Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sc650
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ken_FSU's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Verizon HTC One (M8) - No SMS Notifications?

    Hi guys,

    New (obviously) HTC One user here. It's my tenth smart phone across all four platforms and I can easily say it's my favorite phone that I've used. Camera is perfectly serviceable too, and more than capable to taking solid, print-worthy pictures. Would love to see some software tweaks too, as it seems like the final picture saved to the camera roll is of slightly lesser quality than the picture in the viewfinder, if that makes sense.

    Anyway, weirdest thing. I have tried everything, and I just can't seem to turn on notifications for the stock messaging program. Have toggled notifications on and off, rebooted, etc. No luck. All other apps deliver notifications seamlessly. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 09:11 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_FSU View Post
    Hi guys,

    New (obviously) HTC One user here. It's my tenth smart phone across all four platforms and I can easily say it's my favorite phone that I've used. Camera is perfectly serviceable too, and more than capable to taking solid, print-worthy pictures. Would love to see some software tweaks too, as it seems like the final picture saved to the camera roll is of slightly lesser quality than the picture in the viewfinder, if that makes sense.

    Anyway, weirdest thing. I have tried everything, and I just can't seem to turn on notifications for the stock messaging program. Have toggled notifications on and off, rebooted, etc. No luck. All other apps deliver notifications seamlessly. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Notifications are working ok for me. Make sure you're using the HTC messaging app, not the Verizon one that is initially the default messaging app. The HTC app provides notifications as expected.
  3. #3  
    sc650's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    have you tried the ... more settings ? there should be a default sms app. switch it to messages.
    Thanked by 2:
    mixercub and GolferChris68 like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Ken_FSU's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    FIXED.

    Thanks a million.

    Much appreciated.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    Quote Originally Posted by sc650 View Post
    have you tried the ... more settings ? there should be a default sms app. switch it to messages.
    Why would you use the HTC app instead of hangouts?

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    Settings, ... More, Default sms app
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    Quote Originally Posted by sc650 View Post
    have you tried the ... more settings ? there should be a default sms app. switch it to messages.
    This was very helpful! Thanks so much! :-)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Why would you use the HTC app instead of hangouts?

    Posted via Android Central App
    thegrants82, I took your question seriously and tried to read up on the hangouts app, but really didn't find any true review of it. Please let me know what it actually is!
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    Thanks for this! Just got my m8 today and was having the same issues. Damn Verizon and their stupid bloatware!
    Quote Originally Posted by sc650 View Post
    have you tried the ... more settings ? there should be a default sms app. switch it to messages.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8) - No SMS Notifications?

    I have set up my default SMS app to a 3rd party program, HelloSMS (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ellotext.hello) and I don't get SMS or email notifications on my lockscreen. I've confirmed all my settings are correct and the default programs are set up. No go. Any ideas?
  10. #10  
    NickA's Avatar

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Why would you use the HTC app instead of hangouts?

    Posted via Android Central App
    To each their own probably. I actually like the Verizon messaging app. I do want to try Hangouts, but I've heard messages are sometimes delayed or not delivered. Have you experienced that?

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    714 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8) - No SMS Notifications?

    I've been using Handcent for years and I love it. Got it set up just the way I like it. It is setup as my default sms and I do get notifications on my lock screen in the form of a pop-up and the notification light works too

    Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8) - No SMS Notifications?

    Hi everybody,
    I just got my M8 a couple of days ago, Awesome phone, I didnt like the Verizon messaging either so I just changed it to the SMS messaging app. But now I cant find the icon to send a message. The red Verizon icon with my message history wont let me send a text message. Where do I find the icon to send a message?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    To each their own probably. I actually like the Verizon messaging app. I do want to try Hangouts, but I've heard messages are sometimes delayed or not delivered. Have you experienced that?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I like the Verizon messaging app too. I use it to sync with my tablet.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8) - No SMS Notifications?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patd4u View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I just got my M8 a couple of days ago, Awesome phone, I didnt like the Verizon messaging either so I just changed it to the SMS messaging app. But now I cant find the icon to send a message. The red Verizon icon with my message history wont let me send a text message. Where do I find the icon to send a message?
    Assuming you went into Settings and changed your default messaging app to the stock Htc messaging app. On your home screen, tap the center icon on the dock (grid of dots) to open the app drawer, scroll down until you find an app labeled Messages, that's the one. You can press and hold it until you feel a haptic feedback and drag it to your home screen if you like.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8) - No SMS Notifications?

    Your advice really helped me! I just got my M8 yesterday and was having the same problem! I tried the above methods,yours was spot on thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. How do I turn off "Sent" email notifications Samsung Galaxy S4
    By Patrick Beihse in forum Rogers Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 09:53 AM
  2. Armband for HTC One (M8)
    By SuperTongue in forum HTC One (M8) Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
  3. HTC's Biggest Problem?
    By RockyMtnRedRaider in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 11:22 PM
  4. HTC One (M8): Developer Edition vs. Unlocked
    By Beedog1221 in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 09:57 PM
  5. HTC Gallery Update
    By ugxvibe in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions