HTC One (M8) or Samsung Galaxy S5?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Are either of these phones better than the lg2?

Posted via Android Central App

I was talking with a phone rep at Costco, and he said my S4 was better than the LG G2, so I'm guessing the S5 and M8 would be better than the G2 as well

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen it expressed as time yet, but its larger capacity with a much, much, much more efficient processor.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

Here is the review of the S5 battery from a russian reviewer...it has gotten 12 hrs screen time

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/samsung-galaxy-s5.shtml#s6

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I was talking with a phone rep at Costco, and he said my S4 was better than the LG G2, so I'm guessing the S5 and M8 would be better than the G2 as well

S4 better than the LG? I don't think so...

Speaking objectively, the LG G2 rolls the S4 in every way, from screen to camera and battery life. The one minus is that it doesn't have a SD card slot.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are either of these phones better than the lg2?

They both have some things they're better at, but all three and a few other devices are in the same league. Neither device departed much from their own early 2013 devices other than the bump up to the general specs and battery life expectations of their competition. Both are VERY solid in their own right, but depending on carrier and use case, for many people the G2, Droid Maxx, Moto X, Nexus 5, Sony Z2, iPhone 5s or others may still make sense. The One M8 and Galaxy S5 are both easily top 10 list devices.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'd love debating that one haha. If the S4 were indeed better than the G2, yes that would logically follow. I think he'd be hard pressed to prove that case. :p The S4 crowd likes the spec sheet and the G2 nailed the spec sheet; it's better or equal to the S4 and Nexus 5 on just about every line item.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd love debating that one haha. If the S4 were indeed better than the G2, yes that would logically follow. I think he'd be hard pressed to prove that case. :p The S4 crowd likes the spec sheet and the G2 nailed the spec sheet; it's better or equal to the S4 and Nexus 5 on just about every line item.

One thing that I will grant the S4 over the G2 is the UI. Touchwiz, while also a little crazy, seems much more navigable than the redundant, feature-in-every-direction style of the LG skin.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The battery life on the S4 sucks, it only gets about 4 hrs of screen time (in my experience)
The S5 battery has tested to get up to 12 hours of screen time (depends on the use), and thats without the extreme power saving mode

I hope users aren't expecting 12 hours + based on that test. That's with the network off, sound off, and essentially they just have the screen on (at full brightness). Get the LTE fired up and start using it and we'll get a different number. Based on their test with the S4 (9.5 hours) and their test with the S5 (12 hours) they're essentially saying (12-9.5)/9.5 = 26% better screen on time than the S4 (without factoring in power savings) so if your 4 hours is typical, we should expect 5 hours. If 6 hours is typical, 7.5, etc. In either case, that's not slouching and the S801 will be MUCH better at handling idle time than the S600 was, so I'd fully expect most users to be able to get through their day with ease on the S5.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I hope users aren't expecting 12 hours + based on that test. That's with the network off, sound off, and essentially they just have the screen on (at full brightness). Get the LTE fired up and start using it and we'll get a different number. Based on their test with the S4 (9.5 hours) and their test with the S5 (12 hours) they're essentially saying (12-9.5)/9.5 = 26% better screen on time than the S4 (without factoring in power savings) so if your 4 hours is typical, we should expect 5 hours. If 6 hours is typical, 7.5, etc. In either case, that's not slouching and the S801 will be MUCH better at handling idle time than the S600 was, so I'd fully expect most users to be able to get through their day with ease on the S5.

Yup I figured it was without the features on, but its still pretty impressive compared to the S4
Battery is one of the biggest reasons Im switching to the S5 and I know I will be happy with it

Litlprince2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'd take the M8, I mean come on its metal gs5 is plastic. m8 looks better too. GS5 has huge bezels.

Hold on a sec... I know ur not going on about the bezel of the GS5... Look at the M8... See that giant thing below the screen not doing anything but telling you who made it..

As for being metal... no big deal.. Otterbox no matter which one i pick so..... yeah....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Please keep things civil.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One or Galaxy s5

My one is coming today. I am going to try it out over the next week and see if I can live with the camera and larger height of the device. I really want to like this but really worried about the size and camera. Otherwise I will be heading to the S5.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

My one is coming today. I am going to try it out over the next week and see if I can live with the camera and larger height of the device. I really want to like this but really worried about the size and camera. Otherwise I will be heading to the S5.

My concerns as well, please keep us updated.

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

My concerns as well, please keep us updated.

I have had it for about a day size seems fine to me but I have big hands. I am 6'2" also the camera seems to take good pictures. I am very pleased. Better than my N5 and more consistent. The phone is just really nice all around. Right now it looks like a keeper until next year.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch