera alone is totally off. Expect a 5 MP front camera for the M8.

It's normal to compare both phones now but I would wait until the M8 keynote to make a decision.

You brought up the camera. If HTC continues with a 4 MP main shooter it will most likely have the same issue it had last year which is poor results for cropping or blowing up photos. You need to determine if that is important to you.

Personally I prefer the M8 because of BoomSound but you may not care about the speaker on a phone.

I do think HTC will be around 2 years from now. By then you'll probably want a new phone.

If what i am reading on the dual camera is what HTC is doing then the camera should be great. the dual cam will give you 3X up to 5X optical zoom. If you have optical zoom a 4 mp camera will give you better results than a much higher mp cam. last years HTC and S4 had no optical zoom but both had 4X digital zoom. So with the HTC One M8 you can zoom in on the picture 3X before you get any lose. I like what HTC is doing. Instead of just adding more mp to the camera HTC, Corephotonics and toshiba are creating new cameras for smaller electronics to give the user a better experience.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

If what i am reading on the dual camera is what HTC is doing then the camera should be great. the dual cam will give you 3X up to 5X optical zoom. If you have optical zoom a 4 mp camera will give you better results than a much higher mp cam. last years HTC and S4 had no optical zoom but both had 4X digital zoom. So with the HTC One M8 you can zoom in on the picture 3X before you get any lose. I like what HTC is doing. Instead of just adding more mp to the camera HTC, Corephotonics and toshiba are creating new cameras for smaller electronics to give the user a better experience.

I like the idea, too. The first One took great pictures for everyday use as long as you weren't zooming in or cropping (or printing huge pics). I'm really curious as to how this will work in the GPE version, however. If we can still get some of the zooming capabilities in the GPE this will be an awesome phone on all fronts.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

Didn't mean to sound harsh. Point is that link isn't worth clicking.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless this still won't let you blow up photos if desired.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I think you're confusing "optical zoom" with "lossless zoom". I doubt there be any sort of optical zoom lens on the phone itself. If they're going to use both sensors to somehow make digital zoom lossless, then I would hope that when you're not zooming at all they can combine the images to increase the total resolution to something higher than if you use just one sensor. That's something I would be interested in honestly.

Didn't mean to sound harsh. Point is that link isn't worth clicking.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless this still won't let you blow up photos if desired.

This is in reference to your previous post and this one....is cropping/zooming/blowing up pics really something a lot of people do with camera phone pics? You're not the first person to say they do this (and the other says they do it often enough to base their decision on it somewhat). I know I don't do it at all, unless it's a profile pic for a social network. If I want to take a pic that I can crop and zoom I take out my RX100ii to shoot with. It's small enough that I have it with me 99% of the time. For the times I just want a quick pic the One and N5 have both been solid for me.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I think you're confusing "optical zoom" with "lossless zoom". I doubt there be any sort of optical zoom lens on the phone itself. If they're going to use both sensors to somehow make digital zoom lossless, then I would hope that when you're not zooming at all they can combine the images to increase the total resolution to something higher than if you use just one sensor. That's something I would be interested in honestly.

Some websites I have been reading state optical zoom on the Corephotonics dual cam while other sites state that the toshiba dual 5 mp cams will have an output of 13 mp image. While toshiba claims to have a non-mechanical digital focus function without mechanical structure, allowing high speed focus by calculating the depth to any objects and Corephotonics use a Magnetic Reluctance Actuators that excludes the use of permanent magnets, allows a very compact planar structure, consists of a small number of parts which can be assembled with broad manufacturing tolerances and allows faster actuation. So both systems claim high speed focus and toshiba claims 13 mp output while Corephotonics claim 3X and 5X optical zoom. IMO I think both systems are the future of cell phone cameras. I have no idea what system HTC is using or if they have a third option that we know nothing about but I do like what I am hearing. Here are some sites that you may like to look at:

The Solution | Corephotonics
Toshiba Ships Industry's First Dual Camera Module Able to Simultaneously Output Recorded Images and Depth Data
Toshiba announces dual camera module for smartphones ? NEW CAMERA
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_...l-camera-tech-will-change-smartphone-imaging/

Last edited:

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

This is in reference to your previous post and this one....is cropping/zooming/blowing up pics really something a lot of people do with camera phone pics? You're not the first person to say they do this (and the other says they do it often enough to base their decision on it somewhat). I know I don't do it at all, unless it's a profile pic for a social network. If I want to take a pic that I can crop and zoom I take out my RX100ii to shoot with. It's small enough that I have it with me 99% of the time. For the times I just want a quick pic the One and N5 have both been solid for me.

It is important to me. Yes. Would it stop me from buying the M8? No. I don't carry around a great point and shoot like you do all the time. You should be able to expect more from your smartphone camera than a Facebook photo in 2014. If HTC keeps the main camera at 4 MP this issue remains and it's a valid criticism.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

You shouldn't really compare phones until they are both released. Even better, don't do it until u have them both in hand.

And after that go with what you prefer, don't get what everyone says to get, get the one you like.

Me personally i will probably go with Samsung. But i will wait to see the M8, before i make my final judgment.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

While both phones look pretty nice I might wait it out to see what else comes out this year. I still love my current HTC One as it stands.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

You shouldn't really compare phones until they are both released. Even better, don't do it until u have them both in hand.

And after that go with what you prefer, don't get what everyone says to get, get the one you like.

Me personally i will probably go with Samsung. But i will wait to see the M8, before i make my final judgment.

We're on the exact same boat!! :cool:

What I'm thinking about doing is waiting till the Note 4 becomes available and then getting the M8 if its peaked my interest and trying it out for 30 days. If it doesn't suit my needs, I'll think about either the N4 or the S5.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys,

So I was looking at a comparison between the new HTC One and the Galaxy S5. They've got a mockup I guess and all the rumoured specs - here's the link.

Screenshot from the site above:
View attachment 107918

They list 10 reasons for the One and 15 for the S5. To me they seem evenly matched. Personally I would rather have the better camera and the better materials/build quality of the HTC One, without a doubt! But I'm a bit disappointed in a way.. I think considering Samsung's marketing budget HTC really had to do something impressive with their new flagship to compensate, but it just seems like a minor update, not that it's a bad update at all. But I think maybe not enough.

What do you guys think? Does that comparison seem accurate to you? Do you think HTC is on the way out? I hope not, they are my favourite OEM. The Hero was my first device and I've always had a soft spot for them since then!

Nedia

Camera is unsure yet. The one camera was no where near as good as the s4 camera except in low light which most people dont take the majority of their pics in low light. Plus ,the water resistance/proof will be a big marketing push to get many to buy the s5. Most normal consumers Dont care about "metal vs plastic" only the tech geeks get their feathers riled up for that and hence why the s4 outsold the htc one and its "better build quality"

Last edited:

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Camera is unsure yet. The one camera was no where bear as good as the s4 camera except in low light which most people Dont take majority of their pics in low light. Plus the water resistance/proof will be a big marketing push to get many to buy the s5. Most normal consumers Dont care about "metal vs plastic" only the tech geeks get their feathers riled up for that and hence why the s4 outsold the htc one and its "better build quality"

Well, to each their own, I guess...but I take that beautiful metal body out and admire it every time I use it, and I can't remember the last time I worried about my phone getting wet.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie