New HTC One (M8) hands-on in German

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Personally i like the camera on my M7. The M8 (from what I've seen) looks to be an improvement but that number "4" it's just so low and doesn't sound as if they're trying to improve as much as others.

I'll reserve judgement till i can get my hands on it though

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what the photography word would be but those images look blurry and off to me. In each one I keep looking to the left and right and the buildings look really blurry and the color is weird.
Links to save Twitter time.

https://www.pdaplaza.ca/product_images/uploaded_images/imag0022-1-.jpg
https://www.pdaplaza.ca/product_images/uploaded_images/imag0020-1-.jpg
https://www.pdaplaza.ca/product_images/uploaded_images/imag0021-1-.jpg

For some reason they're opening larger using your links than they were before. I see what you're talking about on the edges, especially the lower left of them. I can't remember the term either, but it's the lens doing it (maybe too wide, maybe just a device issue, hard to say for sure really). If this is widespread (or is just what it is and can't be fixed) I'm not sure I like it. It will throw a kink in my "speed is king as long as the image isn't terrible" mindset lol.

I can't wait for more sample pics from others that get the device.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so the more I look at those pics the more unhappy I am with them. This makes my decision more difficult. If this is typical of the device (and it may not be) then I have to choose between this lens blur on every single pic or sometimes not getting my pic at all because of the focus issues on the S5.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what the photography word would be but those images look blurry and off to me. In each one I keep looking to the left and right and the buildings look really blurry and the color is weird.

Am I the only one not seeing the blurriness? I see it kinda in the bottom left and top right of the third picture, but they look fine on my nexus 7 (2013) screen If that makes any difference. That being said, I'm not much of a shutterbug lol.

Posted via Android Central App

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Am I the only one not seeing the blurriness? I see it kinda in the bottom left and top right of the third picture, but they look fine on my nexus 7 (2013) screen If that makes any difference. That being said, I'm not much of a shutterbug lol.

It might just be me since I feel like I pick everything apart. But the more I look at them the worst they appear. In the first one the building the camera is focused on looks fine, but the building to the left looks like something went wrong, the brick looks okay but the balconies and windows look blurry and out of color. Second picture looks worst because about the first green generator in everything on that left side looks blurry and the balconies again look washed out. Third picture is easily noticeable because there's something going on with the rock to the immediate right, it looks washed out color wise and blurry.

Going to take them with a grain of salt until a professional reviewer can look at the phone, but hopefully that's just software issues.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
It might just be me since I feel like I pick everything apart. But the more I look at them the worst they appear. In the first one the building the camera is focused on looks fine, but the building to the left looks like something went wrong, the brick looks okay but the balconies and windows look blurry and out of color. Second picture looks worst because about the first green generator in everything on that left side looks blurry and the balconies again look washed out. Third picture is easily noticeable because there's something going on with the rock to the immediate right, it looks washed out color wise and blurry.

Going to take them with a grain of salt until a professional reviewer can look at the phone, but hopefully that's just software issues.

Now that you mention those areas, I can see the blurriness better. I'm inclined to believe (hoping that) that these were taken with pre-release hardware/software. The pictures in the video review posted earlier today look much better though, and the reviewer said that the camera was a huge selling point and much improved from the M7.

Zacharyw70

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Having watched the comparison video of the M7/M8 it looks like that blurriness is a software thing. From what it looked like the ability to refocus shots after you take them made the focus look clear while everything not in the focused image look blurry. Seems like it makes more sense now I just wonder where the discoloration came from.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Late to the party but the Google translate cc on that video was hilarious. It apparently has a sassy Micro SD card

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Links are not working plz fix

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok so the more I look at those pics the more unhappy I am with them. This makes my decision more difficult. If this is typical of the device (and it may not be) then I have to choose between this lens blur on every single pic or sometimes not getting my pic at all because of the focus issues on the S5.

What focus issues on the S5?

Podolsky

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Now I will wait for official announcement to chose whether taking this phone or keeping my nexus 5

Posted from my new Nexus 5

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Links are not working plz fix

They were probably taken down.

What focus issues on the S5?

I checked one out in Best Buy and out of 15 pictures 4 were blurry. I tried to email them to myself but the gmail account they had logged in was messed up.

There were times when the phone would capture a picture before it was done focusing, other times when it would hunt for up to five seconds for focus, and one time it just never found focus. Mind you, this was inside Best Buy which is very well lit.

My process was, point the phone and hit the shutter button. Not in a fast way, I probably gave the phone 3-4 seconds between shots. The idea was for it to need to refocus each time, because those are my typical shooting conditions.

There's also a long (~5 second) processing time from when you capture images for Dynamic Focus and when you can actually manipulate the shot. Without knowing how well the M8 does this I can't say whether that's good or bad, but felt it was worth pointing out. I would imagine that since you're probably going to be shooting a cooperative subject this won't be an issue if you need to take multiples. To be more clear, the images themselves were captured very quickly in this mode, it was just the processing time that was longer than I thought it would be.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Do you consider the camera on the device to be a major selling point? Will you specifically skip over a device if the camera isnt up to par with your needs but the rest of the device is.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes. That and the display.

The issues you mentioned could be associated with pre-release software but then it beats me why Samsung would put devices on display with software that isn't finalized.

I have high hopes for the S5 as pretty much every Samsung device has been plagued with slow shutter speed and slow focus times, the S5 is supposed to change this. Out of the 2000 or so images I have taken with my S4, a good 200 of them have some motion lag in the image because of the slow shutter speed.
It is virtually impossible to take a crisp image of a moving pet/person.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The issues you mentioned could be associated with pre-release software but then it beats me why Samsung would put devices on display with software that isn't finalized.

I have high hopes for the S5 as pretty much every Samsung device has been plagued with slow shutter speed and slow focus times, the S5 is supposed to change this. Out of the 2000 or so images I have taken with my S4, a good 200 of them have some motion lag in the image because of the slow shutter speed.
It is virtually impossible to take a crisp image of a moving pet/person.

I have the exact same hopes as you. So far, it behaves exactly like every other Samsung device I've used and/or spent any amount of time with.

Yes, it could just be the software, and if I would have thought about I would've taken a pic of the about screen. I'm willing to bet it's final.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same hopes as you. So far, it behaves exactly like every other Samsung device I've used and/or spent any amount of time with.

Yes, it could just be the software, and if I would have thought about I would've taken a pic of the about screen. I'm willing to bet it's final.

Well if this turns out to be the case with the S5 aswell, Samsung is going to get a big bite in the rear from angry consumers. If you look at any of promo videos for the S5, they advertise the super fast auto focus and then proceed to show the S5 taking images of moving puppies and people on swing sets.

This wasn't an issue with the S4 as Samsung never advertised the auto focus as being super quick or having a shutter speed capable of catching moving subjects.