Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dr_Drache
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8): anybody else waiting for root?

as a rule of thumb i always wait for root to buy as i don't use stock phones. im skipping the s5 but the new htc one peaks my interest and i have a free next upgrade to use on at&t. i know it will be awhile for a bootloader unlock but root is a must for me. gonna be tough waiting it out but im curious if anybody is in the same boat as me? my nexus5 will tide me over until then.

i wonder how long it will be for root to be achieved? a week or two maybe?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-28-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Default Re: anybody else waiting for root?

I don't think it will be too much longer than a couple weeks for root to be achieved. Doesn't the SD card slot speed up the process?

Posted via Android Central App

just FYI,
    the people the brought you facepalm, rumrunner, and firewater s-off methods...
    have something waiting on the m8, as soon as we can get our devices...
    smooth3006 and ErnstMach like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

^ proof? if soo ill be buying on the 25th.

Default Re: HTC One: anybody else waiting for root?

I'm not familiar with how much AT&T locks stuff down, but if they don't pull a Verizon there's a good chance the M8 will be unlockable via the HTC utility from day 1. As for root I'd be really surprised if there isn't a root method in the first day or so let alone first week. This is a flagship device (and in your case on one of the biggest two networks) from a company that hasn't traditionally made rooting or unlocking too difficult.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    I'm not familiar with how much AT&T locks stuff down, but if they don't pull a Verizon there's a good chance the M8 will be unlockable via the HTC utility from day 1. As for root I'd be really surprised if there isn't a root method in the first day or so let alone first week. This is a flagship device (and in your case on one of the biggest two networks) from a company that hasn't traditionally made rooting or unlocking too difficult.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    At&t lock em down tight.

Global Posts
    422 Global Posts

I've been using the Samsung phones for awhile now. Had a Charge, then the S3 and now the S4. I'm tired of locked down phones and tired of Samsung having no clue as to design aesthetics or updating the looks of their phones (which weren't great to begin with). I'm looking at this new HTC One closely but if it is locked down with no bootloader unlock I may just go ahead and skip this phone also. If all the new android phones are going to be getting shipped with unlockable bootloaders then I may very well be open to switching to a different OS altogether.

I like the looks of this phone, the specs, while not bleeding edge, are definitely nice and I've had a number of HTC phones some years ago and I like what they do generally. I hope that they don't allow ATT and Verizon to completely dictate those locked bootloaders. I just switched from Verizon to ATT about three months ago and am happy with the service so far. TMO is not even usable where I live and Sprint in only marginal at best here so I'm stuck with either ATT or Verizon. I'm anxious to see what HTC hits the streets with and whether or not it is going to be a phone that I want. Just a couple more days, I guess, until we have that info.
    R

If I have offered any information to help you or of interest to you please hit the "Thanks" button.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    ^ proof? if soo ill be buying on the 25th.
    the proof is,
    the team did moonshine, facepalm, then rumrunner, then firewater...
    AND
    said the likelihood is very high that they will have something for the M8.
    believe me or not. it doesn't effect the truth of the matter, which is these people know what they are doing.