Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
Like Tree35Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    HTC did it again! They will be releasing another great device. I for one love my current HTC One. However I will be forced to skip this one I think. Here are my main reasons.

    1) My #1 reason is pricing. Its just to much money. I have been buying a new phone every single year now and I think its time to slow down. We need to see phones drop in price. However I understand HTC needs to make money at the same time. But for me its just to much.

    2) Carrier versions will just suck...Plain and simple. Fault of HTC? Not really. Att will have bloatware, stand in the way of timely updates (Granted they have gotten better) and so on...Missing the battery saver mode already is just one GREAT example! :P

    3) I Wanted more colors but the gray was good looking.

    So while I will skip out on it for my own personal reasons I still look forward to hearing from the other AC user base with how awesome the phone is! Until I need a new phone I will sit back and let my jealous rage on! :P
    Last edited by cgardnervt; 03-26-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com
    quicksilver53 likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    I appreciate your honest assessment. I too will not be buying the M8 (at least right away). This is because I anticipate that other color options are coming later and the possibility of a follow-up to the One Max. In my opinion, all of the hardware upgrades are welcome, along with the Sense optimizations.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    coronaboy10 and cgardnervt like this.
  3. #3  
    KMachine's Avatar

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    ROM
    MikG v2.6x

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    For some of the core HTC apps, they are moving them to the Google Play, so they can be updated without carrier intervention and the standard OTA process.
    HTC Evo 4G -- MikG v2.6x
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Thanked by 2:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by KMachine View Post
    For some of the core HTC apps, they are moving them to the Google Play, so they can be updated without carrier intervention and the standard OTA process.
    Oh I heard that as well. Its just to much of a "stand in the way" still for me. While I'm happy to see HTC make some changes to help its just not enough to push me over the edge to run out and buy it. (Not from a carrier anyways)
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    18,607 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,978 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    Oh I heard that as well. Its just to much of a "stand in the way" still for me. While I'm happy to see HTC make some changes to help its just not enough to push me over the edge to run out and buy it. (Not from a carrier anyways)
    I believe there is a GPe. Granted you are paying full price for it, but at least your updates will be faster.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    cgardnervt likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    Oh I heard that as well. Its just to much of a "stand in the way" still for me. While I'm happy to see HTC make some changes to help its just not enough to push me over the edge to run out and buy it. (Not from a carrier anyways)
    If I were in your position I would probably think the same, since you have the M7. Buying off contract at retail pricing is a lot to swallow.

    I also would like a cyan blue like they did last year with international variants, but I like the gray over black this year too =\
    Thanked by:
    cgardnervt likes this.
  7. #7  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    I would be looking at the Google Play Edition...and that starts at $700US...2x the price of the Nexus 5. I like what I've seen of the M8 but is it 2x better than the Nexus 5?? I'm gonna have to go with NO on that one.


    via the tablet
    Live long and prosper.


    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by KMachine View Post
    For some of the core HTC apps, they are moving them to the Google Play, so they can be updated without carrier intervention and the standard OTA process.
    I'm thrilled they are following the path of Motorola and doing this. My Moto X has constantly gotten better due to the steady stream of updates through the Play Store. HTC is very smart to do this, since it cuts the carrier out of the process for updates to key apps.
    Current Devices: OnePlus One, Moto X, HTC One M8, 2013 Nexus 7

    Retired Devices: Sony Xperia Z2, Nexus 5, LG G3, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

    Android Addict
    cgardnervt and darkoman4 like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    If I had an M7, I wouldn't upgrade either. Not enough in the M8 to switch, plus some firmware in the M8 is going on the M7 anyways.
    cgardnervt likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    They need to drop the price because you won't buy it because you buy too many new phones? Ok....... Oh and they also don't have the colors you want,lmao


    Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

    I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Thanked by 2:
    KSDroid01 likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    HTC did it again! They will be releasing another great device. I for one love my current HTC One. However I will be forced to skip this one I think. Here are my main reasons.

    1) My #1 reason is pricing. Its just to much money. I have been buying a new phone every single year now and I think its time to slow down. We need to see phones drop in price. However I understand HTC needs to make money at the same time. But for me its just to much.

    2) Carrier versions will just suck...Plain and simple. Fault of HTC? Not really. Att will have bloatware, stand in the way of timely updates (Granted they have gotten better) and so on...Missing the battery saver mode already is just one GREAT example! :P

    3) I Wanted more colors but the gray was good looking.

    So while I will skip out on it for my own personal reasons I still look forward to hearing from the other AC user base with how awesome the phone is! Until I need a new phone I will sit back and let my jealous rage on! :P
    Sounds like good reasons not to buy ANY phone right now. I don't get caught up in the phone geek thing. Every two years I find the best phone available and buy it. That's why I'm buying the new One.
    mfreeland and cgardnervt like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    They need to drop the price because you won't buy it because you buy too many new phones? Ok....... Oh and they also don't have the colors you want,lmao


    Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Yes so I will skip over this version of the One. But keep in mind that this is my opinion. I'm not asking you to agree with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    Sounds like good reasons not to buy ANY phone right now. I don't get caught up in the phone geek thing. Every two years I find the best phone available and buy it. That's why I'm buying the new One.
    Sounds like a great choice! I'm sure you will get a good 2 years out of it. Still jealous!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com
  13. #13  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    I am, unfortunately spoiled. 2 years seems like an awfully long time to only use 1 phone when so many other ones that are also nice are available. Kinda like a 2 year marriage I guess.


    via the tablet
    Live long and prosper.


    Thanked by:
    PAC757 
    madlaw1071 and cgardnervt like this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Yeah, I'm skipping it partly because of the price (though I could do installments through Sprint, but my wife's already got her LG G2 on that) and partly because most of the software enhancements will make it to my M7 in the future. That said, I really like the dual camera thing, and that's really the only thing I'd consider upgrading for. Depth of field is desperately needed on camera phones to get them to really start approaching real cameras.
    cgardnervt likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I am, unfortunately spoiled. 2 years seems like an awfully long time to only use 1 phone when so many other ones that are also nice are available.
    via the tablet
    Personally, I would find switching phones in less than 2 years to be nothing but annoying, between the transferring, learning a new layout, etc. Even though I use it for my business, the phone itself is not a big enough part of my life that I enjoy the process. In honesty, not much has changed in tech over the last two years and if it weren't for the fact that I find the sound on the original One X to be too quiet, I'd probably stick with that one for another two years.
  16. #16  
    Haalcyon's Avatar

    Posts
    5,843 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

    Default Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    Personally, I would find switching phones in less than 2 years to be nothing but annoying, between the transferring, learning a new layout, etc. Even though I use it for my business, the phone itself is not a big enough part of my life that I enjoy the process. In honesty, not much has changed in tech over the last two years and if it weren't for the fact that I find the sound on the original One X to be too quiet, I'd probably stick with that one for another two years.
    One word...h3r3sy!


    /jk


    via the tablet
    Live long and prosper.


    darkoman4 likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I am, unfortunately spoiled. 2 years seems like an awfully long time to only use 1 phone when so many other ones that are also nice are available. Kinda like a 2 year marriage I guess.


    via the tablet
    I buy tablets in between to keep myself occupied lol. Although I'm contemplating just doing the phone lease thing since don't touch my previous phones anyway when I get a new one :/
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    As someone who has had the flagship phone at or around launch on Sprint/Nextel for the last 10-12 years, I too will forego the new One unless something happens to my M7. There are two main reasons for me:

    1. There really isn't anything that M7 can't do that leaves me wanting. Performance, storage, and screen are all top notch to me. I simply don't have that feeling that the phone is dated like I did after a year with Evo line. Extended battery life is always welcome, but a 15-20% increase alone doesn't warrant a new phone for me.

    2. Android itself seems to be slowing down. For the past five years you needed a new phone to handle the latest iteration of Android which offered big steps as far as features and performance. Recently going from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat, it's become apparent that Android, at least for the near future, will just be refined and any major functionality upgrades will be rare.

    I'm sure it's an upgrade to the M7, but I can't justify paying money for it.
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
  19. #19  
    DrJay1's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Talking about carrier models - it is my understanding that phones sold by Verizon are required to be unlocked. Am I misinformed?
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Why don't you just get the Google version if you dont want the bloatware?
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    As someone who has had the flagship phone at or around launch on Sprint/Nextel for the last 10-12 years, I too will forego the new One unless something happens to my M7. There are two main reasons for me:

    1. There really isn't anything that M7 can't do that leaves me wanting. Performance, storage, and screen are all top notch to me. I simply don't have that feeling that the phone is dated like I did after a year with Evo line. Extended battery life is always welcome, but a 15-20% increase alone doesn't warrant a new phone for me.

    2. Android itself seems to be slowing down. For the past five years you needed a new phone to handle the latest iteration of Android which offered big steps as far as features and performance. Recently going from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat, it's become apparent that Android, at least for the near future, will just be refined and any major functionality upgrades will be rare.

    I'm sure it's an upgrade to the M7, but I can't justify paying money for it.
    Amen. Sticking with my One for another year. Sense 6 should breathe some new life into it. Crossing my fingers to get the double-tap to unlock feature.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    2,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Why don't you just get the Google version if you dont want the bloatware?
    To me personally its just not worth the price for its investment for what you get. While its a great device I just can not spend that type of money on a device going forward in my mind. So the M7 will hold me over until later unless I break it then of course I will look at what avenue to take.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    My Blog: C2JBlog.com
  23. #23  
    NickA's Avatar

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    The main reason I'm not buying the new One is the size. I really don't want a taller phone. I currently switch between a LG G2 and iPhone 5S (and sometimes my DNA). I really wish I could get the specs of the M8 (or any flagship phone) in a 4.3" - 4.5" screen.
    paul-c and B0WIE like this.
  24. #24  
    thebizz's Avatar
    phone addict

    Posts
    3,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    I will be skipping this phone primarily because of the camera and battery size. I had the m7 and minus low light shots the camera was pretty mediocre. And I'm pretty sure if lg could fit a 3000mah battery into a smaller package HTC could have used something larger than 2600mah. While I understand HTC has the power saving mode. I don't want to rely on that to get great battery life I simply want to unplug my phone and use it all day without issue. Don't think this phone will enable that.
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Why I will not get the new HTC One (M8)

    I've had and used the HTC One,S3,S4,N5,N4 and they are all very good to great phones. But I am staying with my LGG2. It has the biggest screen in the smallest,lightest package. It has an awesome camera ( using Jishnu's Camera mod),the best battery life I've ever had on a smartphone. The M8 and S5 look like really good phones but they aren't that much of an improvement over the LGG2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HTC One (M8) root
    By Goofypook in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM
  2. Verizon HTC One (M8): Tap & Pay WORKS
    By SuperTongue in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM
  3. HTC One (M8): IFIXIT Teardown
    By ugxvibe in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 10:13 AM
  4. Problem with the auto brightness!!
    By diecast10 in forum Moto G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions