Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ibcop
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One (M8): Will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader unlockable?

    I currently own Samsung phones on those two carriers. They can't be unlocked, thanks to AT&T and Verizon. Samsung does sell the developer edition which isn't locked.

    [post edited by moderator]
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 11:59 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader unlockable?

    I currently own Samsung phones on those two carriers. They can't be unlocked, thanks to AT&T and Verizon. Samsung does sell the developer edition which isn't locked.
    I'm looking to get either the HTC One GPE or GS5 GPE. I don't want to have to rely on VZW for updates.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 11:59 PM.
  3. #3  

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    I am buying it no matter what. They will find a way.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    racedog's Avatar

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Insider View Post
    I am buying it no matter what. They will find a way.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Well, with the newer versions they have not been able to unlock those bootloaders and there is no reason to assume that they will be able to unlock the bootloaders on KitKat. I can live with being able to root the phone since I can run Titanium, Root Explorer and Xposed with a rooted phone. However, if they kill the ability to even root the phone I will be moving on to something else, possibility even another OS. As it is, they are even removing SD support from Android, but both Samsung and HTC appear to be putting that support back in on their newest phones. The overall direction that Android is taking is removing the entire reason that I moved to Android in the first place, and that removes my reason for liking Android.

    I'm looking to replace my current phone, but where I will end up is still open. If KitKat is rootable, I will likely stay with it this time, if not, then I have some decisions to make.
    R

    If I have offered any information to help you or of interest to you please hit the "Thanks" button.
  5. #5  

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    the devs should be able to s-off the htc but the samsung one probably will be alot tougher to do. and no i wont buy any if i cant unlock it.
  6. #6  
    ibcop's Avatar

    Posts
    2,080 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,703 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    Yep, I'm gonna get it regardless. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and buy something else.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

    "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
    smooth3006 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Yep, I'm gonna get it regardless. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and buy something else.
    spoken like a true smartphone junkie! but im 99% sure this will get root and s-off.
  8. #8  

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader unlockable?

    I currently own Samsung phones on those two carriers. They can't be unlocked, thanks to AT&T and Verizon. Samsung does sell the developer edition which isn't locked.
    Yes. Don't root so I don't care.

    Posted via Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,953 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,156 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    Quote Originally Posted by racedog View Post
    Well, with the newer versions they have not been able to unlock those bootloaders and there is no reason to assume that they will be able to unlock the bootloaders on KitKat. I can live with being able to root the phone since I can run Titanium, Root Explorer and Xposed with a rooted phone. However, if they kill the ability to even root the phone I will be moving on to something else, possibility even another OS. As it is, they are even removing SD support from Android, but both Samsung and HTC appear to be putting that support back in on their newest phones. The overall direction that Android is taking is removing the entire reason that I moved to Android in the first place, and that removes my reason for liking Android.

    I'm looking to replace my current phone, but where I will end up is still open. If KitKat is rootable, I will likely stay with it this time, if not, then I have some decisions to make.
    This is incorrect. SD card support is back officially in Kit Kat, it's just specific with what it can be used for.

    Yes I would still buy it since I actually preferred the stock Sense experience on it versus AOSP.

    I would consider a Developer Edition for the updates straight from HTC, though. That and no carrier bloat.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  10. #10  

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Yes I would still buy it since I actually preferred the stock Sense experience on it versus AOSP.

    I would consider a Developer Edition for the updates straight from HTC, though. That and no carrier bloat.
    I'm sort of in the same boat, but mainly because I would just prefer a Sense based ROM due to the software for the cameras. Of course it has yet to be seen how a GPe M8 will do with the dual cameras, but I would assume not as well as stock-Sense.

    Just root access would be good enough for me - don't care too much about bootloader unlock or S-OFF anymore. Of course, if early batches of the M8 are able to get a bootloader unlock via HTC Dev, like last year's M7 situation, then I'll grab one and unlock it.
  11. #11  

    Default re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    I'm probably just gonna throw the Google now experience launcher on it.

    Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app
  12. #12  
    pheatton's Avatar

    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.0.4

    Default Re: will you still buy it if AT&T or Verizon force HTC to make the bootloader air-tight?

    Doesn't really matter for me, cant root my phone now since I have to use Good Tech for work...

    Posted via Android Central App
    Phone - HTC One / Galaxy S3 w/CM10
    Tablet - Nexus 7 2013

Similar Threads

  1. Phone display to tv?
    By hell911 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-11-2014, 02:31 PM
  2. Cyanogen and the S Pen
    By giventofly462 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-29-2014, 10:17 PM
  3. Why didn't I receive the kit cat upgrade for note 3
    By balamurali in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions