HTC One (M8): Let's hope BOOM-SOUND becomes more then just hype.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Iv hade (2) htc one's on VZ and in no way was it the loudest phone. clear maybe but loud not. lets hope HTC up's the amp n puts in better speakers. let the loudest most clearest actully become the loudest.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lets hope BOOM-SOUND becomes more then just hype.

Iv hade (2) htc one's on VZ and in no way was it the loudest phone. clear maybe but loud not. lets hope HTC up's the amp n puts in better speakers. let the loudest most clearest actully become the loudest.

What is the loudest phone then?

onthezone

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Its not the loudest but does sound the nicest, I will give you that but if you turn off the beats it does get louder which I assume you already know. I wouldn't call it a hype though. Right back to your point, yes I hope it gets louder though.

Posted via Android Central App

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I dont need it to be the loudest. There are plenty of BT speakers and other options for that.
What i like about it is the quality and clarity of having 1, front facing speakers, 2, stereo speakers.
When playing games, watching movies, listening to music, or what ever it still is the best.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

It isn't the loudest, but it never claimed to be the loudest phone. It just had the best quality.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I dont need it to be the loudest. There are plenty of BT speakers and other options for that.
What i like about it is the quality and clarity of having 1, front facing speakers, 2, stereo speakers.
When playing games, watching movies, listening to music, or what ever it still is the best.

Spot on.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

My point is with two speakers why not become what it should be.... the best clearest loudest cell in the world. and if you go back to the HTC ONES intruduction reviews by users it was hyped as the loudest....

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok...... What current smartphone has speakers that are clearer, richer, and louder than the HTC One? If there are none, then how were the claims and hype not justified?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One: Let's hope BOOM-SOUND becomes more then just hype.

Ok...... What current smartphone has speakers that are clearer, richer, and louder than the HTC One? If there are none, then how were the claims and hype not justified?

Can't speak for the OP but IMO the speakers are too loud for notifications and games without disturbing family members or coworkers and not loud enough to replace a decent BT speaker so BoomSound is little more than a hyped up gimmick. Probably why leaders like Apple and samsung don't seem to be rushing out to duplicate the gimmick.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Can't speak for the OP but IMO the speakers are too loud for notifications and games without disturbing family members or coworkers and not loud enough to replace a decent BT speaker so BoomSound is little more than a hyped up gimmick. Probably why leaders like Apple and samsung don't seem to be rushing out to duplicate the gimmick.

I hereby declare HTC to be the Grand Poobah of smartphone audio.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

As a consumer, one difficult thing about BoomSound is really listening to what it has to offer in a store. I remember when the M7 came out and I tried to check out the speakers but it was impossible to get a clear idea of what it really offered because of other sounds within the store. (Customers talking, people trying out other phones.) Because none of my friends or work colleagues use an M7 I still have never listened to the M7 speakers in a quiet room.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

I don't think the point is to replace a BT speaker. It's more a question of how good do you want your speakers to be when you can't or won't want to connect to an external speaker. I think calling dual stereo speakers a gimmick is pretty ridiculous.

I don't think anyone would be against Apple or Samsung making an effort to create better phone speakers. Whether that's a single firing one or dual.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I don't think the point is to replace a BT speaker. It's more a question of how good do you want your speakers to be when you can't or won't want to connect to an external speaker. I think calling dual stereo speakers a gimmick is pretty ridiculous.

I don't think anyone would be against Apple or Samsung making an effort to create better phone speakers. Whether that's a single firing one or dual.

I don't think gimmick means necessarily a bad thing. Each oem has their own gimmicks. I just don't see a huge market for BoomSound or others loud cell phone speakers. Just like two thirds of all android users out their phones in cases thereby negating the aluminum build, most folks listen to their phones with headphones thereby neutering BoomSound.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

I don't think gimmick means necessarily a bad thing. Each oem has their own gimmicks. I just don't see a huge market for BoomSound or others loud cell phone speakers. Just like two thirds of all android users out their phones in cases thereby negating the aluminum build, most folks listen to their phones with headphones thereby neutering BoomSound.

Again, I don't think it's a gimmick. Gimmick to me is some of the things TouchWiz offers like Eye Tracking. Having great sound emitting from your phone speakers is something anybody would appreciate it. Whether the consumer feels it's an important factor in their buying decision is something else entirely. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sony put dual stereo speakers on the Z2. If anything I think LG, Samsung, and Apple should follow suit. And I do think speaker performance in general is important to many consumers. Look at all the reviews of the Nexus 5 focusing on its poor speaker performance. I don't think you can make a case against great phone speakers.

I also don't think you can negate the importance of a phone's build. Otherwise why do I constantly read about how terrible the S3/S4 back covers were. Samsung addressed this with the Note 3 and potentially S5. But I'm also not saying metal is the solution. Personally kevlar is best IMO for the back of a phone, followed by something like the Nexus 5.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Where did you get your metrics from regarding case usage? BoomSound isn't about high decibels. If there isn't a market for loud external audio, then every manufacturer should 86 the external speaker(s) completely. Especially since most folks use headphones to listen to game audio, video playback (including ones recorded from the same mobile device), audio playback, and active phone calls.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Where did you get your metrics from regarding case usage? BoomSound isn't about high decibels. If there isn't a market for loud external audio, then every manufacturer should 86 the external speaker(s) completely. Especially since most folks use headphones to listen to game audio, video playback (including ones recorded from the same mobile device), audio playback, and active phone calls.

Google it or search the threads here. Statistics on case use have been posted here before

Why is it all or nothing with speakers? The speaker just has to be decent enough to use as a speaker phone and hear notifications. Once headphones are on most flagships are created equal.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Again, I don't think it's a gimmick. Gimmick to me is some of the things TouchWiz offers like Eye Tracking. Having great sound emitting from your phone speakers is something anybody would appreciate it. Whether the consumer feels it's an important factor in their buying decision is something else entirely. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sony put dual stereo speakers on the Z2. If anything I think LG, Samsung, and Apple should follow suit. And I do think speaker performance in general is important to many consumers. Look at all the reviews of the Nexus 5 focusing on its poor speaker performance. I don't think you can make a case against great phone speakers.

I also don't think you can negate the importance of a phone's build. Otherwise why do I constantly read about how terrible the S3/S4 back covers were. Samsung addressed this with the Note 3 and potentially S5. But I'm also not saying metal is the solution. Personally kevlar is best IMO for the back of a phone, followed by something like the Nexus 5.

Those are your opinions and you're entitled to them but the market says otherwise. You see complaints about samsungs plastic back covers because you hang out in these forums where the vast majority of users never venture. 100s of millions of galaxy owners don't seem to mind their plastic back covers. I have an N5 and a One and identical covers for both. It makes zero difference that the one is aluminum when the cases are on.

As for the speaker on the N5 the early builds had volume issues not quality. It was addressed in an update.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

Those are your opinions and you're entitled to them but the market says otherwise. You see complaints about samsungs plastic back covers because you hang out in these forums where the vast majority of users never venture. 100s of millions of galaxy owners don't seem to mind their plastic back covers. I have an N5 and a One and identical covers for both. It makes zero difference that the one is aluminum when the cases are on.

As for the speaker on the N5 the early builds had volume issues not quality. It was addressed in an update.

The market says otherwise? Because the S4 outsold the One so greatly?

If you don't think the plastic covers of the S3/S4 were a weakness of both devices, I don't know what to tell you. Has nothing to do with a forum community. A case makes the back of a phone irrelevant. Of course.

Speaker on the N5 is still mediocre even with the update.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Google it or search the threads here. Statistics on case use have been posted here before

Why is it all or nothing with speakers? The speaker just has to be decent enough to use as a speaker phone and hear notifications. Once headphones are on most flagships are created equal.

Again, how do you extrapolate this 66% usage of smartphone cases based on Google searches and threads? Does that 66% apply to all smartphone users? Out of that 66%, what percentage of time do they have protective/fashion cases on their smartphones? What do you define as "decent' audio? Where does the distinction between decent and loud begin? Does "decent" refer to the quality of the sound, or the decibel level? Where does the distinction between loud and gimmick begin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome