HTC One (M8) or Samsung Galaxy S5?

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Overall, I'd take the S5.

Yes looks wise the m8 wins, hands down. However, this is a pretty novelty-based criteria. One way or another you will get used to the phone's looks and disregard it. You won't, months after owning it, be saying OH MAN I CANT PUT IT DOWN ITS SO SHINY!!!. S5 has a superior camera, and battery which can be removed and changed if wanted.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try the M8 as I've had the S2, S3, S4, N2 and N3 - all of them have pros and cons. I could care less if the device is made of plastic or metal but I absolutely hate to cup the rear speaker in order to hear stuff. Since I have the S4 now, I can't see going to the S5 for the upgraded camera. All the heartbeat and other crap they added I wouldn't use. If I don't like the M8, I'll sell it and get something else. Too bad the S5 didn't have front facing speakers.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Another thing going for the s5 is the smaller size and bigger screen which is even better with the fact it has buttons on part of the bezel and none on the screen, i know on my nexus 4 the buttons take the 4.7 inches down to 4.55

But for me unless the One performs way better than the S5 ill go with the S5 for the waterproofing.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm just gonna say, I personally want the One for the looks. Its a bonus that it will clearly fit my needs with ease thanks to its flagship specs. Any flagship today will be able to do whatever its user asks of it, but the One does it with flair and panache. Just my two cents

Posted via Android Central App

anon(5488851)

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I like both phones honestly. I think you will have a smoother experience with the M8 and a more mature and intuitive looking UI. Whereas the S5 has a better camera and overall better package. I like what HTC is doing and I think you owe it to yourself to play with both devices in the store before making your purchase. Take a few photos, browse the web etc. At the end of the day you can always return one within the timeframe and get the other. If youre not in the market for something right now, maybe wait for the newer moto x or lg g3.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I like both the S5 and the Htc One (M8) but it has to be and is argued plastic or metal builds?

There are plus and negatives to both add in user preference and you will never get a definitive all out winner.

In terms of Htc with this iteration hmmm will it be enough to set the almost failing company to an improved and more focused one? and lift them up for future products?

They most certainly upped the specs and its now inline with today's flagships, however is there any unique selling points (other than the build?).

The answer is No and again i believe htc are relying to heavily on that (the build). Where other companies are adding in their own selling points and thus trying to pursued you into buying their product this is where htc is missing the point.

They could have opted to go all out for that 2k screen, iris scanning tech, or just offering something new in terms of battery advancements perhaps.

But they do have their own camera features eg zoe and that front facing boomsound speakers.

I think Htc covers the effective and functional very well and it is very stylish.

I think its a great product maybe not what all were perhaps expecting but i do hope this is enough for htc.

With Strong Competition from Samsung with the S5 and Sony with the Z2 and the G3 coming up and the iphone 6, i cant help but suspect it wont.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think both phones are interesting. It seems like the camera isn't that great in the One and I take a lot of photos. I also like that samsung still does removable batteries. I'll wait until I have held both phones before I buy but right now I guess I'm leaning towards the s5.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
For all the talk of how amazing the build is, it's oddly shaped with it's height. Its also pretty slippery. So other than the fact that it looks good, it's not exactly the most functional. All is forgiven because it's metal, though, which is pretty amusing.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Then again to tackle my own point is that Htc has made that quick release so right now its up against the S5 and Z2 hmm still very tough.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
They most certainly upped the specs and its now inline with today's flagships, however is there any unique selling points (other than the build?).

Uh, you answered your own question with:

But they do have their own camera features eg zoe and that front facing boomsound speakers.

Along with blinkfeed, duo camera, ultrapixel camera, 5mp front facing camera for selfies (like it or not, it would be used a lot) aside from the Sense-specific features.... they have a pretty solid feature-set. The metallic build is just another one of those features.

or just offering something new in terms of battery advancements perhaps.

Uh....they did do that. They have an extreme power saving mode that will let the phone last an extra 15 hours when it's down to 5% battery life.

Have you even seen the feature set of the One? Sounds like a really uninformed post.

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Get the S5. HTC sucks. Metal sucks. Camera major sucks. HTC sucks. Bezel sucks. Samsung is Android. Only upgrade from the M7 is the Flip Case with the holes in it. The M8 is the same as the M7... Just more metal, which is negated since a PLASTIC case will be slapped on it.

Ok, Mr. Yarrel.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Uh, you answered your own question with:

Along with blinkfeed, duo camera, ultrapixel camera, 5mp front facing camera for selfies (like it or not, it would be used a lot) aside from the Sense-specific features.... they have a pretty solid feature-set. The metallic build is just another one of those features.

Uh....they did do that. They have an extreme power saving mode that will let the phone last an extra 15 hours when it's down to 5% battery life.

Have you even seen the feature set of the One? Sounds like a really uninformed post.

The only decent selling points this phone has:

1. The Slippery Metal Build, which some prefer the looks of
2. The 5MP FFC.

Everything else is matched or exceeded by the S5, and the Build Quality is highly personal so we cannot say for a fact that is an objective advantage (it has some serious disadvantages as well).

BlinkFeed exists. So does My Magazine, which does basically the same thing.

The only thing Innovative about UltraPixels was the name. Cause it wasn't all that innovative. They just put a larger sensor with larger pixels and lower resolution in the device and gave it a cute moniker. Samsung's ISOCELL tech is innovative. UltraPixels were not innovative.

Duo Camera doesn't accomplish anything you can't do on a Samsung device with one camera sensor.

Samsung has more software features than Sense, including "Solid" features. They have more, better, and more innovative hardware (and hardware capabilities, like 4K recording - you can't do that with a 4.1MP camera sensor) in their devices.

This HTC One is the most 'S' release of all the flagship refreshes we've seen thus far. There is less reason to move to this phone from the One than to the S5 from the S4. What an underwhelming device.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
This HTC One is the most 'S' release of all the flagship refreshes we've seen thus far. There is less reason to move to this phone from the One than to the S5 from the S4. What an underwhelming device.

Why do people not get this whole 2 year contract concept yet!?! The M8 is not intended to draw M7 users, it is intended to draw those (the vast majority of customers) upgrading from smart phones they got 2 years ago when they upgraded last or signed up. Nobody has had the M7 for two years, so HTC has obviously realised that they don't really need to target current M7 users until the M9 is made, and made the M8 just a refresh of the M7. Same thing as coming from the S4 to the S5 as you mentioned.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The only decent selling points this phone has:

1. The Slippery Metal Build, which some prefer the looks of
2. The 5MP FFC.

Everything else is matched or exceeded by the S5, and the Build Quality is highly personal so we cannot say for a fact that is an objective advantage (it has some serious disadvantages as well).

BlinkFeed exists. So does My Magazine, which does basically the same thing.

The only thing Innovative about UltraPixels was the name. Cause it wasn't all that innovative. They just put a larger sensor with larger pixels and lower resolution in the device and gave it a cute moniker. Samsung's ISOCELL tech is innovative. UltraPixels were not innovative.

Duo Camera doesn't accomplish anything you can't do on a Samsung device with one camera sensor.

Samsung has more software features than Sense, including "Solid" features. They have more, better, and more innovative hardware (and hardware capabilities, like 4K recording - you can't do that with a 4.1MP camera sensor) in their devices.

Yeah...but OMG METAL though. Isn't that the reason to buy this phone? The word "metal" is becoming a buzzword like "retina", but only amongst the tech world who write reviews for these things. Consumers don't seem to care too much as evidenced by the underwhelming sales figures from last year. That's probably because while it can look attractive and feel premium, it's actually a pretty flawed design as evidenced by the slippery back and awkward height for a 5" phone.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...but OMG METAL though. Isn't that the reason to buy this phone? The word "metal" is becoming a buzzword like "retina", but only amongst the tech world who write reviews for these things. Consumers don't seem to care too much as evidenced by the underwhelming sales figures from last year. That's probably because while it can look attractive and feel premium, it's actually a pretty flawed design as evidenced by the slippery back and awkward height for a 5" phone.

In defence of HTC, underwhelming sales numbers were still the best sales for a phone model they've ever had. But alas, they were indeed not enough

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Why do people not get this whole 2 year contract concept yet!?! The M8 is not intended to draw M7 users, it is intended to draw those (the vast majority of customers) upgrading from smart phones they got 2 years ago when they upgraded last or signed up. Nobody has had the M7 for two years, so HTC has obviously realised that they don't really need to target current M7 users until the M9 is made, and made the M8 just a refresh of the M7. Same thing as coming from the S4 to the S5 as you mentioned.

The S5 is a massive upgrade for the S4. Compared to this. All this did was validate Samsung's handset IMO. I like how you talk as if I don't understand contracts though. Lol. Do you seriously think a ton of S3 users are gonna jump to this phone? It's not like the One X or One were top sellers so what is your point and what do they plan to accomplish?

You can get a One much cheaper than this phone and this is barely an upgrade from that. BARELY.

HTC hasn't been upgrading people at the rate Samsung is, so they need to pull users from other OEMs older flagship and I don't see them doing much of that with this phone.

BlackBerry and Nokia are in similar positions.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

And people were complaining about the size of the S5.

Looking back at the threads leading up to this launch, it's pure comedy how desperate some people seem to justify the clearly flawed design and technological decisions HTC has made.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
In defence of HTC, underwhelming sales numbers were still the best sales for a phone model they've ever had. But alas, they were indeed not enough

They want to compete with Samsung as evidenced by their comments on Twitter during the S5 event. They managed not to "One Up" anything in all reality. I'm actually embarrassed for them after today, but they clearly are proud of their metal design and their Boomsound speakers. Not that either are bad, per say, but they aren't nearly the game changers that HTC claims them to be.

They posted something on Twitter tonight stating that people should "ask the Internet" about the M8 in reference to the positive reviews. This device is aimed directly at the reviewers. It was last year, too. It's fairly easy to see what the reviewers want in a phone based on how they look at certain devices. How many people clamored for a metal S5? They went against it because what tech sites love and what millions of consumers love are two totally different things.

I had hopes for this phone because competition is crucial to keeping people on their toes and bringing their best. It's quite the let down and Samsung has zero to worry about from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34