HTC One (M8) will be Verizon Exclusive at launch?

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 will be Verizon Exclusive at launch?

I can only get it to sleep with a double tap, not wake. Probably because of the demo software. Also, that flip cover is the ****

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Just saw a video of double tap to wake and sleep. Thank goodness.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I can only get it to sleep with a double tap, not wake. Probably because of the demo software. Also, that flip cover is the ****

Was gonna ask you about that. It's the thing we've heard the least about other than the camera.

Can you describe it a bit?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

Basic matte plastic on the back, really nice rubberized feel for the front. It actually stays shut when you close it, unlike the Samsung ones. It's actually just a bunch of holes and the phone shows time, then at the bottom it shows a picture of the weather condition then flips to the temp

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Forrwal. People getting up in arms will be the same ones running to preorder once it opens on their carrier. It was all fine and dandy last year when it didn't launch on all carriers right away.

I wouldn't call it fine and dandy. It's not like the world ended or anything but a ton of people on Verizon were pissed, for good reason. They probably lost out on quite a few sales by doing that.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Any other cases besides the Light Brite case available at launch in store at Verizon?

Sent from my HTC One

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Basic matte plastic on the back, really nice rubberized feel for the front. It actually stays shut when you close it, unlike the Samsung ones. It's actually just a bunch of holes and the phone shows time, then at the bottom it shows a picture of the weather condition then flips to the temp

So it uses the phones display to do the lighting and doesn't contain any LED's of it's own? I wonder what kind of impact that will have on battery life.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I was assuming the lighted front with the case was only a brief display of the time not a constant. Just so you could check time without opening the case.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Why would it effect battery life any more or less then it does now when you cut you phone on to check the time or anything else??

That would depend on the implementation. How often does it light up? If you press the power button does it know the cover is there and only uses those sections of the display? Or does it know the cover is there, but still has to power up the entire display (it's LCD, so this is likely) to show the information? I don't like AMOLED displays all that much, but the ability to turn individual pixels on and off is a clear advantage when it comes to covers like this.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

That would depend on the implementation. How often does it light up? If you press the power button does it know the cover is there and only uses those sections of the display? Or does it know the cover is there, but still has to power up the entire display (it's LCD, so this is likely) to show the information? I don't like AMOLED displays all that much, but the ability to turn individual pixels on and off is a clear advantage when it comes to covers like this.

Yea but you asked how much of a impact it would have.... considering you turn the screen on and off now it would have zero impact over normal usage :)
Either way it looks pretty cool and i'll probably get one.

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

It stays on for your regular screen duration then fades out and only comes back when you hit power. The case also lets you answer calls and stuff while its shut, so it must allow you to manipulate the screen somehow even when closed. Changing the volume with the case shut is cool looking.

Other cases include a busload of otters both commuter and defender, a clear shell, the shell holster combo, a flip case with no holes in it, the HTC double dip, and the Double Cover and Watson case from Incipio. There will also be tempered glass screen protectors as well as your standard ones.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Yea but you asked how much of a impact it would have.... considering you turn the screen on and off now it would have zero impact over normal usage :)
Either way it looks pretty cool and i'll probably get one.

We're also assuming that the case turns on and off. What if it's on all the time?

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Oh!!!! I never thought of the case having "lights" ...... I just it was a plastic cover with holes in it, I thought that's what the guy said.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Oh!!!! I never thought of the case having "lights" ...... I just it was a plastic cover with holes in it, I thought that's what the guy said.

It could be. I'm not sure it's been made clear yet. If the case has its own lights then battery impact will be next to nothing. If it doesn't and instead relies on the display of the device then it's just a cool case that doesn't really help with battery life IMO.

Again, will need to see in practice to know for sure, and either way I still want one since I doubt it's worse on battery life than just powering the screen on to see time and notifications.