Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Developer Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    I changed your title because I'm featuring this thread on the blog. Hope you don't mind.
    No problemo :-)

Default Re: HTC One (M8) Developer Edition

Pretty cool they're making the Dev and unlocked versions available right away. Give the people what they want and don't hold it to try and pull on mute sales. Very nice, same wrote colors too

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

What are the advantages of an unlocked boot loader that the developer edition has?

Can the boot loader on the AT&T version be unlocked?

On the device webpage it said:
    Special note about the unlocked bootloader: With an unlocked bootloader, some content and special offers on your device may also be invalidated and cannot be accessed anymore because of invalid DRM security keys. This includes the Google Drive storage offer and content that you may have purchased through a 3rd party vendor and through HTC.

One guy mentioned "in the case of Sony, it can also cause physical functions of the device to not work. For instance, with the Z Ultra (retail or GPE), if you unlock the bootloader and erase those DRM keys, the X Reality function doesn't work, and I think it may also affect some of the sound processing. I'm not saying this will happen on the M8 if you unlock the bootloader, but it's possible". Is that really an issue with the M8 DE?

Is it easier to root and install custom rooms on the developer edition?

With the ATT version I would pay extra for tethering, I think, or is it included with the plan?

With the developer edition would I be able to tether and would I need to pay AT&T any fee for that?

Does the DE support lte on Tmobile if I ever want to switch carriers?

Thanks for any help

Does anyone know if has the Verizon bands?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Yea, HTC uses letstalk.com for their shipments/online store and everything, it ships from Libertyville, IL which is about 10 minutes from my house lol

Developer edition and Google play edition are both unlocked, so the tethering will work/is enabled on the phone already, no hacks/tweaks necessary, technically you're supposed to pay AT&T for tethering but since it's unlocked on the phone there's not much they can do unless you're abusing it/get caught.
    Thanked by:
    Grokr 

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I'm getting hesitant to buy the developer version. I'm interested in getting involved with playing with custom ROMS but if it could cause some stock functionality to not work like described hereWhat does it mean to unlock the boot loader? | Sony Xperia
    then I'll just go with the unlocked version.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted

Those that are buying make sure you are verifying your order. You have to call and answer a few questions....at least I did anyway.

I am on the site now and it says backordered but does not supply a date is the dev edition that much better than the ATT carrier version I don't really plan on doing custom roms i just don't want carrier bloat and i want updates on time from HTC, the GPE is just to much 699.00 vs 649.00 not sure why the google play edition is more then the dev edition to me it should be the same price but oh well any info would be great guys thanks.
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

This is the response I got from T-mobile on twitter regarding whether the dev edition will work --> T-Mobile USA ‏@TMobileHelp 19h
    It looks like it should work in areas that have been refarmed, but it will not have the same coverage as a T-Mobile branded phone.

Checked T-Mobile's twitter feed.. Can't confirm whether or not this tweet ever existed, but it at the moment, it is not present. Possibly deleted? Hopefully, an inaccurate estimation at least.

It was in response to me. It's there.

HTC One (M8) Developer Edition-tweet.jpg

See above.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Website for buying the developer or unlocked version is down, just when I decided which one I wanted ...FAIL :-)

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Hi,

I placed an order for the unlocked M8 on HTCs USA website. It should ship in a week or so. From what I've read this phone supports AT&Ts LTE band. But, I want to be sure before they ship it. Has anyone actually activated the unlocked or developer phone on AT&T and been able to use LTE? Is there anything special AT&T needs to do? Was AT&T willing to do it without giving you any problems? I'll be porting my number from Verizon since their coverage is horrible where I work in the buildings and they have had AT&T install repeaters in the building and others have great service with AT&T in the buildings.

Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification Mackie!

Basic question: Does the unlocked AT&T unit have any of the carrier junk on it?

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

The unlocked one with the ATT bands that you buy directly from HTC does not have any of the carrier bloat ware.

Has anybody actually received their Dev Edition M8 yet? It's still too early, right? I'm curious about the performance difference between a carrier locked version and the unlocked or developers version without the bloat ware. I'd imagine it wouldn't be different, just more storage...right?

OK, one more basic question: Does the unlocked AT&T get updates any faster or differently than a carrier-branded AT&T?

My M8 Dev edition hasn't arrived yet, but I'd imagine the phone is slightly less bogged down in the absence of carrier add ons. Though, that also means no wifi calling via T-Mobile; so, double edged sword. Also, you can expect faster updates with the GPE edition since you won't have to wait for Sense updates to follow the Google revisions.

Does anyone have an idea of what the availability of a stock T-Mobile ROM will be (assuming you buy a GPE/DEV edition and decide to try the carrier ROM)? How difficult would it be to get your hands on that?

Quote Originally Posted by clborden View Post
    Has anybody actually received their Dev Edition M8 yet? It's still too early, right? I'm curious about the performance difference between a carrier locked version and the unlocked or developers version without the bloat ware. I'd imagine it wouldn't be different, just more storage...right?
    I don't believe that the Dev Editions are shipping until 4/3. I don't think performance will be different, just less bloat and faster updates.
    Current Devices: OnePlus One, Note 4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

Just got word from Amazon on the unlocked M8...should see it by the end of the week.

HTC One (M8) Developer Edition-phone.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mackie99 View Post
    Just got word from Amazon on the unlocked M8...should see it by the end of the week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	110287
    Good to hear. Hopefully the ones ordered through HTC will be the same.
    Current Devices: OnePlus One, Note 4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast