HTC One (M8) will be Verizon Exclusive at launch?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I know its just a rumor, but its the news thats going around

http://phandroid.com/2014/03/23/htc-one-2014-to-be-a-verizon-wireless-exclusive-at-launch-rumor/

"According to sources from our friends at HTC Source, it?s being said that Verizon will have a 2-week exclusive on HTC?s latest flagship before it?s available from other carriers. Probably not the news most of you wanted to hear unless you?re a Verizon Wireless subscriber, but we assume HTC did what they had to do to pay the bills."

Last edited by a moderator:

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 will be Verizon Exclusive at launch?

As I said on the other thread, if it is announced as an exclusive for Verizon for any amount of time then I will forever leave HTC products. An announced exclusive for a flagship phone that is meant to be on as many carriers as it can be? Are you serious? That is so pathetic. At least lie to me and say the other carriers are just holding off or something, not that Verizon gets first dibs just because.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I agree I hate when companies do this for flagship phones...an exclusive color is ok, but the phone itself would **** me off
And not to beat on Verizon..but of all the carriers...why Verizon???

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

As I said on the other thread, if it is announced as an exclusive for Verizon for any amount of time then I will forever leave HTC products. An announced exclusive for a flagship phone that is meant to be on as many carriers as it can be? Are you serious? That is so pathetic. At least lie to me and say the other carriers are just holding off or something, not that Verizon gets first dibs just because.
spot on and many others agree, even on xda. i cant support a dying company who doesn't even want to try to help themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I agree I hate when companies do this for flagship phones...an exclusive color is ok, but the phone itself would **** me off

didn't you buy a s5? are you rubbing this in? ;)

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I could say the same thing for all those AT&T exclusives over the years, but don't mind this Verizon one since they're my carrier! :D

Of course, any exclusivity for a phone just sucks and they should be made widely available if the manufacturer is capable.

griff7774

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

It's just two weeks...... Seriously?

Posted via Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

It's just two weeks...... Seriously?

Forrwal. People getting up in arms will be the same ones running to preorder once it opens on their carrier. It was all fine and dandy last year when it didn't launch on all carriers right away.

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site

Just a thought, but AT&T is giving away a a all New HTC one until the 25th so I have hope that if the phone is released on the 25 that it will be for sale on AT&T too.

dabunique

May 26, 2013
Visit site

Just a thought, but AT&T is giving away a a all New HTC one until the 25th so I have hope that if the phone is released on the 25 that it will be for sale on AT&T too.

exactly what I thought ... y give away phones 5 days before and make people wait 2 weeks lol

antheauxny

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site

If its true its probably because Verizon was late to the game by months with the original One.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Just remember. It's a rumor.

I remember a certain Cowboy saying something in another thread that the only people that know anything are the ones that aren't saying anything.

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site

I think I'm just going to pick up a Nexus 5. I have to have a new phone this next week and VZW isn't an option. I was on the fence between this and the N5. I guess they are making the decision for me. We'll see I guess.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

It wouldn't be the first time that carriers didn't all release the same phone on the same date. It seems like the same thing happened with the 2013 HTC One, especially with Verizon lagging by several months. If this is the case, HTC probably got a very nice payment from Verizon to hold the exclusivity, even if it's only two weeks. And again, it's just two weeks. If you can't wait that long, you probably weren't all that interested in the phone anyway.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

It wouldn't be the first time that carriers didn't all release the same phone on the same date. It seems like the same thing happened with the 2013 HTC One, especially with Verizon lagging by several months. If this is the case, HTC probably got a very nice payment from Verizon to hold the exclusivity, even if it's only two weeks. And again, it's just two weeks. If you can't wait that long, you probably weren't all that interested in the phone anyway.

True, but it's just one side of the story. The other side, like some others have mentioned, is that it's a questionable move by HTC.

We don't know how much Verizon paid for exclusivity, but with HTC in the state that it is, was it really worth it for them to launch only on Verizon for two weeks and miss out on sales from other carriers in that time frame?

Releasing it even closer to the S5 could be bad, but, like you said, if someone was going to get something else over the M8 because of two weeks (which is a fairly normal announcement-to-availability time frame** when you look at other phone launches), they probably were not sold on it in the first place.

** Assuming availability on VZW on 25th

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

True, but it's just one side of the story. The other side, like some others have mentioned, is that it's a questionable move by HTC.

We don't know how much Verizon paid for exclusivity, but with HTC in the state that it is, was it really worth it for them to launch only on Verizon for two weeks and miss out on sales from other carriers in that time frame?

Releasing it even closer to the S5 could be bad, but, like you said, if someone was going to get something else over the M8 because of two weeks (which is a fairly normal announcement-to-availability time frame** when you look at other phone launches), they probably were not sold on it in the first place.

** Assuming availability on VZW on 25th

Honestly, if they can pull of a same day release for any carrier, I will be thoroughly impressed, even if it's not my carrier of choice. Such a feat would require substantial coordination and will show that HTC is "trying" even if it's a single-carrier exclusivity for a week or two. Though of course, all of this is total speculation, and should be taken with less than a grain of salt until tomorrow at the announcement. :)

TsuaSai

May 22, 2012
Visit site

I think that is mostly correct in if someone can't wait two weeks they didn't want it that bad. However there are a few people out there that might be in real need of a phone. So they have already been waiting for the 25th and just can't or don't want to wait any longer. I know cause at one point a while back I was trying to wait for the new iphone to come out. I was going with out a phone all together cause of water damage. So plan was to go 30 days or so without. A week in and I couldn't take it anymore. I am sure there aren't that many people out there like that. So losing a few phone sales they might have had might not hurt that much. But they are sure to lose some if this is true.

I am currently debating between the s5 and the one. I was ready to jump on the one just out of excitement and wanting something new. Having to wait another two weeks will just make it harder to choose between the two. I am sure I am not the only one that is that way even if its not the most logical reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11