Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: M8 or N5

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • HTC One M8

53 63.10%
  • Nexus 5

23 27.38%
  • Other

8 9.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8) or Nexus 5?

Just wondering what you think, HTC One M8 or Nexus 5. If you have a little more time, why? I'm ready to use my T-Mobile Jump, and am deciding between the two.

Default Re: Quick Poll M8 or N5

Quote Originally Posted by zachthebomb13 View Post
    Just wondering what you think, HTC One M8 or Nexus 5. If you have a little more time, why? I'm ready to use my T-Mobile Jump, and am deciding between the two.
    You read my mind, I was just about to put this up, but I was like naaa.

Besides built quality and "maybe" some features... Its not worth the extra 300.. Plus I just ordered my Nexus 5 32GB today !!

M8. I love the look of the phone and the gunmetal finish looks fabulous. I don't use the camera on phones very much, so as long as I can tell what I'm looking at, its good enough for me. Plus, HTC sense is the most polished of all the manufacturer overlays, though this doesn't apply when put against the N5. So basically it comes down to looks, newer chipset, and the fact that the negatives that turn some people off won't affect my use of the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

EDIT: Forgot about the front facing speakers, which I also like
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

rrballer, what do you think? I wasn't too impressed with the M8, to be honest. If only the N5 had front facing speakers, it would be a no brainer. Oh how I love my front facing speakers on my M7...

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstMach View Post
    M8. I love the look of the phone and the gunmetal finish looks fabulous. I don't use the camera on phones very much, so as long as I can tell what I'm looking at, its good enough for me. Plus, HTC sense is the most polished of all the manufacturer overlays, though this doesn't apply when put against the N5. So basically it comes down to looks, newer chipset, and the fact that the negatives that turn some people off won't affect my use of the phone.

The chip set isn't, a huge difference either, 800 to 801.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    My thought too. And, what I love with JUMP, is that if I make a mistake on the phone I purchase, I get a new one in a few months anyways.

Granted, and it doesn't play as much into my decision as the other factors, but it still is a difference.

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

As a Nexus 5 owner who was completely ready and willing to trade it in for the new HTC One, I'm sticking with the Nexus 5.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    As a Nexus 5 owner who was completely ready and willing to trade it in for the new HTC One, I'm sticking with the Nexus 5.
    Any reason why? Also, how is battery life?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Nexus 5.
    1) Better camera from what I have seen on the M8.
    2) Better software, and faster updates
    3) Not as big of a phone, but display is the same size

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

Any reason why? Also, how is battery life?
    I just don't think it's worth the upgrade. Mostly because the camera seems to be not much of an improvement (if any) over the Nexus 5.

rrballer, what do you think? I wasn't too impressed with the M8, to be honest. If only the N5 had front facing speakers, it would be a no brainer. Oh how I love my front facing speakers on my M7...
    The metal build and camera features & speakers are whats better on the M8 vs the Nexus 5.

NOW! are you willing to spend the extra 300 for those certain things is the question? I already have a Nexus 5 on the way and I am happy I made the right choice!

My thought too. And, what I love with JUMP, is that if I make a mistake on the phone I purchase, I get a new one in a few months anyways.
    I also have jump, its a great service. I found out the other day, that they no longer offer only insurance.. they only offer jump now, Which is worth it.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I also have jump, its a great service. I found out the other day, that they no longer offer only insurance.. they only offer jump now, Which is worth it.
    The premium insurance is included with JUMP!

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Nexus 5 I don't like waiting months for my updates.

Nexus FTW

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    The premium insurance is included with JUMP!

Thats the best part!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dperks17 View Post
    Nexus 5 I don't like waiting months for my updates.

Agree.

HTC One for me:

- Better build
    - Better speakers
    - Better screen (assuming the M8's screen is as good as the M7's)
    - Better software (yes I preferred Sense 5 and 5.5 over stock 4.4.2, and yes I had a Nexus 5)
    - Better features (duo camera looks interesting, Zoe's, highlight videos, blinkfeed, IR blaster etc I like)
    - Better battery

Only thing I'm unsure of is the camera. I didn't like the camera of the N5. It got better with the 4.4.2 update, but still didn't think image quality was spectacular. The One (M7) had decent imagery in light and great imagery in low light. I'll have to use the M8 to see if the camera is improved upon the M7's and see if it's better than the Nexus 5.

Software updates I don't care for, because I got really turned off stock android with the Nexus 5. I preferred Sense 5 on Android 4.1 than I did stock Android 4.4.2 on the Nexus 5. On top of that Sense only got better with Sense 5.5 and the 4.4.2 update. I assume Sense 6 is an extension of Sense 5.5 and even better.

The One seems like a more complete package to me and a better device. But then again it does cost more than the N5.
    Podolsky likes this.

I've had a nexus 5 since it came out, but just ordered the new htc one. I'll update tomorrow when I have both and able to compare side by side. But overall the Google Nexus 5 is a great smartphone, it has treated me very well over the last several months and I won't hesitate to come back to Google for the nexus 6!

Thanked by:

I'll keep my Moto X gladly. I get many of the same perks (i.e. fast updates, apps updated in play store, etc) as the Nexus 5 and I'm still on VZW with unlimited data. This phone was a bigger let down than the S5 even thought about being.

Default Re: HTC One (M8) or Nexus 5?

Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    HTC One for me:

- Better build
    - Better speakers (N5 has an appalling speaker)
    - Better screen (assuming the M8's screen is as good as the M7's)
    - Better software (yes I preferred Sense 5 and 5.5 over stock 4.4.2, and yes I had a Nexus 5)
    - Better features (duo camera looks interesting, Zoe's, highlight videos, blinkfeed, IR blaster etc I like)
    - Better battery (N5 had absolutely appalling battery)

Only thing I'm unsure of is the camera. I didn't like the camera of the N5. It got better with the 4.4.2 update, but still didn't think image quality was spectacular. The One (M7) had decent imagery in light and great imagery in low light. I'll have to use the M8 to see if the camera is improved upon the M7's and see if it's better than the Nexus 5.

Software updates I don't care for, because I got really turned off stock android with the Nexus 5. I preferred Sense 5 on Android 4.1 than I did stock Android 4.4.2 on the Nexus 5. On top of that Sense only got better with Sense 5.5 and the 4.4.2 update. I assume Sense 6 is an extension of Sense 5.5 and even better.

The One seems like a more complete package to me and a better device. But then again it does cost more than the N5.
    I seriously don't know where this is all coming from....

All you need is Xposed and Franco to make N5 a perfect phone. Speaker is great and loud, battery life is amazing (5 hours of screen time and crazy standby time), customizable screen colors to make it 100% perfect to your eyes, almost unlimited amount of customization with Franco and xposed .

I also have Moto X which is great, but as far as speaker and battery I just don't see much difference between the two. Yes, moto is better but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    I seriously don't know where this is all coming from....

All you need is Xposed and Franco to make N5 a perfect phone. Speaker is great and loud, battery life is amazing (5 hours of screen time and crazy standby time), customizable screen colors to make it 100% perfect to your eyes, almost unlimited amount of customization with Franco and xposed .

I also have Moto X which is great, but as far as speaker and battery I just don't see much difference between the two. Yes, moto is better but not by much.
    I don't root/flash my phones. I shouldn't have to. Don't care about Franco and Xposed or any of that.

I didn't find the speaker on the N5 to be great (certainly not when compared to the HTC One). It was soft, sounded tinny and pretty poor quality. As far as battery, I was getting poor 3.5-4 hour screen time when I had the N5. The battery, speaker and camera were the reasons why I got rid of my N5.

I think the N5 is a good phone, just not a great one. For the price it's excellent, but when I compare it to other flagships, I felt it fell short.

Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    I don't root/flash my phones. I shouldn't have to. Don't care about Franco and Xposed or any of that.

I didn't find the speaker on the N5 to be great (certainly not when compared to the HTC One). It was soft, sounded tinny and pretty poor quality. As far as battery, I was getting poor 3.5-4 hour screen time when I had the N5. The battery, speaker and camera were the reasons why I got rid of my N5.

I think the N5 is a good phone, just not a great one. For the price it's excellent, but when I compare it to other flagships, I felt it fell short.
    I root all my phones same day I buy them. I just don't see the point missing out on great features root can offer. I have no doubt that HTC One speakers are better, obviously.....but compared to MX (which has one of the better speakers and battery life), N5 is just fine....I REALLY have hard time draining my battery in a full day.

At 30% now with 4:20 of screen time and rebooted my phone bunch of times due to installations etc...usually can do even better.

OP buy through google play if you decide on the nexus. It's cheaper.
    iPhone 6+ & Galaxy Note 4 user. Google Glass Explorer.

None.
    Both lack things that I need.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by deadp1xel View Post
    OP buy through google play if you decide on the nexus. It's cheaper.
    It may be cheaper in the long run, but I can't get it on a installment plan, and can't trade it in in six months like I can with JUMP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast