Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    PAC757's Avatar

    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

    Default Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Hello all, anyone on here have a Verizon M8 that can verify whether or not there is no stock internet browser, only Chrome? I'm awaiting mine to be sent though our corporate account at work, I read on one of the threads that the Verizon M8 only had Chrome as a browser no stock internet browser.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 09:53 PM.
  2. #2  
    DrWu's Avatar

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    Can confirm - The only included browser is Chrome.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    I posted regarding this. Still trying to figure out why it didn't come with it. I love the stock browser. It would be ridiculous to not be able to use it or at least download it. It is my favorite browser.
    Thanked by 2:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    The old "stock" browser was pretty similar to Dolphin browser in terms of the "feel" and function - I suggest trying out the Dolphin browser if you really miss it. You can still view Flash videos through it as well as use some useful add-ons for blocking unwanted content and such There's also FireFox with similar functionality, though it's slower than Dolphin browser.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    LOL Verizon.
  6. #6  
    NickA's Avatar

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    This is a deal breaker for me. One of the things I liked most about my DNA was the stock browser. Specifically the way it would reformat the page and text when zooming. It's so annoying to have to scroll left/right when reading. This was the only browser I found that resized like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    Chrome comes from Google, but most of you are saying that Chrome is not a "Stock" browser.... LOL!!!

    Ever since Chrome came out of it's beta for Android, on almost every Android device I have owned Chrome was at that point the ONLY browser... except maybe the S4 I currently own, but personally I like Chrome over the S4's "Stock" browser any day of the week or year. Just my opinion.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    Only browser is Chrome. Definitely searched through the app drawer a few times thinking i had to miss it. Im fine with chome. Maybe once custom roms start coming out it they will have it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    PAC757's Avatar

    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    Thanks for the replies, I don't have a problem with Chrome, I guess I'll just download Dolphin if I need Flash for any websites.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    CyD13's Avatar

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    This is a deal breaker for me. One of the things I liked most about my DNA was the stock browser. Specifically the way it would reformat the page and text when zooming. It's so annoying to have to scroll left/right when reading. This was the only browser I found that resized like this.
    I'm not sure why it would be. There are plenty of browsers, including Firefox, that do this

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  
    astarling10's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.2 Stock Rom

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    I have the AT&T M8 and it has the HTC browser and Chrome. Who knows why the carriers change stuff just for the hell of it.

    Posted via Android Central App on the HTC M8
  12. #12  

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    I've been running kitKat for months now on my S4 and in sorry to tell you that Kitkat made browsing the internet much worse on android. I felt the same way as you do when I first discovered it. Your only option is dolphin browser with their jet pack app. It's not just the M8, the S5 does come with it's own browser but it behaves just like Chrome.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyD13 View Post
    I'm not sure why it would be. There are plenty of browsers, including Firefox, that do this

    Posted via Android Central App
    Not once you update to Kitkat. Kitkat pretty much ruined every browser in the play store.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Quote Originally Posted by astarling10 View Post
    I have the AT&T M8 and it has the HTC browser and Chrome. Who knows why the carriers change stuff just for the hell of it.

    Posted via Android Central App on the HTC M8
    Does the HTC browser have text reflow? I'm guessing it doesn't.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Quote Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post
    Does the HTC browser have text reflow? I'm guessing it doesn't.
    It does but the HTC browser is apparently AWOL in this phone. Still seem to have it on my UK M7 thankfully.

    Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Windows Phone Central Retired Moderator
    Android Central
    Visitor
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ratcliffe View Post
    It does but the HTC browser is apparently AWOL in this phone
    Quote Originally Posted by astarling10 View Post
    I have the AT&T M8 and it has the HTC browser and Chrome. Who knows why the carriers change stuff just for the hell of it
    Sorry Dan, but it's only AWOL in the Verizon version apparently.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Quote Originally Posted by LindtChocolate View Post
    Sorry Dan, but it's only AWOL in the Verizon version apparently.
    Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant that it seems it's only AWOL in the Verizon version of the M8. It's 5am and my sleeping pattern is borked, you can't exactly expect my every sentence to come out correctly when I struggle enough when I am running at optimum efficiency! Lol

    Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Windows Phone Central Retired Moderator
    Android Central
    Visitor
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    I looked at the phone at the Verizon store and searched numerous times for the stock HTC browser, and I was shocked to not find it anywhere. I thought that someone had accidentely deleted or hidden it. I hate to say it, but the text reflow is the only feature keeping me in the HTC camp; without that, it is just another phone!

    How do we download/sideload the famous HTC browser? Has it been confirmed to be present in other versions (AT&T, etc.) of this phone?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Chrome works for me. ha
  20. #20  
    astarling10's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.2 Stock Rom

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Quote Originally Posted by calvin35 View Post
    Does the HTC browser have text reflow? I'm guessing it doesn't.
    In not entirely sure what text reflow is but I'll look for it. I'm using HTC browser as default now.

    Posted via Android Central App on the HTC M8
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Quote Originally Posted by astarling10 View Post
    In not entirely sure what text reflow is but I'll look for it. I'm using HTC browser as default now.

    Posted via Android Central App on the HTC M8
    When you zoom into text on a webpage, the text will reformat to fit the space perfectly so you don't have to pan left or right. It is a neat feature that I haven't used in years because I prefer the Chrome browser.
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  
    astarling10's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.2 Stock Rom

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    When you zoom into text on a webpage, the text will reformat to fit the space perfectly so you don't have to pan left or right. It is a neat feature that I haven't used in years because I prefer the Chrome browser.
    wow I never noticed that. it does have it on my phone.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfone2 View Post
    Has it been confirmed to be present in other versions (AT&T, etc.) of this phone?
    Stock browser is there and on the main dock in the T-Mobile version.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: ? Verizon HTC One M8 no stock browser ?

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Chrome comes from Google, but most of you are saying that Chrome is not a "Stock" browser.... LOL!!!

    Ever since Chrome came out of it's beta for Android, on almost every Android device I have owned Chrome was at that point the ONLY browser... except maybe the S4 I currently own, but personally I like Chrome over the S4's "Stock" browser any day of the week or year. Just my opinion.
    Agreed

    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): no stock browser?

    I was ticked at first and hard reset a few times thinking since I went Online you can see old stock browsers on other M8. Lost some messages and was really ticked,was even thinking about getting my M7 back. But played with chrome for a hour or so and learned how to set it up and know I'm happy to use chrome. like it better then old stock browser which didn't have flash ether.

    You can link your phone up to your computer by Bluetooth and send all your bookmarks automatically from computer to phone on chrome its kind of slick.

    From the one M8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HTC One (M8): What is everyone using for cases?
    By DrWu in forum HTC One (M8) Accessories
    Replies: 252
    Last Post: Yesterday, 09:35 PM
  2. Monster M7 tablet - anyone have one?
    By Kelemvor33 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM
  3. Verizon HTC One (M8): In-Store Experience Not Good
    By keri2000 in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM
  4. How do your enter stock recovery on Android phones?
    By ahawkua in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM

Posting Permissions