Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8): Unlocked vs. Developer Edition

I've been looking everywhere, but I'm not sure what the differences are between the two. Hopefully someone would be able to shed some light as I have already ordered the developer edition yesterday.

Is the only difference an unlocked bootloader?
    Current Devices: OnePlus One, Note 4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

Default Re: Unlocked vs. Developer Edition

I'm interested in this as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B0WIE View Post
    I'm interested in this as well.
    I did some further research. It looks like the only difference is indeed the unlockable bootloader.

AC just did a post on this.

http://www.androidcentral.com/develo...m8-ready-order

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

Yes jet only difference is the unlocked boot loader. It was same with last year except the developer version only came in 64 and unlocked in 32 then.

Quote Originally Posted by mhettrich View Post
    I did some further research. It looks like the only difference is indeed the unlockable bootloader.

AC just did a post on this.

Developer and unlocked HTC One M8 ready to order | Android Central
    Thanks, does that mean that if I'm going off-contract, I can buy either one with no issues? I don't plan to do any modding or programming, or whatever.

Thanks, does that mean that if I'm going off-contract, I can buy either one with no issues? I don't plan to do any modding or programming, or whatever.
    You would be fine with either one but if you're not going to tinker them I would just get the unlocked. The reason I say it is for resale. A lot of normal users may get scared off when they see developer device or something. Sure there are buyers but that number is a percentage of those interested in the device in total. So for that reason I go unlocked. But you can't lost either way . Good luck.
    Thanked by:
    B0WIE 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I believe that is correct. I'd lean towards the developer edition in case you ever do decide to root your phone. Otherwise they are identical.

Android Addict

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Apart from the bootloader are there any differences in the frequencies they support?
    LTE for example?
    I can't find any info on the HTC site.

See the link above. Primarily supports AT&T.
    Thanked by:
    Loiter 

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Τhanks, it's different than last year's unlocked and it supports more LTE frequencies.
    Good news.

After reading some of these threads I'm still not clear.
    HTC website describes the Developer as "'SIM Unlocked"

So this thread seems to indicate that the only dif between Unlocked and Dev is that the Unlocked is...unlocked. That's confusing, because HTC says the Dev is unlocked, and the unlocked is certainly unlocked...So what, really, is the dif? Could it be that the Dev does not have Sense?
    So the Dev is simply a

from "phondog" March 26-2014

" If you're curious about the differences between the two models, here's how they break down:

•Unlocked: $649.99, available in Gunmetal Grey, Glacial Silver and Amber Gold, comes SIM unlocked and ready for use with a GSM carrier
    •Developer: $649.99, available in Gunmetal Grey and Amber Gold, comes SIM unlocked and can easily have its bootloader unlocked for loading custom ROMs

Both models are based off of the AT&T version of the One (M8), meaning that they include support for 2G 850/900/1800/1900MHz, 21Mbps HSPA+ 3G 850/1900/2100MHz and 4G LTE 700/850/AWS/1800/1900/2600MHz. It's also worth pointing out that these models are only $10 more than the full retail price of AT&T's One (M8), so anyone that's thinking about getting a commitment-free unit from AT&T may want to shell out an extra Hamilton and get one of these bloat-free versions instead."

So, this blog says that the Dev is NOT unlocked. HTC website is wrong? So essentially it appears that you're paying $50 for HTC to unlock the phone instead of you. Am I interpreting this correctly?

then, from about the same time (release) HTCSource states:
    " The Developer Edition is available in Gunmetal Gray and Amber Gold but if you go with the Unlocked model you get the Glacial Silver as well. both phones come with 32GB of internal storage, so the only real difference between them is the unlocked bootloader on the Developer Edition. "

What's up with that? They say the only dif is the Dev is UNLOCKED? And what, the Unlocked is...LOCKED? WTF?

OK, well, here we go. I got my answer, I hope. And it's good news...but confusing.
    Right from HTC chat session:
    The Unlocked version is SIM UNLOCKED but bootloader is LOCKED (funny, eh?)
    The Developer Edition is SIM UNLOCKED AND BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED

And the Unlocked is $50 more.
    There are no doubt many people who are purchasing the "Unlocked" version only to find out that it is bootloader locked.HTC One (M8): Unlocked vs. Developer Edition-htc-chat-2014-05-08.jpg