HTC One (M8): Will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
HTC One (M8): Will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader unlockable?

I currently own Samsung phones on those two carriers. They can't be unlocked, thanks to AT&T and Verizon. Samsung does sell the developer edition which isn't locked.

[post edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader unlockable?

I currently own Samsung phones on those two carriers. They can't be unlocked, thanks to AT&T and Verizon. Samsung does sell the developer edition which isn't locked.

I'm looking to get either the HTC One GPE or GS5 GPE. I don't want to have to rely on VZW for updates.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

I am buying it no matter what. They will find a way.

Posted via Android Central App

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I am buying it no matter what. They will find a way.

Well, with the newer versions they have not been able to unlock those bootloaders and there is no reason to assume that they will be able to unlock the bootloaders on KitKat. I can live with being able to root the phone since I can run Titanium, Root Explorer and Xposed with a rooted phone. However, if they kill the ability to even root the phone I will be moving on to something else, possibility even another OS. As it is, they are even removing SD support from Android, but both Samsung and HTC appear to be putting that support back in on their newest phones. The overall direction that Android is taking is removing the entire reason that I moved to Android in the first place, and that removes my reason for liking Android.

I'm looking to replace my current phone, but where I will end up is still open. If KitKat is rootable, I will likely stay with it this time, if not, then I have some decisions to make.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

the devs should be able to s-off the htc but the samsung one probably will be alot tougher to do. and no i wont buy any if i cant unlock it.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Yep, I'm gonna get it regardless. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and buy something else.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Yep, I'm gonna get it regardless. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and buy something else.

spoken like a true smartphone junkie! but im 99% sure this will get root and s-off.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Yes. Don't root so I don't care.

Posted via Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Well, with the newer versions they have not been able to unlock those bootloaders and there is no reason to assume that they will be able to unlock the bootloaders on KitKat. I can live with being able to root the phone since I can run Titanium, Root Explorer and Xposed with a rooted phone. However, if they kill the ability to even root the phone I will be moving on to something else, possibility even another OS. As it is, they are even removing SD support from Android, but both Samsung and HTC appear to be putting that support back in on their newest phones. The overall direction that Android is taking is removing the entire reason that I moved to Android in the first place, and that removes my reason for liking Android.

I'm looking to replace my current phone, but where I will end up is still open. If KitKat is rootable, I will likely stay with it this time, if not, then I have some decisions to make.

This is incorrect. SD card support is back officially in Kit Kat, it's just specific with what it can be used for.

Yes I would still buy it since I actually preferred the stock Sense experience on it versus AOSP.

I would consider a Developer Edition for the updates straight from HTC, though. That and no carrier bloat.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes I would still buy it since I actually preferred the stock Sense experience on it versus AOSP.

I would consider a Developer Edition for the updates straight from HTC, though. That and no carrier bloat.

I'm sort of in the same boat, but mainly because I would just prefer a Sense based ROM due to the software for the cameras. Of course it has yet to be seen how a GPe M8 will do with the dual cameras, but I would assume not as well as stock-Sense.

Just root access would be good enough for me - don't care too much about bootloader unlock or S-OFF anymore. Of course, if early batches of the M8 are able to get a bootloader unlock via HTC Dev, like last year's M7 situation, then I'll grab one and unlock it.

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

I'm probably just gonna throw the Google now experience launcher on it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

Doesn't really matter for me, cant root my phone now since I have to use Good Tech for work...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton